Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freedom Unlimited Live!

tag
driftless
Valued Contributor

Re: Freedom Unlimited Live!

Although it is similar to Cap One's QS card, it would be a nice card to have if you also have Chase's CSP.
CSR | Amex Platinum | EDP | QS (2)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 11 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice. Still on the fence on whether I should try to upgrade from my Freedom Card to the Freedom U. My Freedom is a Visa Sig, so I am wondering if I keep the Visa Signature status if do upgrade to it... If you guys had both the Chase Freedom and the Discover card and do not have the CSP, would you guys upgrade or just leave it as is?

Message 12 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Nice. Still on the fence on whether I should try to upgrade from my Freedom Card to the Freedom U. My Freedom is a Visa Sig, so I am wondering if I keep the Visa Signature status if do upgrade to it... If you guys had both the Chase Freedom and the Discover card and do not have the CSP, would you guys upgrade or just leave it as is?

I want to eventually app for the freedom so that it compliments my Discover, if that makes sense... They have rolling 5% categories that seem to be different every quarter. 

Honestly, I don't know much about the csp, but as it stands right now I'd keep my freedom if I had it. But, I'm not sure if there are perks to having the freedom over the unlimited if you also have the csp.

Message 13 of 16
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: Freedom Unlimited live @ CK

@Discover2016 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

So what's the main differences between the unlimited and the QuickSilver?

They are clones basically

Clones? Hardly.

QS has 1.5 % cash-only, no FTF, no BT fee and always access to BT.

Chase Freedom Unlimited has 1.5 UR points which can be cash back, or transferrable through CSP for more value, has FTF, and BT offers are spotty at best.

They each have strengths, so not an easy choice which wins everywhere.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 14 of 16
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@dbutz1109 wrote:

A lot has been said about this card on these boards since word got out of being able to PC from the Freedom to the Freedom Unlimited. It seems to me that there is a good amount of praise for the Freedom Unlimited. Me personally, I would rather have the 5% categories, especially since the categories are usually in areas where I do a lot of spending (gas/transportation, groceries, movies/restaurants, amazon/shopping, etc). Then, I'll just use my Venture or the plethora of other 1.5% cards out there for my purchases that don't hit the categories. For some reason, people seem to be ok with giving up 5% for a constant 1.5% which I don't understand because you can have both. To each their own I suppose...

There are reasons for this other than "to each their own"!

If you value UR, rather than cashback, 1.5UR is more valuable than the 1.5% on QS (or, for some, than the 2% on Citi DC).   On top of that, with the 5/24 rule, many with the Freedom won't be able to get the FU in addition, so they have to choose.    The 5% categories are capped fairly low, and if you have enough uncategorized spend, getting 1.5UR on that may well be more valuable than getting 5UR on some and 1UR on the rest.   But it depends on your spending patterns.

Message 15 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:

@Discover2016 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

So what's the main differences between the unlimited and the QuickSilver?

They are clones basically

Clones? Hardly.

QS has 1.5 % cash-only, no FTF, no BT fee and always access to BT.

Chase Freedom Unlimited has 1.5 UR points which can be cash back, or transferrable through CSP for more value, has FTF, and BT offers are spotty at best.

They each have strengths, so not an easy choice which wins everywhere.

Not for all QS's. 

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.