cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freedom convert to Sapphire Preferred....Can it be done?

tag
kmkotas

Freedom convert to Sapphire Preferred....Can it be done?

I recently did a product change from my Chase Slate card to the Freedom card. I really want the Sapphire Preferred and have read on here about some people who were able to successfully convert their freedom cards to Sapphire Preferred without a hard pull or anything like that. Since I recently made the switch, do I have to wait a year to convert the Freedom? Has anyone done this before? Thank you!

1st Financial Bank USA Mastercard (2007) $1,900.00
Chase Sapphire Preferred (2008) $16,000
American Express Gold (April 2013) NPSL
Discover It (April 2013) $5,000
**Experian 765, Equifax 782, TU 787**
Message 1 of 35
34 REPLIES 34
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Freedom convert to Sapphire Preferred....Can it be done?

You will have to call in to find out. It varies depending on the customer (and CSR)
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 35
CardsLifeLine
Frequent Contributor

I tried few days back and CSR was adamant and did not transfer my cards. It might be case by case as well. Try ur luck once and share ur experience.
USBank Cash+(14K)/Penfed Rewards Visa Sigg (25K)/ Penfed Promise card (5K)/ Penfed Amex Travel Rewards card(20K)/AMEX ZYNC (NPSL)/AMEX Startwood(9K)/AMEX COSTCO(5K)/AMEX EVERY DAY (10K)/AMEX HILTON HONOURS (8K)/CHASE FREEDOM(4K)/Chase Salte(12K)/AMEX Fidelity Investments(7.5K)/BOA Better Balance Rewards(5K)/BoA Travel Signature Card (10K)/BoA rewards cards (15K)/AMEX MACYS(6K)/Barclaycard Rewards(3K)/Salie Mea (5K)/DISCOVER IT(7K)/ DCU VISA Platinum Card(7.5K)/PAYPAL MASTER CARD(8K)/GAP(4.5K)/US Bank Flex Rewards (6K)/ Best Buy (4k)/Gymbore Visa card(6K)/ TARGET(600)/CHILDREN PLACE(900)/WALMART DISCOVER(8K)/TOY R US MASTER CARD(8K)/JCP(4K)/KOHLS(400)– Total 31 Cards
Message 3 of 35
kmkotas

I wonder if I ask to speak to a supervisor if they could do it? I only ask because I work for Discover and our supervisors can do just about anything and override any "no's" that our customers may receive.

Message 4 of 35
enharu
Super Contributor

@kmkotas wrote:

I wonder if I ask to speak to a supervisor if they could do it? I only ask because I work for Discover and our supervisors can do just about anything and override any "no's" that our customers may receive.

you could always try.

if that doesn't work you can try contacting their EO as well.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 5 of 35
kmkotas

What is EO? Sorry I know most of the abbreviations but some I am learning as I go haha

Message 6 of 35
CS800
Super Contributor

@kmkotas wrote:

I recently did a product change from my Chase Slate card to the Freedom card. I really want the Sapphire Preferred and have read on here about some people who were able to successfully convert their freedom cards to Sapphire Preferred without a hard pull or anything like that. Since I recently made the switch, do I have to wait a year to convert the Freedom? Has anyone done this before? Thank you!

I recently did a Freedom to CSP. I have had the card for over 16 months. It was rather painless. I called the regular CSR and told him. No HP

Message 7 of 35
kmkotas

I had the Slate card from 2008 until the end of March 2013 when I switched it to the Freedom. Is it even possible to do a product change this soon? I have a great record with them and really need the CSP for the no foreign transaction fees. I know my Discover doesn't have them either but a lot of places overseas don't accept Discover.

Message 8 of 35
enharu
Super Contributor

EO = Executive office.

I wish I can really tell you but I haven't seen someone trying to do a PC twice in a row. You should call Chase and see what they say. Keep us updated!

Message 9 of 35
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

Hey kmkotas! Welcome to the forums!
Looking at your relationship with Chase and just your FICO- is there a reason you aren't just apping for the CSP to gain the 40K signing bonus? Mind you, I don't know your whole profile but seems you are a candidate for instant approval with a decent limit. Also- you can move some of the Freedom 16K limit to CSP. Just a thought.

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 10 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.