cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For better scoring 2 or 1 card on my name ?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

For better scoring 2 or 1 card on my name ?

I started building my credit first time only over a month ago
And I was Sponsored by my brother for nfcu membership
Plus he added me as a AU on a navy card and capital one card 3 years age
Yesterday apped for a navy platinum card
3 hours later I get a boom email approval $9,600 SL

Data points
2 AU cards nfcu 25 k cap1 10k 3 years old
Total utilization 3% TU Fico 716 2 inquiries

Can someone advise me please
Now i need a second card on my own neme for better scoring or I am good for now ?

Planning a Amex and a second navy card in 90 days so I don’t want more inquiries now
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: For better scoring 2 or 1 card on my name ?

Optimum scoring formula is 3 cards and 1 installment loan. Anything less and you’re missing points, anything more doesn’t increase points. 

The reason for 3 credit cards is because there is a scoring penalty for 50% of cards with a balance which means you will always be getting dinged even if you keep that single card between the optimal 1%-8.9% reporting range. 

That said, there’s no big rush unless you have big app plans. Wait 6 months and get another card then get your third in another 6 months. Besides, if you build up that history with NFCU you will be primed for a massive second card at that 6 month mark which will open doors to much larger cards with other issuers going forward too. 

Message 2 of 4
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Optimum scoring formula is 3 cards and 1 installment loan. Anything less and you’re missing points, anything more doesn’t increase points. 

The reason for 3 credit cards is because there is a scoring penalty for 50% of cards with a balance which means you will always be getting dinged even if you keep that single card between the optimal 1%-8.9% reporting range. 

That said, there’s no big rush unless you have big app plans. Wait 6 months and get another card then get your third in another 6 months. Besides, if you build up that history with NFCU you will be primed for a massive second card at that 6 month mark which will open doors to much larger cards with other issuers going forward too. 

Lock the thread. This about covers it. Smiley LOL

"Show your thanks with action! Hit the "Kudos" button (the stripe with the star) for every post you find helpful to show your appreciation to the community of great individuals who help you on these forums" -Me

Active Cards: Chevron Texaco, Amex BCE, Barclays Ring, Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Best Buy Visa, Marvel MCMust garden until 2/1/2022 to hit my goal AAOA. Smiley Indifferent
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wanna apply for the navy CLOC should I wait 3 months for the new card to have some history?
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.