cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraud on long SD'd card? Is it common?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Fraud on long SD'd card? Is it common?

@daybreakgonesXe wrote:

Quite possible it was an inside job/hacking and/or just a random algorithm to generate a card/expiration/CCV number. Sometimes the 1st 4 digits and even the 2nd 2 first digits are coded to a particular issuer and card. Plug that in, run it through an algorithm to generate random numbers for the rest of the card, guess at the expiration date, and a another guess on the 3 digit code on the back, and bingo! You could have a valid CC on your hands!

Yeah good point - I am thinking this must have been it.

Called the CU just now to confirm everything has been taken care of, and they clarified it was actually my debit card that was compromised.

The number was used to attempt the $4.44 at some Al Jazeera hotel in Richmond Indiana, and a few minutes later at a convenience store in LA, to which I replied to the bank staff that I must have some pretty amazing technology to be able to be in 3 places spread across the country all at the same time Smiley Wink

She also recommended that since I obviously am not using the debit card often, I could just not activate the new one until/unless I need to use it at some place that doesn't take credit.

Message 11 of 15
thummel
Established Contributor

Interesting for sure to say. I'm trying right now to get 2 charges taken off my sportsman guide visa. It very rarely gets use and somehow someone got ahold of the information. Made two charges for 873.00 somewhere in China.
Message 12 of 15
RonM21
Valued Contributor

At least they caught it, thank goodness. As others mentioned, it can happen in a variety of ways. Thieves have grown with the technology we have and can almost do anything.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 13 of 15
Turbobuick
Established Contributor

Here's one for the record books. 

Couple years ago I had fraud on BofA visa card. They said no problem and we'll get a new card right out. Got the new card in two days. On the phone to auto-activate it and got sent to CSR. On hold a few minutes to find out that the card I had not yet activated, had already been compromised. How is that possible, I asked the rep. She just said she wasn't sure, but I'd have another new card in a couple days.  

Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Turbobuick wrote:

Here's one for the record books. 

Couple years ago I had fraud on BofA visa card. They said no problem and we'll get a new right out. Got the new card in two days. On the phone to auto-activate it and got sent to CSR. On hold a few minutes to find out that the card I had not yet activated, had already been compromised. How is that possible, I asked the rep. She just said she wasn't sure, but I'd have a new card in a couple days.  

That is crazy, and makes me think they really must just be randomly generating card numbers and trying them to find ones that happen to be real card numbers.

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.