Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frustrated with NFCU - is this normal?

tag
sewinlove
Established Member

Frustrated with NFCU - is this normal?

My husband and I are fresh out of bankruptcy. My score is about 530, my husband's is 560's.

My husband applied for NFCU signature cash rewards card and was denied on 4/22.

Today we get an offer for the NFCU cashrewards card.

What gives? Is this normal?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Boonie
Frequent Contributor

Re: Frustrated with NFCU - is this normal?

Your expectations may be a bit too high coming fresh out of bankruptcy.  Sign on to your NFCU account and check your offers.  If a credit card is show, in my experience it means a pretty good chance of approval.  Otherwise, you may want to get a secured car first to show regular payments for a while before getting into an unsecured account.

04/10/17 - FICO 8s - EX 769, EQ 710, TU 724
Message 2 of 7
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Are you asking is it normal to be offered the lower tiered visa? Not at all a signature cc like the other poster indicated would be asking for a lot less than a month out of bk.
Message 3 of 7
scarzy
Regular Contributor

@sewinlove wrote:

My husband and I are fresh out of bankruptcy. My score is about 530, my husband's is 560's.

My husband applied for NFCU signature cash rewards card and was denied on 4/22.

Today we get an offer for the NFCU cashrewards card.

What gives? Is this normal?

Take the cashrewards for now. They will probably start you with $500-...not a shabby amount for someone fresh from bk.

Pay on time for 6 months, and they will give you a decent cli.

starting EQ FICO : 526 current EQ FICO : 640 starting TU FICO: 538 current TU FICO : 656

My wallet: Capital One cash rewards $1,300- ~ NFCU signature cash rewards $5,000- ~ NFCU nRewards $5,000- ~ NFCU LOC $1,000- ~ Target $200- ~ Kohl's $300- ~ Walmart $800- ~ Amazon $900- ~ Updated 6/2013

Discharged Ch7 Nov.16, 2012

Message 4 of 7
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

Go for the cash rewards. If not that get the secured cc. Either way you're in with NFCU for more favorable CL's after about 6 months. You will be farther ahead than many people fresh out of bk.

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 5 of 7
sewinlove
Established Member

Thanks everyone! I was a little unsure about differences between cards.

I'll cross my fingers on the offer. Dying to get in wtih a NFCU CC.

Message 6 of 7
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.