Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freedom Q1 2020 5% revealed.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Freedom Q1 2020 5% revealed.

Freeeeeeeeeeeeeedom!

gas stations, select streaming services, and internet, cable, and phone services https://onemileatatime.com/chase-freedom-categories/?utm_source=BoardingArea&utm_medium=BoardingArea

gonna test to see if gc inside 7-11 is coded as gas, lol. Still may not max it even if it does, 8% isn't really a top rate.

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Freedom Q120 5% revealed.

Blah, bad quarter for me since the big spending ones are the streaming and internet/cable/phone services which Ink Cash already covers. I guess if I want to show personal card some spend again I could switch it over but that's basically a lateral move

Message 2 of 21
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Meh.  I'll get my $30/month of spend on gas filling up in Q1.  Netflix is already prepaid for like a year.  Anyone know if Verizon FIOS actually triggers Chase's internet/cable/phone category?  It doesn't for US Bank Cash+, as the Visa MCC is somehow  "calls placed through magnetic stripe-reading telephones" for FIOS.

Message 3 of 21
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Meh.  I'll get my $30/month of spend on gas filling up in Q1.  Netflix is already prepaid for like a year.  Anyone know if Verizon FIOS actually triggers Chase's internet/cable/phone category?  It doesn't for US Bank Cash+, as the Visa MCC is somehow  "calls placed through magnetic stripe-reading telephones" for FIOS.

This is on the Ink Cash and the datapoint is from 2014 but still the same category so with that in mind yes it does seem to count as 5X with Chase

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23276362-post9.html

Message 4 of 21
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Meh quarter as DU will take care of gas although suppose can slip i between DU/Freedom as UR's still hold at least 5% CB or higher wih CSR, etc...  Streaming I am not going to bother changing netflix sub etc to it for 3 monhs ot much hassle.  I will use it a bit, but certainly won't be able to max it for the quarter

Message 5 of 21
Man-Of-Steel
Established Contributor

Re: Freedom Q1 2020 5% revealed.

I get the feeling that I might be one of the few around here that likes the new upcoming categories.  I currently don't have any cards that get better than 2% for the new quarter, so I'm pleased with these selections (happy about the upcoming Discover quarter as well).

Message 6 of 21
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@simplynoir wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

This is on the Ink Cash and the datapoint is from 2014 but still the same category so with that in mind yes it does seem to count as 5X with Chase

as an ink cash user I will keep netflix, cable , cell phone with it. 5x on gas is decent , better than the normal 3x I would get with my premeir so i am not going to be complaining too much about that.

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 7 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wish I had this card. Comcast bill is $139.99 a month. Prepay $1500 of that $1679.88 and pocket $75? I would jump all over that. 

Message 8 of 21
wasCB14
Super Contributor

The marginal value beyond BCP (which I plan to downgrade in ~9 months), the Costco Visa, and Amex offers is pretty low. And I don't spend a lot in any of those categories.

I'm going to miss Chase Pay. Q1 Freedom doesn't make the case to keep CSR any stronger.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 9 of 21
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@simplynoir wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Absolutely did on my own Ink Cash up until VZ sold the service in my area.  Actually every single one of my VZ services business or personal has been counted by Chase in that category.

Back on topic though probably another Freedom flatline quarter for me... not going to bother moving the Netflix sub and the Internet / phone still sits on the Ink Cash and I have zero intentions for driving a gasoline car again other than the rentals I get stuck with.  I may be heading to AZ and FL a bit though for projects for a few days each in January, and it doesn't really matter which card I put those particular transactions on so maybe I will trot out the Freedom again for my usual ~$6 gas bill (not doing a lot of driving while on projects).

Then again doesn't really seem to be worth the effort other than a swipe on a card that has been nearly flatlined for most of the last two years.  Pretty awkward when I look at the Chase app and the most recent transactions are in 2018 on that card other than some random $10 at a drive through during the card activity tour I did in June of this year.

        
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.