Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraud Alert Shopping Trick Question

tag
QAMngrGirl
Frequent Contributor

Fraud Alert Shopping Trick Question

Anyone happen to know if the fraud alert on my CR will prevent the Shopping cart trick from happening? I think it will but I am curious if anyone with experience has an answer?

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

Re: Fraud Alert Shopping Trick Question

Computer generated inquires/analysis are usually 99.9% rejected automatically after softing.
Message 2 of 14
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

@Burned2manybridgesB4 wrote:
Computer generated inquires/analysis are usually 99.9% rejected automatically after softing.

What does that even mean?

Could you explain with different wording please?

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 3 of 14
QAMngrGirl
Frequent Contributor

@SnackTrader wrote:

@Burned2manybridgesB4 wrote:

What does that even mean?

Could you explain with different wording please?

yes, this please

Message 4 of 14
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

I think the short answer is basically no...ha.

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 5 of 14
ajh5408
Contributor

No, it shouldn't -- Unlike a freeze, a fraud alert doesn't prevent creditors from performing hard or soft pulls.

It is highly unlikely that a soft pull on your credit report which would otherwise result in a preapproval offer would be automatically filtered due to the alert. At best, they would contact you to verify your request for a card after the application was already submitted.

Message 6 of 14
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

@QAMngrGirl wrote:

Anyone happen to know if the fraud alert on my CR will prevent the Shopping cart trick from happening? I think it will but I am curious if anyone with experience has an answer?

I think the shopping cart trick works if you already have another account with them!  They match your name and address with what they already have on file. 

You mean the aspect of going to Gap online and buying something and being offered a Gap card, right?  (If not Gap, fill in name of other store.)  From what I have read it is usually posted by people who already have accounts with the same company.  (I don't remember if it is GE or Comenity, but I do remember that all posts that I have read about it were from customers of the bank already.)

I here it works for Comenity if you enroll in the MyPoints program and you already have a credit card with them.  It hasn't happened with me yet, but I just signed up for MyPoints with them.  I did read for that, that it takes some time.  It might actually take making a purchase through the site, which I have yet to do.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 7 of 14
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@bernhardtra wrote:

@QAMngrGirl wrote:

I think the shopping cart trick works if you already have another account with them!  They match your name and address with what they already have on file. 

You mean the aspect of going to Gap online and buying something and being offered a Gap card, right?  (If not Gap, fill in name of other store.)  From what I have read it is usually posted by people who already have accounts with the same company.  (I don't remember if it is GE or Comenity, but I do remember that all posts that I have read about it were from customers of the bank already.)

I here it works for Comenity if you enroll in the MyPoints program and you already have a credit card with them.  It hasn't happened with me yet, but I just signed up for MyPoints with them.  I did read for that, that it takes some time.  It might actually take making a purchase through the site, which I have yet to do.

I just did it with VS I have no accounts with Comenity or WFNB.  I tried with some of the other stores (Abercrombie and Express) the same night and no joy. So, I have no idea how it works. Maybe that's why it's called a trick! Smiley Very Happy

Message 8 of 14
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

Hmm, that's interesting.  Well I guess they have another way of doing it.  I just always assumed if you weren't a customer then you would simply have to apply normally.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 9 of 14
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

@bernhardtra wrote:

@QAMngrGirl wrote:

I don't know...I got my Express pre-approval when having no other accounts with WFNNB...You DO have to create an "account" with the merchant, where it matches up your info. You'd definitely have to do that first.

It does seem like once you have an account with WFNNB, they will pre-approve you all over the place. That happened with me...I picked up $2K worth of credit with them in less than a month.

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.