Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Foreign transaction fee

tag
GQ-007
Valued Member

Foreign transaction fee

I plan a visit to Beijing in the fall. I have several cc that don't require the payment of a foreign transaction fee. However, I'm curious if I prepay my Marriott hotel expense, will I avoid the fee? My reason for asking is because my Cili select has a 18 month no interest introductory period. And I would like to take advantage of that offer. However, it doesn't have a feature in which you can avoid the foreign transaction fee. Therefore, I can't use it in country unless I'm willing to incur that expense. But I can use it to prepay the hotel cost. My concern is getting hit later on because the goods and services were rendered in China
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
chan85
Established Contributor

Re: Foreign transaction fee

If it passes through a foreign bank at all, you will likely get the fee, even if you pay online or over the phone.

Current Debt Management:
$15k Trinity Financial Management (scheduled pay off late 2021)
$10k NFCU
$350/mth Bridgecrest Auto Loan
Goals: Pay off credit card debt & buy a new home before end of 2020

Long Term Debt:
Fed Loans - $150k
Navient - $100k

Taking a "if God don't do it, it won't get done..." approach to paying these off.
Message 2 of 5
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

If you credit card is handled by a foreign bank, regardless if currencies changed at all, it'll be counted as foreign transaction.

Message 3 of 5
clocktick
Valued Contributor

GQ-007 wrote:
 I have several cc that don't require the payment of a foreign transaction fee.

What cards are these?

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

all cap1 and Amex platinum have no foreign transaction fees. Some visa cards are only 1% like usaa. Can't speak for forex rates though... Ymmv. I've only heard that Amex tends to be mid rate. But I'd be more concerned with value of the dollar than the forex rate they chooseSmiley Wink
I used to trade a little in forex, it fluctuates frequently thoughout the day quite a bit sometimes.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.