cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Found another use for Care Credit....

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Found another use for Care Credit....

I had a care credit acct with a $1000 limit. Used it for 10 months straight for monthly prenatal care until my daughter was born. When she was born, I paid it off a few months later and they closed it. Prior to that I was making min payments for like 4 months and then paid the entire thing off.
Message 11 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

I orignally got my Care Credit to pay for PRK surgery (similar to LASIK), they offered 2 years 0% on the bill and I needed perfect eye sight for a job I was applying for out of college. It worked great! After that I figured I'd keep it around just in case. Now it is primarly my card for any major vet bills, put $1800@0% for a year this year from an unexpected vet visit! Always good to keep around.

Message 12 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Pizza1, I got care credit primarily for dental work and I will research  more options now.  Thanks for sharing.

Message 13 of 33
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I had a care credit acct with a $1000 limit. Used it for 10 months straight for monthly prenatal care until my daughter was born. When she was born, I paid it off a few months later and they closed it. Prior to that I was making min payments for like 4 months and then paid the entire thing off.

That right there is what concerns me about this card as well as non use.

Thanks for sharing your own experience on that with the forum community.

Message 14 of 33
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

mmm, I find that odd. Synch is one of the last CCC that will close so soon like that. Especially after a pay off? Ive had my card a little over a yr now, and have only used it one time for $10.82.  I bought some eye glass cleaner on the eye store. I got the card 10/10/14, and the first time I ever used it was 9 months later in July of 2015! That was my only time ever using the card.  Something else must have happened too. I will using my card again next week. Sorry that happened to you.

Message 15 of 33
Countingpennies
Established Contributor

I use it for unexpected, emergency vet bills. 0% over 6 months is nice if I don't have the cash to PIF.

Don't automatically expect to be able to spread payments over your choice of 6-12-18-24 mos. Always check with the provider about the deferred interest plans available on a particular service. My vet, for example, is only 6 mos. over $200. 

Message 16 of 33
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Countingpennies wrote:

I use it for unexpected, emergency vet bills. 0% over 6 months is nice if I don't have the cash to PIF.

Don't automatically expect to be able to spread payments over your choice of 6-12-18-24 mos. Always check with the provider about the deferred interest plans available on a particular service. My vet, for example, is only 6 mos. over $200. 

+1

My understanding is that the amount must be over $200 to be eligible for deferred interest, and the actual offering (6 months versus 12, 18, or 24) is actually up to the provider, at least to an extent. My own dentist indicated to me that when somebody takes a 0% offer it does 'impact' him, although he doesn't mind since it allows folks to get extra services they might not otherwise be able to afford.

I was rather shocked (pleasantly) that I had so many options for a purchase of only $670... but from what I've read on here (and on the Care Credit web site) the offers certainly do vary from place to place. To be safe always ask, since YMMV is very much the case.  

grandpa.gif

Message 17 of 33
Countingpennies
Established Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@Countingpennies wrote:

+1

My understanding is that the amount must be over $200 to be eligible for deferred interest, and the actual offering (6 months versus 12, 18, or 24) is actually up to the provider, at least to an extent. My own dentist indicated to me that when somebody takes a 0% offer it does 'impact' him, although he doesn't mind since it allows folks to get extra services they might not otherwise be able to afford.

I was rather shocked (pleasantly) that I had so many options for a purchase of only $670... but from what I've read on here (and on the Care Credit web site) the offers certainly do vary from place to place. To be safe always ask, since YMMV is very much the case.  

grandpa.gif

+1

This should be considered as a "financing" card, not your typical charge card. If you have two different services on your card, for example, you will be paying on 2 different plans every month. My $900 vet bill will be about $150/mo. I had a follow up for $86. So to avoid interest, my next payment will be $150 plus $86. You can't just accumulate charges.

I should have put the $86 on another card, but I was so happy my furbaby was OK, I wasn't thinking.

Message 18 of 33
kuku4koco
Frequent Contributor

Was your follow up within the same month?  That happened to me, but my amount was over $200.. so maybe that's the difference.. I was able to finance it, over the same 6mo period as the first emergency... (within the same month).

(Edit:  Also to say, as UncleB mentioned above... The original emergency was to a vet hospital, that asked me how many months I'd prefer (6, 12, 18 or 24)...  the second incident, also at a vet hospital did NOT ask... I was only given the 6 month option.  (considerably less amount, but still over $200).

***Thanks pizza1... I hope there's a medical spa near me!! I can already feel the massages and the needles for the botox!! Hahahaha Smiley Very Happy

EQ: 731 TU: 705 EX: 715

Cap1 QS: 9k USBank: 7k Amex BCE: 14.1k BoA: 8k Discover: 4.4k CareCredit: 12k *Various Store Cards: 18.7k
Message 19 of 33
Anomalous
Senior Contributor

Thanks for the tip! This one is on my 2016 list.

Keep both your credit and your body in top shape!

Message 20 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.