cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For those with SPG and Charge card, which do you use more?

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
Super Contributor

For those with SPG and Charge card, which do you use more?

I've been deciding between the SPG and Hilton card, and have been leaning towards SPG. 

Since most of my travel is SE Asia, I'll most likely have our business platinum for airport lounge access and no foreign exchange expense.  From my understanding, platinum confers gold status on all Starwood properties.

In this case, is it worth having a SPG card?  For those of you who have both the Amex charge and SPG, how do you decided which to use for everyday charges?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Senior Contributor

Re: For those with SPG and Charge card, which do you use more?

I carry SPG and PR Gold.  I obviously put Starwood purchases on the SPG.  Because PR Gold has bonus categories, I put airfare and gas/grocieries on the PR Gold.  Beyond that, I put most spend on the PR Gold.  After I hit the $30K on PR Gold to get the 15K bonus points, I put at least 10K through SPG to earn enough for a couple nights of cash and points.  If there is airline partner I want to transfer to that I can't transfer MR points to, I shift some other spend to the SPG card. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 3
Super Contributor

Re: For those with SPG and Charge card, which do you use more?

@Walt_K wrote:

After I hit the $30K on PR Gold to get the 15K bonus points, I put at least 10K through SPG to earn enough for a couple nights of cash and points.  If there is airline partner I want to transfer to that I can't transfer MR points to, I shift some other spend to the SPG card. 

This makes perfect sense, especially with the 3X airfare on the PR Gold.

I might just go this route, and forget the airport lounge access and pay the forex fees.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.