Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraud on Saks MC

tag
Harvey26
Valued Contributor

Fraud on Saks MC

Got a text today about a $6,000 charge that was approved on my card. I have a 7,000 limit on the card so that leaves me with 1,000 remaining if this reports its truly going to tank my score and I am truly considering closing this card due to this I mean i have never spent anything close to this on the card since I have had it. Seems like Cap One is not handling security very well. Just nervous about the score impacts I plan on buying a new home next year and would be concerned if my score would bounce back in time and once I sell my current property I will pay off car loan and essentially be debt free until new mortgage reports. Will list scores and accounts to give a full picture.

FICO 8s EX: 767 EQ: 765 TU: 780 as of 08/02/2021

Citi Premier 1K/10K Opened: April 2020

Saks Mastercard 6K?/7K: June 2020

Discover 0/25K: July 2015

Home Depot 0/5K: March 2020

Best Buy Visa 0/7K : Nov 2016

Macys AMEX 0/5K : Feb 2021

Virginia Credit Union 0/10.5K : March 2009

American Express Everyday 0/30K : Jan 2021

Bank of America Cash Rewards: 0/10K : Dec 2012

Amex ED: 7K, Delta Gold Amex: 7K Macys Amex: 8K , Bloomingdales Amex: 1K , BOA Premium Rewards: 59.9K , Best Buy Visa: 7K , Banana Republic Mastercard: 5K Target Store Card: 2K VACU Mastercard: 11.5K Discover: 25K, Penfed Platinum Rewards: 12.5K, Apple Card:3K, TD Double Up: 15K,
16 REPLIES 16
KatSoDak
Frequent Contributor

Re: Fraud on Saks MC

Have you talked to someone?  It should be reversed quickly, the account closed and a new card issued. The fraud investigation may take a long time but during this time the charge should be removed from your account. Has Cap One indicated differently?

FICO 8:

EQ FICO 9 - 770
EX FICO 9 - 758

Citi (2) | Discover | HSBC | BOA | NFCU (2) | WF (2) | Simmons Bank | FNBO (2) | PENFED | BBVA | US Bank | Lowes | Care Credit | Home Depot AU
Message 2 of 17
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Why close it if you use it?  If it reports will only hurt your score for 1 reporting period as FICO scores has no memory on the other hand if just have it and don't really use it then by all means close it if it is a burden.  

Message 3 of 17
Harvey26
Valued Contributor

@KatSoDak I did report it as fraud but I have done business with this particular company but the young ladies payment system was hacked so not sure how that will go. 

Amex ED: 7K, Delta Gold Amex: 7K Macys Amex: 8K , Bloomingdales Amex: 1K , BOA Premium Rewards: 59.9K , Best Buy Visa: 7K , Banana Republic Mastercard: 5K Target Store Card: 2K VACU Mastercard: 11.5K Discover: 25K, Penfed Platinum Rewards: 12.5K, Apple Card:3K, TD Double Up: 15K,
Message 4 of 17
Harvey26
Valued Contributor

@CreditCuriosity I just feel very un easy that they so easily approved basically maxing my card out when that is no where near my spending pattern.

Message 5 of 17
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Harvey26 wrote:

@CreditCuriosity I just feel very un easy that they so easily approved basically maxing my card out when that is no where near my spending pattern.

Looks at it this way would you of been mad or embarrassed if they would of turned down say a 2k charge that was legit from you?  Pros/cons of everything and no perfect solution.  Not sure how the Saks card works, but sure they have alerts or locks?  Obviously you were alerted of the charge as they appears to have caught it, obviously not prior to the charge

Message 6 of 17
Harvey26
Valued Contributor

@CreditCuriosity Understandable i guess im just more concerned about my score effects.  I wish i could downgrade it to a store account. 

Message 7 of 17
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@Harvey26 wrote:

@CreditCuriosity Understandable i guess im just more concerned about my score effects.  I wish i could downgrade it to a store account. 

There's really nothing to worry about in terms of your score. Fraud is fraud, and once it's been taken care of, there will be *no* impact on your credit.

I've had multiple experiences involving fraud, and they all turned out fine. In one case, someone opened multiple cards in my name, including a [no limit] Amex Platinum card. Smiley Surprised  And a Capital One card. Those were shut down immediately upon notifying them. Also, my BofA Visa was used fraudulently, and they imemdiately shut it down and sent me a replacement card with a new number. (We never did figure out how my number got used, as *I* had the only physical card in my wallet.)

Anyway, you should have no reason to be concerned about long-term ramifications on your credit scores.

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 8 of 17
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@Harvey26 wrote:

@KatSoDak I did report it as fraud but I have done business with this particular company but the young ladies payment system was hacked so not sure how that will go. 

Wait...  WHAT?! Are we talking about Capital One, or not? Whose system got hacked, and what does that have to do with your fraudulent charge?

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 9 of 17
Harvey26
Valued Contributor

@SoCalGardener capital one was not hacked. my card was on file somewhere and that account got hacked and my card was charged frauduently that way.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.