cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For those with the Marriott Rewards visa...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

For those with the Marriott Rewards visa...

I have read in many places that the free night they give as a sign up bonus is rather worthless because you can't use it in most if the good Marriotts. Has that been true in your experiences?

Message 1 of 51
50 REPLIES 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: For those with the Marriott Rewards visa...

I'd really love to know how the benefits compare to the IHG card as well. C'mon folks jump in here for me! Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 51
msbia
Established Contributor

Edit. Never mind.

Personal Credit? Check. Business Credit? Check.
Mission Accomplished.
Thanks MyFico!
Message 3 of 51
Sharingan
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have read in many places that the free night they give as a sign up bonus is rather worthless because you can't use it in most if the good Marriotts. Has that been true in your experiences?

The sign up bonus is the tier 1-4 free night certificate along with 50-70K points usually. I had trouble using it, and even had to call to have  it extended when I unfortunately let it expire in January. I had to settle for a tier 3 hotel about 30 miles from my destination in order to finally use it. It was a Courtyard Marriott, but it wasn't too bad. It obviously wasn't a Ritz Carlton; however, it was extremely clean and decked out with granite counters and nice amenities. I would certainly go back there again if I'm in the area. The free annual certificate permits up to tier 5, which is pretty decent. 

I don't plan on keeping my Marriott card past my first year because the Hyatt card is a much better value in my opinion. The sign up bonus last summer for the Marriott was too good to pass up though. IHG is next on my list of cards to acquire. I don't think it will replace my Hyatt card as my go-to hotel card, however I'm still interested. 

Message 4 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Sharingan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The sign up bonus is the tier 1-4 free night certificate along with 50-70K points usually. I had trouble using it, and even had to call to have  it extended when I unfortunately let it expire in January. I had to settle for a tier 3 hotel about 30 miles from my destination in order to finally use it. It was a Courtyard Marriott, but it wasn't too bad. It obviously wasn't a Ritz Carlton; however, it was extremely clean and decked out with granite counters and nice amenities. I would certainly go back there again if I'm in the area. The free annual certificate permits up to tier 5, which is pretty decent. 

I don't plan on keeping my Marriott card past my first year because the Hyatt card is a much better value in my opinion. The sign up bonus last summer for the Marriott was too good to pass up though. IHG is next on my list of cards to acquire. I don't think it will replace my Hyatt card as my go-to hotel card, however I'm still interested. 

Thanks for offering your thoughts! Can you tell me more about the Hyatt card? Why do you feel like its a better value?

Message 5 of 51
Sharingan
Established Contributor

Sure! First, the Hyatt card comes with a very hefty sign up bonus if you know how to use it. 2 nights at the Park Hyatts in the Maldives, Paris, Tokyo, and other similar properties can easily exceed $1500-2000 USD. Also, the card comes with a free annual night (Category 1-4) as well and has a reasonable $75 AF.

Lastly, Hyatt points are typically around 1.8+ cents per point compared to the Marriott's paltry 0.4-1.0 (if you are lucky) cents per point value. If I ever need to transfer UR points for hotels, the Hyatt is a significantly better route to take, thus adding additional value and flexibility to my CSP. 

It's a personal and preferential decision... Really though, it's hard to go wrong with the Marriott/IHG/Hyatt cards because the annual free night is usually able to easily compensate for the AF. 

Message 6 of 51
Callandra
Valued Contributor

@Sharingan wrote:

Sure! First, the Hyatt card comes with a very hefty sign up bonus if you know how to use it. 2 nights at the Park Hyatts in the Maldives, Paris, Tokyo, and other similar properties can easily exceed $1500-2000 USD. Also, the card comes with a free annual night (Category 1-4) as well and has a reasonable $75 AF.

Lastly, Hyatt points are typically around 1.8+ cents per point compared to the Marriott's paltry 0.4-1.0 (if you are lucky) cents per point value. If I ever need to transfer UR points for hotels, the Hyatt is a significantly better route to take, thus adding additional value and flexibility to my CSP. 

It's a personal and preferential decision... Really though, it's hard to go wrong with the Marriott/IHG/Hyatt cards because the annual free night is usually able to easily compensate for the AF. 

+1 This. My parents have the Marriott Visa (they've had it since the 90s) and my Dad offered to let me and my fiance use some points and the redemptions were kind of awful. My mom said years ago the points were worth a lot more. Still, if the free night makes it worth it to you with the AF, probably still a good card to get.

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 7 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok very insightful. Really appreciate your feedback. I just got a Freedom and SWA last month so I am just information gathering right now. But I'd like to try for one of the hotel cards eventually once my scores are a bit higher and I can show Chase a few months of good history. I'm trying to strategize to get a free or nearly free honeymoon with airline/UR/hotel points! :-)

Message 8 of 51
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

@Sharingan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Oh shoot!!! I let mine expire too. Who did you call to get it extended?

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 9 of 51
Sharingan
Established Contributor

I called the Marriott customer service number on the back of my card (not the Chase number) and they were able to extend it another 6 months or so. They are very friendly and effective anytime I have to call for anything. 

Message 10 of 51
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.