tag
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Fraud question

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

I live a very boring life 

The most questionable website I ever used cards on is probably Dominos 

That excludes "look but dont buy" websites. 

Not to raise intra-family conflict (well, yes, may as well), but you have teen age kids?  Is it possible that they have been even more risky (extreme KFC for instance)?   

But as others have said, fraud can happen in all sorts of ways, don't need to have used the card, so online might have nothing to do with it.

This is probably it. Someone went to KFC instead of Popeye's.

Message 11 of 40
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

Not to raise intra-family conflict (well, yes, may as well), but you have teen age kids?  Is it possible that they have been even more risky (extreme KFC for instance)?   

But as others have said, fraud can happen in all sorts of ways, don't need to have used the card, so online might have nothing to do with it.

Kids typically order from Dominos or Doordash. 

My daughter will do online shopping,  but in her world, everything gets paid with CSR. 

My son...he asks me or his sister, because if he was to order something,  he'd have to put controller down for a minute. 

Message 12 of 40
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

This is probably it. Someone went to KFC instead of Popeye's.

The sheeken gods need a cow sacrifce so their reign of (fraud) terror can be stopped

Message 13 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Rem - do you have a centralized bill pay or financial management-type site like Mint or US Bank's bill pay (ie CheckFree) or something that has all the account numbers stored?  

Do you use ALL your cards on any particular website? Like rotating around where you pay the utility bill? Or are you pretty category-specific - like CSR is only used on site A, B, and C, and Cash+ used at D and E, etc? 

Message 14 of 40
kilroy8
Community Leader
Super Contributor

I have only ever had fraud on Quicksilver, and Cap One did a bang up job of detecting it immediately and calling me.

I blamed GroupOn in that case, as it was the only place I had used card in past month. Haven't done business with GroupOn since then.

Message 15 of 40
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey Rem - do you have a centralized bill pay or financial management-type site like Mint or US Bank's bill pay (ie CheckFree) or something that has all the account numbers stored?  

Do you use ALL your cards on any particular website? Like rotating around where you pay the utility bill? Or are you pretty category-specific - like CSR is only used on site A, B, and C, and Cash+ used at D and E, etc? 

No, I dont. I like to hold the wheel. 

Yes, three websites. Dominos, one for medical hosiery, and I think all of them were used when making a purchase for someone at work who due to financial issues falls in unbanked territory, some place that sells vaping juice. 

I'm using Delta Reserve as reference point, because at the time of first fraud, card was barely 3 months old, so easier to see what it was used for, then look for presence of same websites/physical location on other cards. 

But that's all predicated on the idea that all fraud instances are related. 

Message 16 of 40
kilroy8
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

No, I dont. I like to hold the wheel. 

Yes, three websites. Dominos, one for medical hosiery, and I think all of them were used when making a purchase for someone at work who due to financial issues falls in unbanked territory, some place that sells vaping juice. 

I'm using Delta Reserve as reference point, because at the time of first fraud, card was barely 3 months old, so easier to see what it was used for, then look for presence of same websites/physical location on other cards. 

But that's all predicated on the idea that all fraud instances are related. 

Samsung Pay makes me take photos of a card before I start using it though them. Maybe your photos or phone have been compromised?  Malware apps/games are common.

Message 17 of 40
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@kilroy8 wrote:

I have only ever had fraud on Quicksilver, and Cap One did a bang up job of detecting it immediately and calling me.

I blamed GroupOn in that case, as it was the only place I had used card in past month. Haven't done business with GroupOn since then.

Was this an instance where you had notifications on for charges and you didn't get an alert from CapOne?

Message 18 of 40
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

Were all the cards in question used in the same place or on the same website at one time or another? If not, I would definitely run a deep anti-virus scan on both your computer and/or phone. Actually it wouldn't hurt to run a scan anyways. This sounds like a classic keylogger virus grabbing info from online purchases (Assuming these weren't all swiped in the same gas pump someplace within a week or so.).

As far as changing all your account numbers, if the computer scan finds something devious (outside of your normal grin.gif) then I would go ahead and replace account numbers on whatever cards that you've used online. Otherwise, I'd say there's no need for the trouble and just handle things as they come up for now.

Message 19 of 40
Kforce
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

And while the major threat for card stealing malware is still probably on ecommerce sites servers, do a check of your computer/phone for such malware

+100

Message 20 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.