Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraudulent charge blocked by Chase

tag
Sevenfeet
Regular Contributor

Fraudulent charge blocked by Chase

Well Chase's fraud department is on the job and apparently has my back.  Yesterday someone tried to charge over $1500 in a children's clothing store in Houston...and I don't live in Texas.  They notified my wife (since she owns the card; I'm an AU) and the cards have been shut down with new ones due to arrive overnight tomorrow (the original charge was blocked at point of sale).  I've reviewed all Chase Freedom charges in 2013 and I can't find any other instance of a fraudulent purchase, so I think we're in the clear.

My wife wants to know how this happened.  Sadly since I work in enteprise IT, I know a lot of ways it could have happened.  Most likely it was either a skimmer that one of us didn't notice at point-of-sale, or an unscrupulous waiter skimmed it in a restaurant.  That's less likely since we haven't used this card in a fulll service restaurant in a while, but still possible.

Just be careful out there boys and girls.  EMV tech for cards cannot come fast enough in my book, but even then we'll stilll need anti-fraud heuristics back at the data center.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Fraudulent charge blocked by Chase

Message 2 of 5
broseph23
Regular Contributor

Chase is super good about catching fraud. In February, the called me to say they denied over $2000 of online charges that were made to my plus1 card. Thing is, that card hadn't been used since August, and was SD since sept so I have no idea how someone got the number!
Age: 25 | FICO: TU 802, EQ 782, EX 801 | FAKO: TU 778, EX 769 | Garden: 6/2015 | Total History: 7yr 6mo | AAoA: 4yr 2mo | Util: 4%
........24000...............10000.....................6000................7000................500..................5000................18000...............10000
Message 3 of 5
jm00ser
Regular Contributor

Good to hear.

Had my Amex card used fradulently last week myself. Crooks are getting pretty good with obtaining that kind of info. Luckily for me it was just a $30 purchase from an infomercial per the Amex rep...

In full gardening/ debt annihilation mode! (4/15/13)
Notre Dame FCU Visa 0/2k (8/04); CapOne Best Buy 800/1.5k (7\06)
Citi Thank You World MC 4800/9.7k (1/11); Amex Zync NPSL (9/11)
Chase Freedom Visa 1600/3.8k (9/11); Chase Southwest RR Premier Visa Signature 4300/10.7k (6/12); Discover It 0/3k (7/12)
EQ: 751 (4/1/13) EX: 742 (4/8/13) TU: 732 (4/8/13)
Message 4 of 5
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

I set alerts for Chase to notify me by text ( Discover too) I can choose limits, online/phone charges, etc can't be too safe.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.