Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For those with multiple Amex cards

tag
dynamicvb
Valued Contributor

For those with multiple Amex cards

For those who have more than one Amex. If you remember when you got your second card did they do a hard pull or will they soft pull on additional cards like they do for CLIs?

And are you eligible for subs on additional ones if you have already gotten the sub on your other card? I remember reading somewhere that you can only ever get one sub in your lifetime at Amex but not sure

Started Rebuild 4/2018: EX 616| TU 604| EQ 621

Current 5/28/20:

First Goal Score: 750+ Reached 3/2019

Next Goal all over 800
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: For those with multiple Amex cards

Yes it was a soft pull for me (some have reported a HP but the norm is soft) and you get the SUB. The once per life time is per card "type". So you can't get the platinum SUB, cancel it and then reapply in the future and get it again but you could get it for Green, Gold and Plat.

Message 2 of 14
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

My 1st, 4th, and 8th AMEX each generated a HP.  All others and all CLI requests were soft pulls.

You're generally eligible for the SUB on every new AMEX card you open unless you've opened a lot of cards with them recently.  i

If they determine that you will be ineligible to earn the SUB when applying online you will be informed before they process the application and you will the option to either proceed or abort the submission.  If you abort there is no chance of incurring a HP.

Lifetime language is per-card and not per account.   Lifetime isn't always exactly "lifetime" either but it's at least 7 years.

Product changes do not earn you a SUB unless you were made an offer to upgrade that included a SUB as an incentive.

There are also occasional offerings that do not include lifetime language which bypass the "lifetime" requirement although I haven't heard of them offering one in a while.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Only my first card was HP. The following 7 cards and CLIs are all SP.Smiley Very Happy

Message 4 of 14
wasCB14
Super Contributor

2014-2017: 5 personal cards, all HP

2018: 1 business card, HP

2019: 1 personal card, no HP

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got my first amex in college and my second  and third 20 years later.   Both were soft pulls.

Message 6 of 14
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@coldfusion wrote:

You're generally eligible for the SUB on every new AMEX card you open unless you've opened a lot of cards with them recently.  i

If they determine that you will be ineligible to earn the SUB when applying online you will be informed before they process the application and you will the option to either proceed or abort the submission.  If you abort there is no chance of incurring a HP.

Or, rather, the number of cards you've opened relative to overall Amex spend. $5k annual spend might potentially not get a bonus on a 4th card in 2 years, but $200k annual spend could get a bonus on an 8th card in that same time frame.

Not that these are exact figures, just a general example. Highly YMMV.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

All three Amex cards I've had were hard pulls, but those apps were in 2016 and 2017. I think that was before the trend of soft pulls for some folks on their second, third, etc. card. Then again, as many may note, not everyone gets lucky with a soft pull approval.

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Single HP to approve my first two an hour apart in 11/2018. SP for number three in 3/2019. SP for numbers four and five, four days apart, in 5/2019. I earned SUBs for all five cards.

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

First card was a HP 6/2019, applied for BCP 8/2019 and was declined with a SP, applied a month later and was approved with a SP. 

I got SUBs for both cards. 

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.