Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Foreign banks in the US

tag
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Foreign banks in the US

It looks like RBC offers cross-border accounts, and while it appears that they offer Canadian residents US checking and credit cards, they don't appear to offer the reverse.  Fortunately with so many no-FTF cards, it wouldn't make sense even as often as I get up there.

Message 11 of 37
issac2x
Frequent Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@issac2x wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
HSBC, Barclays along with the Royal Bank of Scotland allow US citizens to hold their products. No problems.

Didn't know Royal Bank of Scotland allows us to have their products thanks Dinosaur.

"In August 2015 The Royal Bank of Scotland Plc, ceased its activity in USA."

Must be a UK resident for all cards, and a mainland UK resident for some of them.  Smiley Sad

Darn was interested to see their cards too. Thanks for the heads up K-in-Boston.

Message 12 of 37
issac2x
Frequent Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

It looks like RBC offers cross-border accounts, and while it appears that they offer Canadian residents US checking and credit cards, they don't appear to offer the reverse.  Fortunately with so many no-FTF cards, it wouldn't make sense even as often as I get up there.

Just googled them shame their cards look nice.

Message 13 of 37
kilroy8
Community Leader
Super Contributor

I would be afraid to do business with foreign banks. There are so many forms that you run across that ask about foreign interests, bank accounts, etc. I would be afraid to pop up on big brother's radar.

Message 14 of 37
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@kilroy8 wrote:

I would be afraid to do business with foreign banks. There are so many forms that you run across that ask about foreign interests, bank accounts, etc. I would be afraid to pop up on big brother's radar.

Credit cards shouldn't be an issue.   And, if you deal with the US-based part, neither are bank accounts, e.g. Barclays High Yield Savings reports interest on a 1099 just like any other us bank.   The complication arises if you have money in a foreign bank abroad.  I have some money in a Bank of Scotland account in the UK and if the value is greater than $10K I have to report that I have it, and any interest earned is also reportable.

But for just applying for a credit card, no issue.

Message 15 of 37
issac2x
Frequent Contributor

@kilroy8 wrote:

Edit: Should have refreshed before I posted but yeah longtimelurker said it better then me.

Message 16 of 37
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@issac2x wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Yeah, my vanity and ego want the RBC Avion Visa Infinite Privilege.  A $399 AF card that apparently doesn't come with any of the reimbursements that would usually come with an AF like that.  But it looks like it earns 1.25 RBC points that are worth 2 to 2.33 cpp on travel booked through their portal, so it's essentially a 2.5 - 2.92% back on travel card which could be pretty lucrative.

Also, here's something you'd never see on a US bank's credit card application page:

Please note, this premium card can impose higher acceptance costs on merchants.

Message 17 of 37
issac2x
Frequent Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@issac2x wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Yeah, my vanity and ego want the RBC Avion Visa Infinite Privilege.  A $399 AF card that apparently doesn't come with any of the reimbursements that would usually come with an AF like that.  But it looks like it earns 1.25 RBC points that are worth 2 to 2.33 cpp on travel booked through their portal, so it's essentially a 2.5 - 2.92% back on travel card which could be pretty lucrative.

Also, here's something you'd never see on a US bank's credit card application page:

Hefty AF for an almost 3% but if you travel alot it I guess it could be worth it. Also I'm not familiar with the Infinite Privilege and if it has more benefits then the regular Infinite but it should factor into the favorability of the card as well.

Wow they actually noted that merchants could get charged higher fees. As you stated US banks would never do that and if they did it'd be buried in the card holder benefits pamphlet or something similar.

Message 18 of 37
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@issac2x wrote:

@K-in-BostonAlso I'm not familiar with the Infinite Privilege and if it has more benefits then the regular Infinite but it should factor into the favorability of the card as well.

The only direct difference I'm aware of is that the Infinite Privilege has a much higher minimum income requirement than the Infinite, not of any significant difference in benefits.   I don't know if that also translates to a higher minimum SL and/or higher maximum CL as well. 

To put it another way, without concrete evidence to the contrary I'm sure the term exists as much for ego stroking of the cardholder as much if not more than to define a significant difference in benefits.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 19 of 37
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@issac2x wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@issac2x wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Hefty AF for an almost 3% but if you travel alot it I guess it could be worth it. Also I'm not familiar with the Infinite Privilege and if it has more benefits then the regular Infinite but it should factor into the favorability of the card as well.

Wow they actually noted that merchants could get charged higher fees. As you stated US banks would never do that and if they did it'd be buried in the card holder benefits pamphlet or something similar.

Wow... that's not much of a card for the AF.  I have three no-AF cards that give me 3% back on travel so that's not too impressive. 

I wonder what other 'perks' it has... I know there must be something

Message 20 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.