cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free credit reports, approved or denied applications.

tag
distantarray
Established Contributor

Free credit reports, approved or denied applications.

Just wanted to throw this out there, I just got approved for Citi Forward and this was a notice that was attached to my user agreements. Hope admins don't mind but there's no personal information so should be ok.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

Re: Free credit reports, approved or denied applications.

with experian its only if youve been denied via the website

edit:  you may have to submit a written request and I wouldnt recommend doing it on the phone cause their automated system is a joke

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 2 of 12
distantarray
Established Contributor

@rootpooty wrote:

with experian its only if youve been denied via the website

edit:  you may have to submit a written request and I wouldnt recommend doing it on the phone cause their automated system is a joke

I just did it to see how bad it was, it was pretty easy I don't know why you called it a joke personally. And I hate Experian =\

and Yes I ordered the Experian report over the phone and Yes I already got my free annual credit report so it worked just fine.

"If you were approved, and recieved a term not as favorable as the advertised rates and would like your credit report press 1" =)

Message 3 of 12
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

I had to order my report over the phone to confirm my identity.  It was a joke.

Second you cannot request your report for free online unless you were denied

Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

Message 4 of 12
distantarray
Established Contributor

@rootpooty wrote:

I had to order my report over the phone to confirm my identity.  It was a joke.

Second you cannot request your report for free online unless you were denied

doesn't take more than 6 minutes (timed it)  Editited  

Please refrain from posting info that goes against the TOS.  Shogun

Message 5 of 12
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

I see. I know the tricks with TU and EQ but had a hard time with EX. Then found out the only way to get the report free online was if you were denied. If you want to dispute something you need a report number. I don't have USAA. Any ways congrats on your Citi card

Message 6 of 12
distantarray
Established Contributor

@rootpooty wrote:
I see. I know the tricks with TU and EQ but had a hard time with EX. Then found out the only way to get the report free online was if you were denied. If you want to dispute something you need a report number. I don't have USAA. Any ways congrats on your Citi card

you should always call and not view it online regardless, the online version is not as complete and is doesn't hold much value if you were to dispute something. Having their version printed out is much more valuable in any case.

Message 7 of 12
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

@distantarray wrote:

@rootpooty wrote:

you should always call and not view it online regardless, the online version is not as complete and is doesn't hold much value if you were to dispute something. Having their version printed out is much more valuable in any case.

thats true the printed version has much more information.  Is it like that with EQ and TU?

Message 8 of 12
mikka1
Frequent Contributor

<< (...)Second you cannot request your report for free online unless you were denied(...) >>

I would strongly doubt it. 

As long as I understand how the system works, Experian has no idea if you were denied or not right after a HP. As it might take some time for the tradeline to appear in your report (from 2 to roughly 7+ days for different CRAs and lenders, as I see), you have at least those 2-7 days to request your report online. The only thing CRA seems to check is if the lender you state as the one performed adverse action against you matches the lender recently pulled your file. 

Even after a tradeline "posts" to your file, I still doubt you can't request your report anymore. I personally ordered my report from EX and TU several times after being approved for different cards, but with conditions (like APR etc) slightly worse that those for "ideal" borrowers. AFAIK this is also technically considered "adverse action" after which you become eligible to get a free report. 

If my understanding of how the system works is right, then CRA has no chance to understand if you were denied or not. They have to believe you :-)

In my wallet now: Amex PRG NPSL, Amex BCE $15k $17k (thanks to recent CLI), Chase Freedom 11k, CSP $6k, Chase United ME $5k, Citi Dividend $5.6k, Discover It $4.5k and a handful of other cards...
TU Dec 2013 - 752Sep 2013 - 764 - new all time maximum

Obsolete data aboveCurrent TU - probably around ~810, only using a few Chase & BofA cards now, not applying for much until we buy a house
Message 9 of 12
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

How is an online version of a CR different than a printed one?

Why would they be any different?  Why would one be lacking info over the other?

I have a hard time believing that an online version of a CR is any different than a printed out version.  

annualcreditreport.com comes to mind.  .com = online, no??

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.