Did you mean: 

Forum Etiquette

tag
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

Re: Friendly, Supportive, and Respectful -- 2/6/14

@notfancy wrote:

@Longroad wrote:

I want to apologize if some of this was my fault. I have been extremely disrespectful of the CRAs and have let the frustration spill out. I apologize for this and will strive to keep posts and comments positive. Please accept my sincerest apologies. 

I haven't read your posts, but I am guessing that this was not Rev's intent. Venting is perfectly understandable. Just read some posts about Midland Credit Management lol.. I think he meant more comments and posts directed at other forum members that come here asking for help and advice and getting (to paraphrase) comments such as "well if you didn't do X you wouldn't be in this situation!" Sometimes the comments are... accurate in their way, but snide and unhelpful in tone. I think it's hard enough to come asking for help and advice about something as personal and stressful as credit and finances with out also having to get comments posted to your threads that suggest that you are some kind of "loser" or "idiot" (not that I saw those exact kinds of words but it was certainly implied in the tone of the comments.

+1

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 10 of 43
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@notfancy wrote:

@Longroad wrote:

I want to apologize if some of this was my fault. I have been extremely disrespectful of the CRAs and have let the frustration spill out. I apologize for this and will strive to keep posts and comments positive. Please accept my sincerest apologies. 

I haven't read your posts, but I am guessing that this was not Rev's intent. Venting is perfectly understandable. Just read some posts about Midland Credit Management lol.. I think he meant more comments and posts directed at other forum members that come here asking for help and advice and getting (to paraphrase) comments such as "well if you didn't do X you wouldn't be in this situation!" Sometimes the comments are... accurate in their way, but snide and unhelpful in tone. I think it's hard enough to come asking for help and advice about something as personal and stressful as credit and finances with out also having to get comments posted to your threads that suggest that you are some kind of "loser" or "idiot" (not that I saw those exact kinds of words but it was certainly implied in the tone of the comments.

This is absolutely our intent.  

It takes non-trivial personal courage, even when isolated by the Internet to admit one's "failings" in a public forum.  The vast majority of members find this site or others after something goes wrong in their financial life, and the last thing we want is for someone to be welcomed with an open-handed slap instead of a friendly smile of understanding.

Anyone who spends more time here than simply getting the information they need and moving on, is effectively performing a volunteer education function for the other users on the forum (though I admit even after 2 years, at least a year of which was hardcore reading and studying everything I could find on these forums I still learn new things): if it's not fun or enjoyable (for whatever reason) people simply won't do it, and as such we want to keep it friendly, supportive, and respectful, otherwise we likely won't have much of a community when looked at objectively.

As another poster intimated there are other online resources which have different standards and that's OK: none of the forums dedicated to credit education is going to to appeal to everyone and there's room for all of them in this particular space in my opinion, I even personally have a registered account on a few of them and I do occasionally read them in addition to this site; however, we (myFICO) have simply found this to be the optimal method and the site goals reflect that.   As such we're going to keep as close as possible to our ideals.

--Rev

        
Message 11 of 43
sdwalt
Regular Contributor

This is the BEST forum for credit issues by far, I appreciate the friendly people here and the mods that keep it all running.

Message 12 of 43
John060675
Valued Contributor

Thank you for posting what needed to be said. I made a similar post a few weeks ago. This forum is for support and advice, not to point out flaws in decision making or other negative things.

Hopefully these people will be weeded out as best as possible and we all will continue our quest for the mythical 850 score together.

Starting Score: 583 EQ, 612 EX, 569 TU
Current Score: 658 EQ, 648 EX, 618 TU
Goal Score: 720 EQ, 720 EX, 720 TU

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 13 of 43
skigirl916
Established Contributor

Moderators: I'm not sure where to put this, but is there a way to handle harassing, insulting PMs sent by disgruntled posters?

Message 15 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

@skigirl916 wrote:

Moderators: I'm not sure where to put this, but is there a way to handle harassing, insulting PMs sent by disgruntled posters?

You can click on the individuals name and hit ignore. But I believe that only prevents them from sending you PM's and you would still see any posts or thread msgs from them

Message 16 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm sure that they will follow up on that.  Sorry to hear that it's happening to you.  No excuse.

Message 17 of 43
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Thats no bueno. Try sending lexie or rev or kenny a PM about it. 

I wonder who it is xD (i'm nosey) 

Message 18 of 43
happypill
Valued Contributor

Re: Friendly, Supportive, and Respectful

The subject matter can be scary for newer members and the supportive community is definitely a great asset.

Message 19 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Friendly, Supportive, and Respectful

I guess people forget we all have faults and need help.  This is a great forum...

Message 20 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.