cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freedom convert to Sapphire Preferred....Can it be done?

tag
wHiTeSoL
Valued Contributor

Re: Freedom convert to Sapphire Preferred....Can it be done?

Dont do it! I really honestly think the 40k UR points is worth the extra HP! Dont waste the opportunity by PCing to the CSP.

Message 21 of 35
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Obviously you know your own situation best, but 40K points is quite a lot to lose against a HP which reduces in impact quickly, and a reduction in AAoA with hard-to-measure consequences.    So the question is what do you plan to gain by avoiding the HP/AAoA hit?  If you are applying for a mortgage in the next year or so, then it makes sense to avoid, not sure of many other cases.

Message 22 of 35
p-
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Obviously you know your own situation best, but 40K points is quite a lot to lose against a HP which reduces in impact quickly, and a reduction in AAoA with hard-to-measure consequences.    So the question is what do you plan to gain by avoiding the HP/AAoA hit?  If you are applying for a mortgage in the next year or so, then it makes sense to avoid, not sure of many other cases.

+1.  500 bucks is five years worth of annual fees.  If you have a major app coming up, be patient and wait until you're clear to app and get the bonus.  Except for the nifty metal card, I'm not sure what makes it better than a Freedom Siggy.

Message 23 of 35
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 24 of 35
p-
Valued Contributor

09Lexie wrote: @p- The transferability of points to FT programs

FT = Frequent flyer?

Message 25 of 35
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

I meant frequent travel to cover hotel and airline programs.
Message 26 of 35
parakleet
Valued Contributor

+1 to Lexie. The CSP+Freedom combo is pretty difficult to argue against in terms of value.

Gardening since 7/16/14
Current: EQ 711 7/13/14; EX 724 TU 721 6/19/14
Goal: 760+
Message 27 of 35
p-
Valued Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:

Ah.  Pretty good deal in that respect, justifies the AF?

Message 28 of 35
wHiTeSoL
Valued Contributor

@p- wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

Ah.  Pretty good deal in that respect, justifies the AF?

I would think so, some people value certian FT miles up to .10 a mile which is much higher than what Freedom's are worth. With the combo you can also take advantage of the 5x catagoies to gain additional FT miles. The freedom 10k sign up bonus is enough to get some RT flights instead of $100 already.

Message 29 of 35
SuperKirby
Established Contributor

@p- wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

+1.  500 bucks is five years worth of annual fees.  If you have a major app coming up, be patient and wait until you're clear to app and get the bonus.  Except for the nifty metal card, I'm not sure what makes it better than a Freedom Siggy.

You might touch a nerve there (at least in the frequent traveler world), the CSP is probably one of the best cards out there (IMO the best card period).

For 50,000 CSP points, I can get a $4000 business class ticket one way to london from the US. That's a 8% back value. ($4000 flight divide by 50,000 points).

What can I get for 50,000 Freedom points? $500 cash back. whoopie.

With that said, the Freedom/CSP combo is even better because you can transfer points from your Freedom to the CSP.

Of course, the CSP is only valuble to the frequent traveler, if one doesn't use it's points for flights/Hyatt stays, then the Freedom might be the better choice (if one had to choose only one card).

Message 30 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.