Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free Travel, Free Nights

tag
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: Free Travel, Free Nights

@TheBoondocks wrote:
Long term lurker, that's exactly what I'm trying to say, you and Shadow get me lol.

Well, everyone else commenting on this thread also gets it. Smiley Tongue

Here is the math:

Pay $850 in Annual Fees for the combination of Chase Sapphire Reserve plus US Bank Altitude Reserve. Discuss with Significant Other "Why are you spending $850 in credit card annual fees???" Explain.

Spend $325 for Travel Coded costs on the US Bank Altitude Reserve, see a $325 credit on a near term statement. Net fee: $75.

Spend $300 for Travel Coded costs on the Chase Sapphire Reserve, see a $300 credit on a near term statement. Net fee: $125.

Out of pocket cost:

$325 paid for travel on Altitude Reserve

$300 paid for travel on CSR

$75 paid for Annual Fee on Altitude Reserve

$125 paid for Annual Fee on CSR

Total amount paid: $850

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 11 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you are getting less benefit than the annual fee why keep them?  Even at $150 dollars fee are you getting more value out of the card over a 2 percent cash back card with no fee.  Or another travel card with a lower fee 

If you are an infrequent traveler the Priority Pass is going to have limited value.  A lot of the Priority Pass lounges aren't even worth going into.  Some are in other terminals than the one you are flying out of.   

Message 12 of 17
TheBoondocks
Established Contributor

Hahaaha NRB!
Message 13 of 17
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

@TheBoondocks wrote:
Long term lurker, that's exactly what I'm trying to say, you and Shadow get me lol.

Well, everyone else commenting on this thread also gets it. Smiley Tongue

Here is the math:

Pay $850 in Annual Fees for the combination of Chase Sapphire Reserve plus US Bank Altitude Reserve. Discuss with Significant Other "Why are you spending $850 in credit card annual fees???" Explain.

Spend $325 for Travel Coded costs on the US Bank Altitude Reserve, see a $325 credit on a near term statement. Net fee: $75.

Spend $300 for Travel Coded costs on the Chase Sapphire Reserve, see a $300 credit on a near term statement. Net fee: $125.

Out of pocket cost:

$325 paid for travel on Altitude Reserve

$300 paid for travel on CSR

$75 paid for Annual Fee on Altitude Reserve

$125 paid for Annual Fee on CSR

Total amount paid: $850

If everyone else gets it, then I guess I don't.

$325+$300+$75+$125=$825, not $850.

The notional net AF (which I dispute, given that I think it is necessary to add back the opportunity cost of rewards on $300 of travel) on CSR is $150.

So by your chosen method of determining net AF, it should be $325+$300+$75+$150, right?

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 14 of 17
NRB525
Super Contributor

Yes, $150 net on the CSR.
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 15 of 17
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If you are getting less benefit than the annual fee why keep them?  Even at $150 dollars fee are you getting more value out of the card over a 2 percent cash back card with no fee.  Or another travel card with a lower fee 

If you are an infrequent traveler the Priority Pass is going to have limited value.  A lot of the Priority Pass lounges aren't even worth going into.  Some are in other terminals than the one you are flying out of.   

Exactly!  Priority Pass has limited value for those who travel infrequently, and for those who only travel domestically, and for those whose flights leave from a different terminal.

And, if you have the Priority Pass benefit on two or more high-fee cards, you are paying for the same Priority Pass benefit two or more times.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 16 of 17
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Exactly!  Priority Pass has limited value for those who travel infrequently, and for those who only travel domestically, and for those whose flights leave from a different terminal.

And, if you have the Priority Pass benefit on two or more high-fee cards, you are paying for the same Priority Pass benefit two or more times.

Plus some lounges wait-list PP customers, restrict them to off-peak hours, or sometimes refuse PP entirely even though they are officially participating and are listed. Under extreme crowding cases I've heard of Amex customers being turned away from the small CentSFO (after being given a restaurant voucher or a promised credit)...but that's rare. In contrast, lounges refusing PP is quite common.

I'm not sure about the "paying twice" idea. I don't know what issuers pay these days for customers' Priority Pass, but I kind of suspect issuers may have negotiated lower bulk membership rates. Since so many cards offer it now and lounges are busy, I wonder if issuers feel the fair value of PP has declined...and that PP is willing to deal at lower prices, since they sell so many memberships in bulk.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.