Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For those with "stuck" Capital One accounts

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: For those with "stuck" Capital One accounts

Lol I just got approved for a Capital One Secured. I also have a 360 Savings but I quit using it years ago. I've had a $1 sitting there for a couple years now.

Threads like this are discouraging me. I think I'm having application remorse but maybe if I tried another bank I wouldn't have gotten approved at all.

Message 31 of 55
blossom_rebuilding
Regular Contributor

My Capital One Platinum started its life as an Orchard Bank mastercard with a $300 credit limit back around 2010, Cap 1 definitely stuck me in the sub-prime bucket. Since Capital One took over the account it has grown sloooowly but somewhat steadily. It was certainly good for me in it's time, but I'm a bit sick of the inheirited  $59 annual fee and of the low limit that isn't reflective of my current profile. I only just recently PC'd to QS1, and am hopeful of PCing to a regular QS in a couple months to lose the annual fee, but even so, Cap One's days are numbered.  I recently got in with Discover and PNC, which are much more reflective of my current profile, and will grow much faster than the QS1. I'm in the garden not making any sudden credit moves until I apply for a mortgage later this year, but once I've reached that goal, I'll be done with the rebuild, and then done with this card.

Message 32 of 55
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Last year I made a post describing several Capital One cards I have had since 2002. The cards have gone through periods of high use/ no use/ carried a balance and have been balance free. Basically, every sort of use had been tried on these cards at one time or another.

One card was a Capital One Platinum from the start and had a $600 credit line. The other 2 were originally Household bank cards and were in the $1500 credit line range. I have repeatedly tried for credit line increases and only met with slight success in the last 2 attempts. Bringing all 3 up to the $2000 range. I have also tried to product change all 3 to a Quicksilver or anything else monthly with no success.

All of this with my Ficos reaching the 760 range.

I finally decided to take the advice given to me in the previously mentioned thread and to app for a new Venture. My app went to 7-10-day notice and I was skeptical but several days later I was approved for a $30,000 starting line. I even received the new metal card. Wohoo.

I’ll give the old cards one more CLI request in a few months then I’ll have to decide how I will combine them or if I’ll keep one for its age. I’ll keep the Venture after the sign up bonus if I can get the fee waved and product change to a Quicksilver if not. I really wanted a good Cap 1 card since I have a 360 bank account and Cap 1 Investing account. It’s nice to have all together.

So for any others out there banging there head into the wall trying to get these old cards some love, I really recommend moving on. For whatever reason Capital One seems to have anchored at least some of these old cards to where they will never grow or grow so slowly that they aren’t worth it.

Agree.  Could not get my original cap quicksilver one to go for 5k.  Was instantly approved last month for 10k regular quicksilver with bonus.  Will just combine into the new quicksilver WEMC after six months.  Will be fine with 14k+ limit.  Did this after they rejected a cli request on the older card.

Signature needs updating
Message 33 of 55
Mahraja
Valued Contributor

i changed my views about capital one months ago it is the best credit card provider in USA no matter what your utilization ratio is they will not do the CLD Barclay's chase citi and bank of America they are not friendly at all in that matter and its fact not an opinion guys.. so keep your capital one accounts open today tomorrow and always Smiley Tongue

Profile Worth 2.0+M+
___________R.a.j
"Be Stronger Than Your Strongest Excuse"
Message 34 of 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for this thread. My card isn't that old. June 2015. It's a QS1 at $2500. It will not move. Hasn't moved since June 2016. SL $500.

BoA, Discover and now AmEx showed me love. All around $6000. They are much younger.

Again, thank you. I will watch to see how this card develops into 2018.
Message 35 of 55
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Thank you so much for this post! I have mentioned my CapOne story before and I have a thread going about clearing out my sock drawer, and my gut was to apply for a new card and move on.  Since I know Venture tends to be the highest SL and I have a Venture One already, I cold apped yesterday and got the 7-10 day message.  Not many threads about the Venture with 7-10 day notice, but many about V1, QS and QS1.

