Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For Those of You With 10+ Credit Cards... A Few Questions

tag
Johnny_Favorite
Regular Contributor

For Those of You With 10+ Credit Cards... A Few Questions

First off, I have many cards in such a short time, I am worried about the possible negative effects long-term (if there are any).

1. If you could do it over again, would you still apply for so many cards?

2. Have your cards ever caused any problems for you with getting other credit?

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
adavis425
Established Contributor

Re: For Those of You With 10+ Credit Cards... A Few Questions

@Johnny_Favorite wrote:

First off, I have many cards in such a short time, I am worried about the possible negative effects long-term (if there are any).

My apps were carefully considered and planned. Each card was deliberate and gained with a specific purpose in mind. So if I had to do it over again, yes, I would in the same way. I can honestly say I have all the cards I set out to get and have nothing on my card wish list. They have in no way hindered my ability to obtain other credit.

AmEx Platinum | AmEx BCP | AmEx Delta Gold | CSP | Chase Freedom | NFCU cashRewards Visa Sig | NFCU Plat MC | WM MC | Discover it | JCP

Message 2 of 15
p-
Valued Contributor

@Johnny_Favorite wrote:

1. Yes, but just the 5 that I have.  I think that's plenty, and will probably drop one if I add one.  I have a good spread of statement dates so it's easy to manage utilization, and a good mix of different card types.  Any more than that and I'd really skew my AAOA. 

2.  Yes.  I added three of them in the same year, and then applied for CSP.  The recon rep told me that I had a lot of new credit, and she really wanted to see how I handled that before extending me any more.  She specifically pointed out that they were all only 6 months old.  Later, after the cards were over a year old, I had someone from the same department give me the CLI to 10k.  Not a word about number of accounts or young accounts.  I think it has a worse effect short term than long term.

I don't know if it's true, but I imagine one could get higher limits with less cards.  I'd rather have that than a lot of cards adding up to a high limit anyway.  Unless you are a serious rewards junkie, I don't think there's real value in having a bunch of cards.  A few cards with the features that fit my spending patterns is all I need for now.

Message 3 of 15
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@Johnny_Favorite wrote:

1. Yes

2. Not really. Recently Chase only gave a 1000 increase Smiley Sad. Everyone else has said nothing of it and I have gotten nice approvals.

Message 4 of 15
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@adavis425 wrote:

@Johnny_Favorite wrote:

My apps were carefully considered and planned. Each card was deliberate and gained with a specific purpose in mind. So if I had to do it over again, yes, I would in the same way. I can honestly say I have all the cards I set out to get and have nothing on my card wish list. They have in no way hindered my ability to obtain other credit.

+1, in total agreement. 

15 cards here, all for a specific purpose. all for a specific goal in mind.  I would also do it all over again and in the same way -- it's what got me to where I want to be.  There are no more (attainable) cards that I will pursue.  Having the cards I have and the limits I have allowed me to get the CLI's and CL's that I wanted.

Message 5 of 15
E150GT
Frequent Contributor

This is interesting. I really cant even utilize the cards I have. I cant imagine 10 or more!

CSP-$8700, Amex BCE-17.2k, Chase Freedom-$5700
Discover It-$6600, USAA MC-$5900 Ink Bold- $12k United Explorer-$5k
Message 6 of 15
QAMngrGirl
Frequent Contributor

@Johnny_Favorite wrote:

1. If you could do it over again, would you still apply for so many cards? I don't think I would have gotten my Macy's card. It's a toy limit but hopefully their promos & discounts (seasonal) will make it a little more useful. Does add to my AAoA & Util though Smiley Happy  My (3) rebuilder/starter cards that I still have have progressed nicely (for the most part), and were needed to get me on the good road I travel now. I don't regret the Orchard I applied for, and just recently closed either, it did help me start building a good profile.

2. Have your cards ever caused any problems for you with getting other credit?  I know now that I should have hit up some of my CC's for CLI's prior to getting my Barclay's NFL Card. No biggie though, I need to learn to be patient!

Message 7 of 15
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

@Johnny_Favorite wrote:

1. Yep, just as many but I would have done it sooner in life. Should have had an AMEX 15-20 years ago. Should have been earning rewards that long too. 

2. Actually it seems I am getting higher limits with each successive card. Never issues with other types of credit, might even help a bit as long as utilization stays low. 

Message 8 of 15
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

@Johnny_Favorite wrote:

i probably wouldnt apply for as many cards (at 10 right now) 

i had 2 for 2 years then a third last january and 6 from this past summer and 1 from december(no pull) 

i havent had problems getting other cards except for the fact chase doesn't consider store cards. 

i have 5 store cards and 5 major cards. (including a chase card now) 

i would probably apply for less store cards but thats all i could get at the time. (and most limits have grown nicely)

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 9 of 15
jefftca925
Established Contributor

I'm currently possessing 29 cards and most of them I've gotten in the last 2 years or so.  Haven't had an issue with getting any one of them EXCEPT when I applied for a Barclay's NFL Extra Points card last September.  I had just received a CLI on my US Air card the month before and the analyst didn't want to extend me any more credit.  I wasn't interested in getting more credit I just wanted to be able to take advantage of the $400 they were giving for a $1k spend.  So I split my US Air limit in two and BANG... an NFL card!  All of my other issuers have been very generous with CLs and considering all of the free points and miles I've gotten I would definitely do it again...

...and just so everyone knows... no AAs, no CLDs, and I PIF every single month and rarely report a balance.  I use CCs to my benefit.  I seriously believe that DEBT is the DEVIL and if you let him into your house you will be in a world of trouble.... can I get an "amen"! Smiley Very Happy

CCs: Chase Freedom VS 12.9k, CSP VISA Sg 13k, BofA Amex 24.5k, Discover 12.5k, US Bank Cash+ Visa Sg 17k, Macy's Amex 8k/1.5k, Gap Visa 10k, Best Buy 11.1k, Citi TY MC 10.8k, Citi AA Amex 6k, Nordstrom VS 10k, Costco Amex 12k, BofA CR VS 5k, Amex BCP 13.5k, Amex ED 5k, Sears MC 9k, HD 7k, Target 600, Amazon 7k, US Bank MC 15k, US Airways MC 8k, NFL Visa 4k, Patelco Visa 10k, Penfed PR VS 44.6k, Chase Hyatt VS 8k, Citi Simplicity 13.3k, PayPal MC 7.5k, BBVA Visa 4k, WF VS 14k, FNBO Amex 14.1k, OCCU VISA 15k, TR Visa Sg 16.3k, C1 QS Visa 11k, FRN MC 15k, HSN 4k, Saks WEMC 10k/4k, Chase Ink 18k, Arrival WEMC 10k, Ebates VS 8k, Orbitz VS 12k, NASA V 30k, USBk FP VS 21.5k, DC 30k, VirgAm 15k, Sams MC 15k, Amex Bz Gold, Amex SC 10k, BofW Bz MC 18k
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.