Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freedom, Sapphire & Discover Spree

tag
Mustangfrank
Regular Contributor

Freedom, Sapphire & Discover Spree

I applied for the Chase Freedom, the Sapphire Preferred and the Discover More cards all on the same day.

I was instantly approved for the Sapphire with a CL of $17,000 ( Yes ! )

I was instantly approved for the Freedom with a CL of $7,000

The Discover was a bit more involved:

I had applied online after receiving weekly Pre-Approvals & was surprised when I got the dreaded 30 day notice.

I followed up checking the application status a few times a day but still the same notification.

Two and half days after I applied a very nice woman from Discover called and asked me a number of ID Questions.

She was very thorough and the most pleasant Customer Rep that I think I have had the pleasure of speaking with.

Every customer service department could learn from Discover.

After the ID questions were done she asked me why I wanted the Discover Card and I told her I had heard great things about the 

card with its 5% cash back and I also told her that everyone raves about their customer service.

She thanked me for choosing Discover and welcomed me aboard but would only give me a $750 CL.

I told her that I was very low compared to my other credit limits but she could not extend any more because although I have a long history

with American Express she said I just did not use enough credit to warrant a larger CL.

She said I would be automatically reevaluted in 6 Months.

I thought about not accepting the card but I already had used a HP Inq. and the woman was so nice I accepted the card.

I guess 800 FICO Scores are only part of the evaluation process.

Amex Zync NPSL 9/12, Amex CostcoTrue Earnings $10K 9/12
Amex BCE $3K 9/12 (Amex Back Dated to 1983)
Chase Sapphire Preferred $17K 11/12, Chase Freedom $7K 11/12
Discover More $750 11/12
CapitalOne Platinum Secured Card 2K 2/12 (Closed 12/12)
FICO: EQ = 804 EX = 802(Amex) TU = 801(Discover)
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Re: Freedom, Sapphire & Discover Spree

My guess is that you have too much credit at your disposal. Discover is one of those lender that cares about the total credit you have (not just with Discover, but all AMEX, Chase, etc).

Message 2 of 3
Mustangfrank
Regular Contributor

Re: Freedom, Sapphire & Discover Spree

The thing is my Chase accounts were not in front of her.

Only my Amex and capitalone accounts.

She said that she sees that I had old accounts dating back to 1983 but the fact that

my recent usage was so low she would only extend $750.

She did say that in 6 months I would get a CLi and my usage would dictate the increase.

I want to have a diversified set of cards and like I said I already took the HP hit so I will use the card.

I am pretty well set now as my rebuilding journey has come to an end.

It took a total of ten (10) Months. 

I would again like to thank everyone in this community for all your help as I could not have done it without you.

Amex Zync NPSL 9/12, Amex CostcoTrue Earnings $10K 9/12
Amex BCE $3K 9/12 (Amex Back Dated to 1983)
Chase Sapphire Preferred $17K 11/12, Chase Freedom $7K 11/12
Discover More $750 11/12
CapitalOne Platinum Secured Card 2K 2/12 (Closed 12/12)
FICO: EQ = 804 EX = 802(Amex) TU = 801(Discover)
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.