I have been a CapOne customer since 2000.  Originally had a $500 card when I had almost zero credit and then approved in 2001 for a $1500 card.  They bought out 2 other lenders whose names I cannot remember in 2002, and I was able to merge those 2 $500 cards into the $1500 which was a Visa, but they could not merge the $500 CapOne since it was a MC.  These two remaining cards never received a single CLI other than the combining the entire 16 years they were open!  At some point in the mid-2000s, they also bought out my $875 Orchard Bank card and my Direct Merchants Bank card which was $5300.  Early last year I began to get serious about my credit and to replace/PC cards and start asking for CLIs and APR reductions.  I merged the 4 CapOne cards into the $5300 one since it had no AF even though the card was a few years newer (2004) and had a marginally higher 25.24% APR, then did a PC on the now-$9175 Platinum card to Venture One WMC.  Turned down for CLI since they considered the consolidation to be a CLI.  Used it heavily for a few months before the 6 month mark and still nothing every single month since.  APR reductions? No.  Balance transfer offers?  Sure, no fee and just pay your same 25.49% purchase APR haha.

I have clean reports, high income and many 5-figure cards.  Very frustrating when I see others with BK or other serious baddies getting low APRs and CLI after CLI with CapOne.  It always seemed like they just had me in the "limited credit experience" bucket, and 17 years later I am still there regardless.  So, I was on the fence about either keeping it in the sock drawer until they eventually close it and be done with CapOne, or to just apply for a real CapOne card, move my $9175 over to it and be done with the lingering subprime stigma of my existing cards.  Yesterday I made my choice but was disheartened to get a 7-10 day message.  Thanks to your post and the few others that have mentioned the Venture, I have hope that I'll get a low-tier APR with a SL of $20-30k and I can move on.  Still "reviewing" when I call the automated number.

Keep us posted!  I'm on the fence about apping for Venture

Got the email today after 5 days.  Denied.  Specific reason was "Revolving balances too high in relation to credit score."  They pointed out my 731 EX, which is showing 27% util.  Yeah, I'm done with CapOne.  Will sock drawer the card permanently and either let them close it for non-use or I will close it when I get under 10% util.  Honestly I'm happier with a denial than had I been approved with a 5-10k SL and high APR.

Message 36 of 55
taekwon
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Last year I made a post describing several Capital One cards I have had since 2002. The cards have gone through periods of high use/ no use/ carried a balance and have been balance free. Basically, every sort of use had been tried on these cards at one time or another.

One card was a Capital One Platinum from the start and had a $600 credit line. The other 2 were originally Household bank cards and were in the $1500 credit line range. I have repeatedly tried for credit line increases and only met with slight success in the last 2 attempts. Bringing all 3 up to the $2000 range. I have also tried to product change all 3 to a Quicksilver or anything else monthly with no success.

I finally decided to take the advice given to me in the previously mentioned thread and to app for a new Venture. My app went to 7-10-day notice and I was skeptical but several days later I was approved for a $30,000 starting line. I even received the new metal card. Wohoo.

I’ll give the old cards one more CLI request in a few months then I’ll have to decide how I will combine them or if I’ll keep one for its age. I’ll keep the Venture after the sign up bonus if I can get the fee waved and product change to a Quicksilver if not. I really wanted a good Cap 1 card since I have a 360 bank account and Cap 1 Investing account. It’s nice to have all together.

So for any others out there banging there head into the wall trying to get these old cards some love, I really recommend moving on. For whatever reason Capital One seems to have anchored at least some of these old cards to where they will never grow or grow so slowly that they aren’t worth it.

I too have a Capital One Venture card with a $30K limit. I app for it July 2016 and was instantly approved with the $30K limit. At the time, I only had two starter cards, one capital One that use to be a secured card and an Applied Bank secured card. I have since dropped the Applied card. (1) You stated you have a metal Venture card. I did not think capital one issues metal cards. Can you provide more info on this? If Capital One is producing metal cards I'd like to get one for my Venture. (2) I would like to app for a Capital One WEMC but I don't see an app on their site. Any ideal where I can app for a Capital One WEMC? I am a traveler and could really us the benefits.

