cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For any USBank Altitude Cardholders Buying GC's

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

For any USBank Altitude Cardholders Buying GC's

Stop. If you want to keep your card

http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.com/2017/05/09/gift-cards-altitude-reserve/
FICO 09 TU= 787 (Aug) EQ= 774 (Aug) EX= 801 (Aug) Favorites: Citi DC, AMEX Gold and U.S. Bank Cash+
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Moderator

Re: For any USBank Altitude Cardholders Buying GC's


@Djgrolyos wrote:
Stop. If you want to keep your card

http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.com/2017/05/09/gift-cards-altitude-reserve/

That's not quite what the article says.  It's more of a warning for those buying lots of them and that's true for any credit card.

Message 2 of 8
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: For any USBank Altitude Cardholders Buying GC's

I actually didn't say that's what the article said. That is what I said. I could have been more specific and go into detail but I assumed posting the link would do the same thing as me rambling all the details.
FICO 09 TU= 787 (Aug) EQ= 774 (Aug) EX= 801 (Aug) Favorites: Citi DC, AMEX Gold and U.S. Bank Cash+
Message 3 of 8
Highlighted
Moderator

Re: For any USBank Altitude Cardholders Buying GC's


@Djgrolyos wrote:
I actually didn't say that's what the article said. That is what I said. I could have been more specific and go into detail but I assumed posting the link would do the same thing as me rambling all the details.

Well whether its you stating it or implying that the article stated it, the conclusion (stop if you want to keep tne card) is not entirely correct.  You can buy GCs with the card within reason just like you can with any credit card.

Message 4 of 8
Highlighted
Established Contributor

Re: For any USBank Altitude Cardholders Buying GC's

DoctorofCredit's post is a bit more grim, reporting someone getting shutdown after purchasing only three $500 cards: http://www.doctorofcredit.com/psa-dont-buy-gift-cards-us-bank-altitude-card/

 

A couple more reports of shutdowns on Flyertalk, but to be fair, if US Bank was closing the card of everyone who purchased a few visa gift cards, there would be dozens of posts rather than a few here and there.  So carry on...

Message 5 of 8
Highlighted
Moderator

Re: For any USBank Altitude Cardholders Buying GC's


@manyquestions wrote:

DoctorofCredit's post is a bit more grim, reporting someone getting shutdown after purchasing only three $500 cards: http://www.doctorofcredit.com/psa-dont-buy-gift-cards-us-bank-altitude-card/

 

A couple more reports of shutdowns on Flyertalk, but to be fair, if US Bank was closing the card of everyone who purchased a few visa gift cards, there would be dozens of posts rather than a few here and there.  So carry on...


The situation that DoC gave is a prime example of someone being stupid with buying GCs but I won't go further because it touches on MS but many card companies monitor purchases much more stringently when a new card comes out to prevent MS.  I remember the same thing happening with the Diner's Club cards when they came out.  A $1000 charge at a drugstore screams 'look at me' to the card company.  Anyways if you have the card (I don't) and want to buy a gift card, do it and be smart about it.  

Message 6 of 8
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: For any USBank Altitude Cardholders Buying GC's


@Irish80 wrote:

@manyquestions wrote:

DoctorofCredit's post is a bit more grim, reporting someone getting shutdown after purchasing only three $500 cards: http://www.doctorofcredit.com/psa-dont-buy-gift-cards-us-bank-altitude-card/

 

A couple more reports of shutdowns on Flyertalk, but to be fair, if US Bank was closing the card of everyone who purchased a few visa gift cards, there would be dozens of posts rather than a few here and there.  So carry on...


The situation that DoC gave is a prime example of someone being stupid with buying GCs but I won't go further because it touches on MS but many card companies monitor purchases much more stringently when a new card comes out to prevent MS.  I remember the same thing happening with the Diner's Club cards when they came out.  A $1000 charge at a drugstore screams 'look at me' to the card company.  Anyways if you have the card (I don't) and want to buy a gift card, do it and be smart about it.  


So don't use Altitude to get a refill on the blue pills?  Smiley Embarassed

Amex PRG (NPSL), Amex Blue Cash ($24K), Amex Simply Cash+ ($4K), Amex Business Cash ($22.5K), Discover ($22.7K), Cap 1 Union Plus MC ($2500), Chase FU Visa Sig ($12K), Chase F Visa Sig ($8.3K), Chase CSP Visa Sig($6.5K), FCB/Elan Rewards Visa Sig($10K), Buckle ($1.3K), BofA AAA Rewards ($84.5K), Paypal credit ($10K), BBVA Clearpoints ($7.5K), Cap 1 Savor ($10K), PenFed PCR ($3500), Bank of the West CB MC ($3K)
Message 7 of 8
Highlighted
Established Contributor

Re: For any USBank Altitude Cardholders Buying GC's

drugs are bad mmkayyyy?

No late payments, have over $150K credit lines from all major banks discussed here, 777 FICO scores, and inquiries dropping like flies. Doing better than most here. LOLOL Goal: 850 FICO across board. Heh. Smiley Happy
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.