Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freedom vs Freedom Unlimited....

tag
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Freedom vs Freedom Unlimited....

I had a similar thing happen a few years back.  When they hear Freedom, they just always assume Freedom Unlimited.  It was happening so often a few years ago there were rumors they might be discontinuing the Freedom.

I called to add an AU onto my Freedom and have it changed to a Visa Signature.  The CSP rep I was speaking with added the AU, then changed me to a Freedom Unlimited.  When I logged into my account later, I noticed there was an FU and not an F!  So I called back, but due to Chase rules on PCs they couldn't change it back for at least 30 days, so I had to get a supervisor.  They changed it back to a Freedom.  A week later I received multiple envelopes from Chase:  Freedom AU card, Freedom Unlimited and AU cards, Freedom Unlimited Visa Signature and AU cards, and Freedom Visa Signature and AU cards.  Yes, 7 new cards from Chase all with the same account number, expiration date, and CVV, but various usage of the words Unlimited and Signature.  LOL

Message 11 of 24
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@wasCB14 wrote:

Has anyone else encountered the term "Freedom Ultimate" in reference to the 5%/5x card?

That's the name the Chase rep used when I downgraded a month ago.

And if Chase's premium customer service reps (CSR tier, not Executive) are making up their own names for credit cards, it does not bode well for the Bonvoy card family. There's enough confusion there already!

Yes.  IIRC correctly the card was originally called Freedom with Ultimate Rewards, so maybe that's just truncated from the original name?

Message 12 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@K-in-Boston wrote:

I had a similar thing happen a few years back.  When they hear Freedom, they just always assume Freedom Unlimited.  It was happening so often a few years ago there were rumors they might be discontinuing the Freedom.

I called to add an AU onto my Freedom and have it changed to a Visa Signature.  The CSP rep I was speaking with added the AU, then changed me to a Freedom Unlimited.  When I logged into my account later, I noticed there was an FU and not an F!  So I called back, but due to Chase rules on PCs they couldn't change it back for at least 30 days, so I had to get a supervisor.  They changed it back to a Freedom.  A week later I received multiple envelopes from Chase:  Freedom AU card, Freedom Unlimited and AU cards, Freedom Unlimited Visa Signature and AU cards, and Freedom Visa Signature and AU cards.  Yes, 7 new cards from Chase all with the same account number, expiration date, and CVV, but various usage of the words Unlimited and Signature.  LOL

But...... were you able to finally get a Freedom and Freedom Unlimited for an AU?

Message 13 of 24
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

Has anyone else encountered the term "Freedom Ultimate" in reference to the 5%/5x card?

That's the name the Chase rep used when I downgraded a month ago.

And if Chase's premium customer service reps (CSR tier, not Executive) are making up their own names for credit cards, it does not bode well for the Bonvoy card family. There's enough confusion there already!

Yes.  IIRC correctly the card was originally called Freedom with Ultimate Rewards, so maybe that's just truncated from the original name?

That could be it.

A bit of an ironic name, really, given the current rewards structure. But I've read that in olden days it automatically gave 3x in a customer's top-spending rewards category (from a list). Then it made sense. Customers had the freedom to earn decent rewards in one of a few different categories.

Not so much in the current "we'll tell you what your bonus categories are and when you'll have them" form.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 14 of 24
redpat
Senior Contributor

Give me freedom or unlimited freedom, which would you rather have?  LT, they gave her unlimited freedom, you should be so proud of her......

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 15 of 24
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

If I look at my spend on the Chase cards over the last month what I put on my CFU dwarfs what I put on my CF.

The only things that I put on the Chase Freedom this quarter:

-Gas

-Snacks at 7-11.

-Lyft (nice place for the 5x)

-Prepay my cell phone for the year.

Freedom Unlimited

-Bills

-Books from Amazon

-Gift Cards

-Dry Cleaning

-Theater Tickets

-Shop Thru Chase

-Groceries

-Convenience Store

-Drug Store

-Gym Snacks

I put more money on my Freedom Unlimited than what I put on my Freedom and CSP combined. All of this is under the 3x bonus for the CFU which I still have for 4 months.

Official travel point totals as of 12/26/23 (1,382,693 Total Points)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 16 of 24
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

Whenever there is a mix-up, the Freedom Unlimited always seems to be the answer.  I think Chase wants to limit the number of Freedom cards so they’ve trained the customer service reps to aggressively promote the Freedom Unlimited.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 17 of 24
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

Whenever there is a mix-up, the Freedom Unlimited always seems to be the answer.  I think Chase wants to limit the number of Freedom cards so they’ve trained the customer service reps to aggressively promote the Freedom Unlimited.

Well, there's nothing stopping them nerfing the Freedom or converting them all to FUs (as was rumored sometime ago).   So I don't know why they would bother to be sneaky about it!   It's not on of their premium cards where they might be concerned about annoying HNW customers.

Message 18 of 24
JNA1
Valued Contributor

Even though I’m at 5/24, my mortgage is through Chase, so they have me pre-approved for the CFU. I called and asked about prequalification and was told it was solid even being 5/24 because of my 17+ year history with them (24.99% APR though🙄) I asked if I could get the Freedom instead. She said no, and that I would almost certainly get denied if were to apply for the Freedom instead I’d the CFU. So no Chase card me in the immediate future. She said I could PC it to the Freedom later “if that option was still available at the time”. It’s honestly not worth the HP and hit in AAoA to me for what I’m guessing will be a low limit CFU based on the 24.99% APR, especially if they do nerf the Freedom or the ability to PC later on. They say they want my business, but apparently not enough to give me what I want to do business with them. They will have to sit on the sideline while I, um, Chase better cards for now! 😉😂
Our credit card journey started 3/2018

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $584,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 9/1/22- $15292.65
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 19 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@JNA1 wrote:
Even though I’m at 5/24, my mortgage is through Chase, so they have me pre-approved for the CFU. I called and asked about prequalification and was told it was solid even being 5/24 because of my 17+ year history with them (24.99% APR though🙄) I asked if I could get the Freedom instead. She said no, and that I would almost certainly get denied if were to apply for the Freedom instead I’d the CFU. So no Chase card me in the immediate future. She said I could PC it to the Freedom later “if that option was still available at the time”. It’s honestly not worth the HP and hit in AAoA to me for what I’m guessing will be a low limit CFU based on the 24.99% APR, especially if they do nerf the Freedom or the ability to PC later on. They say they want my business, but apparently not enough to give me what I want to do business with them. They will have to sit on the sideline while I, um, Chase better cards for now! 😉😂

So a long positive history with Chase can possibly trump the 5/24? If that were true (it's one CSR's comment), that would be a nice DP.

Hopefully Freedom doesn't get nerfed. FU is OK, but I have the DC.

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.