Thanks in advance,

-Peace

Starting Scores: EQ 598, EX 566, TU 550, 3/31/13 ....... Goal Score: 830
Current Scores: EQ 845, EX 841, TU 836 ..................... Inq: EQ: 0, EX: 1, TU: 1

Message 37 of 55
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

Still here at $551 CL on my Platinum Secured of almost 6 years. I won't apply for a Capital One and I won't move on and I would love to close it but I know I won't because it's my oldest card. I will keep paying my AF and I will keep sending them chat messages asking strongly to be PC'd and I will continue calling every few months because I know there is something that can be done but they refuse to help me. A mod mentioned earlier in this thread that the EO office would be able to help. They weren't able to years ago and they're even less usable now. The EO now takes you to the same CSR's in India...it didn't used to be this way but it is now. Tried emailing the EO? It now bounces back....that email address for Richard no longer exists. 

All in all, I refuse to take acquire any new credit lines from a creditor who refuses to extend more credit to someone with scores between 760-780 across the board. Someone who has paid an AF yearly to no benefit. Someone who hasn't seen an increase since the very first year. Someone who's $200 deposit they refuse to give me back. They could do any of these things...or offer me a lower APR. But no...they simply tell me it's all done automatically by "the system and there's nothing they can do to help me. And I will keep posting my sob story here on every thread about Capital One and their secured card practices because I don't think they deserve everyone's business. And if I stop 1 person from applying for their secured card every 10 posts I make about them I am happier for it. Capital One stinks...your loyalty to them should net you more benefits...and not just if you have one of their prime cards. That's just how I feel anyways.

"Show your thanks with action! Hit the "Kudos" button (the stripe with the star) for every post you find helpful to show your appreciation to the community of great individuals who help you on these forums" -Me

Active Cards: Chevron Texaco, Amex BCE, Barclays Ring, Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Best Buy Visa, Marvel MCMust garden until 2/1/2022 to hit my goal AAOA. Smiley Indifferent
Message 38 of 55
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

@taekwon wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I too have a Capital One Venture card with a $30K limit. I app for it July 2016 and was instantly approved with the $30K limit. At the time, I only had two starter cards, one capital One that use to be a secured card and an Applied Bank secured card. I have since dropped the Applied card. (1) You stated you have a metal Venture card. I did not think capital one issues metal cards. Can you provide more info on this? If Capital One is producing metal cards I'd like to get one for my Venture. (2) I would like to app for a Capital One WEMC but I don't see an app on their site. Any ideal where I can app for a Capital One WEMC? I am a traveler and could really us the benefits.

Thanks in advance,

-Peace

I think the metal card is only for new accounts, at least that's the impression I get from varous articles on the web.

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 39 of 55
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

@SecretAzure wrote:

Still here at $551 CL on my Platinum Secured of almost 6 years. I won't apply for a Capital One and I won't move on and I would love to close it but I know I won't because it's my oldest card. I will keep paying my AF and I will keep sending them chat messages asking strongly to be PC'd and I will continue calling every few months because I know there is something that can be done but they refuse to help me. A mod mentioned earlier in this thread that the EO office would be able to help. They weren't able to years ago and they're even less usable now. The EO now takes you to the same CSR's in India...it didn't used to be this way but it is now. Tried emailing the EO? It now bounces back....that email address for Richard no longer exists. 

I totally understand where you're coming from... But closing the card won't hurt your AAoA for another 10 years, and by then, presumably it'll be a minimum impact because all your other cards will be 10 years older, too.  I'd just hate to keep paying an AF for a no-frills secured card.  The money you save in fees and that $200 deposit you'd get back is SO much more useful to you than the 1% change in your AAoA that you'd see in 10 years.

Who knows... if you call to cancel, maybe you'll get a retention offer to unsecure and PC to something else.

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 40 of 55
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.