Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freedom Visa to Mastercard

tag
CredittotheMax
Frequent Contributor

Freedom Visa to Mastercard

I got my chase freedom card in the mail today and I figure I might as well call in and see if I could change to the mastercard version. Of course, I wasn't able to get them to change, nothing ever go smooth for me. However, I got a much of mix answers. One CS person said that "as of right now you are not able to pc," another person said, "maybe try back in a couple of months", then I asked to talk to someone higher up. He transfers me to the lenders department and she said that "I can't change until I have established a year of history with them." One thing is that they all seem to believe that there's a option online when you apply for the card. I had to point out that it wasn't there, then she said oh the mastercard version is not available, then put me on hold and said yes it was available but you still can't get it. For those of you who were able to change to MC version please chip in on how you done it. Thanks

On the good side, my approval equifax score was 729! 

$5k$4.5k$2.8k$8k$500
FICO = EQ: 786 (1/15) TU:774 (2/15) EX: 767 (2/15)
Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
bluescale
Regular Contributor

Re: Freedom Visa to Mastercard

Any particular reason you want MC rather than Visa?

Message 2 of 24
Peteyglad
Established Contributor

I did it, but the card had been open for 18 months.

Chase Sapphire Preferred 20k | Amex Delta Platinum 20k | Amex Hilton Aspire 20k | US Bank Cash+ 25k | Chase Amazon Prime 25k | Barclaycard Aviator Red 40k | Bank of America Alaska Airlines 42k | Chase Marriott 50k | Discover It 50.3k | Amex EDP 52k | Citi Thank You Premier 56K | Bank of America BBR 57.9k
Message 3 of 24
hutchj
Frequent Contributor

I know that Chase doesn't let you PC if you haven't had the card for less than a year. I'm trying to switch from the Sapphire to the Freedom bc I've found that points cards are useless for me.
AMEX BCE: 5k; Barclay Apple: 2.5k; BoA CB: 3k; BoA BBR 4.2k; BoA Travel: 8k; Chase Sapphire: 5k; Chase Freedom: 6k; Citi Diamond: 3k; Discover IT: 9k

June 2013 FICOs: TU: 763; EX: 754; EQ: 764 (was 747 9/2012). Last app 2/20/2014 Garden until 3/2015
Message 4 of 24
bribro
Valued Contributor

In general, you're supposed to have a Chase card open for 12 months before requesting a product change.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 5 of 24
hutchj
Frequent Contributor

Sorry, I meant "if you've had the card for less than a year..."
AMEX BCE: 5k; Barclay Apple: 2.5k; BoA CB: 3k; BoA BBR 4.2k; BoA Travel: 8k; Chase Sapphire: 5k; Chase Freedom: 6k; Citi Diamond: 3k; Discover IT: 9k

June 2013 FICOs: TU: 763; EX: 754; EQ: 764 (was 747 9/2012). Last app 2/20/2014 Garden until 3/2015
Message 6 of 24
KIPPIE12
Established Contributor

I think the general consensus is that it needs to be open for 13 months before eligible for conversion to MC, or  upgrade  to Signature.  I called last week to get my Freedom converted to Signature, and CS said i could convert to Freedom MC or Slate.  So, after going thru EO today, they are working on conversion to Signature for me.

Current Score: EQ: 828, EX: 833, TU: 820 Citi TY Premier WEMC 46.5, (Since 1983)Discover 15.6k|BOA WMC 30.5k|Barclays Juniper Rewards 15k|Barclays Amex 20k| Cap One QS WMC 15K|Chase Freedom VS 19.3k|Citi Dividend WEMC 25k|FNBO 15.5k|CSP 22.1K|Chase Marriott 31.3k|Citi TYP 20K|Citi DP 16.5k|Macys 5k|Sams MasterCard 15k|Barclay Arrival Plus WEMC 18.7k|Chase IHG WMC 26k|Citi Double Cash 10k|Chase MileagePlus Explorer 14k|Amex Everyday 16.2|BBVA Amex 22.5k|Total Rewards VS 12.5k|SGV 10K|Venture 12k|BOA Virgin Atlantic WEMC 11.2K|MB Amex 9.5k
Message 7 of 24
thelethargicage
Valued Contributor

I asked, out of curiosity, if it was possible to switch the payment network from Visa to MC.  They gave me the standard "You have to wait a year" response, so I said I wasn't doing a PC since it would still be a Freedom and that when I applied I wasn't given the choice between Visa and MC.  They lady said she'd put it in a request, and lo and behold it worked.

Message 8 of 24
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

I just sent a message online and said that I was curious if I could have the card switched to the MasterCard network instead of Visa. I was told it was escalated and in about one week the new MasterCard Freedom arrived. The account was open for maybe two or three months when I asked.

Message 9 of 24
CredittotheMax
Frequent Contributor

@thelethargicage wrote:

I asked, out of curiosity, if it was possible to switch the payment network from Visa to MC.  They gave me the standard "You have to wait a year" response, so I said I wasn't doing a PC since it would still be a Freedom and that when I applied I wasn't given the choice between Visa and MC.  They lady said she'd put it in a request, and lo and behold it worked.

How long did you have your account? I told them the samething that I was not pcing to another product just network. They still say no.

$5k$4.5k$2.8k$8k$500
FICO = EQ: 786 (1/15) TU:774 (2/15) EX: 767 (2/15)
Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.