cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fresh off the AMEX B-List...is it cool to have more than 1 card?

tag
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Fresh off the AMEX B-List...is it cool to have more than 1 card?

@MrShush wrote:

SD card?

SD= Sock Drawer

Message 41 of 61
MrShush
Valued Contributor

LOL yeah it just occurred to me what it was Smiley Tongue

Message 42 of 61
cd73
Established Member

I had an old default AMEX Green back in college in '92.  Never paid AMEX for it and one day while in the corporate world, got denied for a corporate AMEX....i had it guaranteed by my company so they issued me one and always kept up with it timely, even though it didn't report on my credit report, I was softed monthly.  After holding that card for roughly 4 years, I app'ed for a Skymiles Platinum, and was approved, then app'ed for a Plat charge and was approved.  I did call in one day to ask them about the member since date though and they told me, they couldnt change it to '92 because i owed a balance.  I paid the old balance, was only about $950....and they then sent me a Zync card as a replacement for my old account with a member since '92 date, so I was finally able to get all my cards backdated and now have 3 accounts with 18+ years history, which has upped my score.  

Having a bunch of amex's doesnt make sense, I have 4, but it sure does help your score.

Message 43 of 61
PRILEY
Regular Contributor

I had the Green card in 89, I got a Gold Buis in 08. After the useful info from this site I call Amex and they couldn't find records from the old green card. I still had the card ! ! Faxed them a copy and they backdated me immediately, Got a new Gold card overnighted to me with the 89 date without me requesting it. So I figured I'd aply for the Blue. Got it,now just waiting for it to start reporting on my reports as a 21 yr old trade line. Thanks AMEX, (and I am using it) I'll use yours to Shush if you're needing more points or something. HMMM this works well for ME !! 

Message 44 of 61
MrShush
Valued Contributor

Re: Fresh off the AMEX B-List...is it cool to have more than 1 card

I'm not even gonna stir up stuff by asking for a backdated card. That isn't as important to me as having a well aged trade. If it reports the 1996 on my reports, then I am more than happy. As far as spending goes, I'm not really a big spender--I have a big mortgage to deal with. I don't buy lunch and $5 coffees everyday and I don't fill up my tank more than twice a month on average (V6 but short commute). I figure I'll schedule some bill payments through it such as my cell phone bill and maybe True Credit which currently is charged to my debit card. Outside of that, I don't really spend willfully.

Message 45 of 61
MrShush
Valued Contributor

CR UPDATE

So I dusted it off for a vacation to San Diego. Used it a couple of times at a cigar bar and for a really nice dinner out with my better half. No worries! Paid off the charges immediately yesterday. No points yet and still no bureau updates! grrr....

Wait! I refreshed my TU report on True Credit and it shows with an open date of  06/27/1996! No Score Watch alert so I pulled a new EQ report and I have a 31 point increase! My oldest account was opened now 14 years 2 months ago, but my AAoA is only 3 years. I am happy!

Message 46 of 61
MrShush
Valued Contributor

...And a 26 point increase on TU! Yes, I bought the score here...

Message 47 of 61
Cory
Established Contributor

Yeah,

What's up with the first $10,000 bonus points from AMEX Zync. I have use this card three times and have not received anything. Does not the Zync card earn points?

Cory

Message 48 of 61
MrShush
Valued Contributor

Like I said, no points yet, but I don't think they'd cheat me out of them either.

Message 49 of 61
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I think it takes a while for points to show up on AmEx --like two billing cycles later. Something crazy.

I don't necessarily think that they would cheat anyone out of points (other than those whose cards were suddenly closed, and their points were gone Smiley Sad), but it probably makes sense to have an envelope going with card receipts, so that you could verify that they eventually showed up.

I've read that Citi, for instance, can be pretty bad about not crediting all one's points.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 50 of 61
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.