Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraud alert, charge declined - PITA!!!

tag
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Fraud alert, charge declined - PITA!!!

@UncleB wrote:

My favorite fraud alert system/process is Capital One; I have both the Wallet app and text alerts.

A few times they've sent me a text message asking me to reply "Confirm" or "Deny" for charges that were out-of-pattern, but I got the text after the charge was approved (the one time I was alerted for a charge my AU made I was especially glad it didn't get denied). 

Some might question the usefulness of this, but if it were fraud my 'Deny' reply would stop any more charges from being approved, and for "the one that got away" I'm not responsible anyway. 

I will note, though, that a couple of times I was expecting the text alert I didn't get it, and I've received it for charges that were otherwise routine.  I'm sure they have their reasons...

It's really a 'dance' the banks have to do with fraud prevention... too lax and they lose money on fraud, too restrictive and when it's triggered people will simply pull out another card (which is what I would do) and they lose the swipe fee/interest revenue.

Yep, same here. It's actually quite amusing when the alerts appear because on one hand for instance I go to Best Buy to purchase $2000 in goods no hicups and yet I go to a 7-11 for a soda and the alert asks if I made that purchase. Really random I have to say.

Message 11 of 25
RadioRob
Established Contributor

Simplynoir, that’s what you get for trying to get an Orange Mango Slurpee!! They’re onto your suspicious patterns! :-p
Message 12 of 25
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

All I wanted was a vanilla Coke and they won't let me have it. Smiley Sad

Message 13 of 25
RadioRob
Established Contributor

It starts with a Vanilla Coke and the next thing you know, you’re selling TVs and laptops out of the back of a van!
Message 14 of 25
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Does anyone else get a little uneasy at the idea of using something other than an Amex or Citi card for a $3k electronics purchase?

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 15 of 25
RadioRob
Established Contributor

Earlier this year, I bought a $3.5K TV using my NFCU CashRewards card without issue.  NFCU has yet to decline a transaction of mine, but they have texted me afterwards to verify transactions (which to date have all been valid).  

Message 16 of 25
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

Does anyone else get a little uneasy at the idea of using something other than an Amex or Citi card for a $3k electronics purchase?

Depending on what is purchased and the amount yes. Are the warranty protections pretty even between the two cards? Honestly curious.

Message 17 of 25
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

O... M... G...

CHASE! They decline me at the most inopportune moments!  I was buying lunch (Hawaiian BBQ) for a few guys at work and Sapphire got nervous. (Strangely enough, BoA did the same thing when I pulled them out... Both texted me about 10-15 minutes later. Amex PRG ended up getting the purchase.) 3rd times the charm.
Langers Deli in for $87.66, CSP declined....  text sent 10 minutes later. Cap One MC picked up the tab.
Chase FU declined on 3 different times at Frys Electronics for under $100 purchases. Cap One got those as well.

Strangely enough, this seems to happen mostly at merchants that still rely on mag strip processing.

Message 18 of 25
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Yeah, I was gonna say til you pointed out at that last part that it might be the terminals themselves giving you issues and not necessarily the issuer. Had this happen to my AMEX two days when I went to the grocery store to send a couple of faxes out. Decided to use my Chase card just in case it was an AMEX in general issue and had no problems then. When I called them they really couldn't explain why it happened so I just shrugged it off since the card worked fine later that day.

Message 19 of 25
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@ChargedUp wrote:

O... M... G...

CHASE! They decline me at the most inopportune moments!  I was buying lunch (Hawaiian BBQ) for a few guys at work and Sapphire got nervous. (Strangely enough, BoA did the same thing when I pulled them out... Both texted me about 10-15 minutes later. Amex PRG ended up getting the purchase.) 3rd times the charm.
Langers Deli in for $87.66, CSP declined....  text sent 10 minutes later. Cap One MC picked up the tab.
Chase FU declined on 3 different times at Frys Electronics for under $100 purchases. Cap One got those as well.

Strangely enough, this seems to happen mostly at merchants that still rely on mag strip processing.

It's odd how different lenders are 'jumpy' with various spending patterns.

To be fair all of my current cards have been reliable, but if I were paying for an important meal or any other situation where I didn't want to risk dealing with 'drama' I would use Capital One or my PRG.  Neither of them seem to be bothered with the occasional 'odd' transaction, at least so far <knocks on wood>.

That said, as much as I praise Capital One for 'just working' others have had issues with them, so it does tend to be somewhat profile-specific.

Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.