Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frustrated with people who think credit cards are evil

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Frustrated with people who think credit cards are evil

I understand that many people have been burned by credit cards but that's because they don't understand how to use them before applying for one.

They talk about going into debt and how collection agencies are calling and screaming at them for their money back.

Well, of course, if I were to lend someone $X of money then I expect them to pay me back. 

Same thing with the credit card companies, you owe money that you borrowed and now, you've pissed someone off because you haven't paid them. Borrowing money is NOT free unless you understand credit cards. 

If you borrowed more than you can afford, then you honestly should not get a credit card because you will end up in a mountain of debt.

It's really simple: Borrowing to the amount that you can pay back, not potentially could possibly pay back but an amount YOU CAN PAY.

Message 1 of 62
61 REPLIES 61
jason0618
Frequent Contributor

Re: Frustrated with people who think credit cards are evil

Yup. I pay mine off 99.9% of the time. I have no issue with floating for a month or two though. If I want to take a trip in may, and I get a bonus at work in august to cover it, I see nothing wrong with floating it and paying some interest to enjoy a trip now. The difference comes when someone blindly swipes their card and has lets say $1000 in the bank, bit when the bill comes, they've charged $2000 and have absolutely nothing to show for it, and no knowledge of what they bought.
Scores as of 04/2021

Gardening until further notice
Message 2 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

@hannahj - i feel like there might be a fun story behind this outburst...no?

Message 3 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jason0618 wrote:
Yup. I pay mine off 99.9% of the time. I have no issue with floating for a month or two though. If I want to take a trip in may, and I get a bonus at work in august to cover it, I see nothing wrong with floating it and paying some interest to enjoy a trip now. The difference comes when someone blindly swipes their card and has lets say $1000 in the bank, bit when the bill comes, they've charged $2000 and have absolutely nothing to show for it, and no knowledge of what they bought.

Yes, I pay mines off if it's due in 30 days. If I have a 0% APR card or a 0% promotion period, I let it sit there. However, I do calculate the payments so I know how much I should pay for those ones. It just makes me so mad when someone doesn't understand how to use a credit card and go wild with it. Exactly! If you don't have $2,000 to spend then you should not put $2,000 on your credit cards when your bank account only has $1,000. It's so simple, I don't understand why people borrowing crazy amounts, blame their credit card companies for being evil and asking for other's to pity them because they are in debt! The only time I will side with a consumer if they are in debt is if that money they spent was purely for survival. If you lose your job, your ill and you are living on your credit cards for food and bills for a short period then, that's fine. If that is what you have to do then, that's fine. But if you're going to spend and splurge on things you cannot afford and now you're blaming someone else for your mistakes then shame on you!

Message 4 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think the problem is with the user and not the credit card. It's very easy to spend money. It doesn't matter if it's a card or money. If it's money, I can always go to the bank to withdraw more. If it's credit, I can always swipe and pay for it later. I do understand that some people need credit cards to float unexpected balances. That's fine, and there's nothing wrong with it. However, there are people that just spend on things they don't need and only pay the minimum to retain their lifestyle. For people that have those problems with credit cards, I tell them the same thing. When you use a credit card, it isn't your money; you're spending the bank's money. You need to pay it back because every swipe is a loan.

Message 5 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@hannahj - i feel like there might be a fun story behind this outburst...no?

lol it's not even funny, it's just irritating! I just can't even... I'm so frustrated! I should start teaching people how to use their credit cards lol because honestly, these people are going to ruin it for themselves and me!

Message 6 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

My wife is one of these people. But, as has been noted, many of these people are people who have bad credit pasts ... my wife being no exception. We're working on rebuilding her credit, so I'm trying to help her understand that part of rebuidling is getting and using new credit responsibly. 

Message 7 of 62
jason0618
Frequent Contributor

Sad thing about it is that my wife does this same thing. She swipes until it's maxed out and then makes minimum payments. Then she wonders why I won't add her as an AU on mine.
Scores as of 04/2021

Gardening until further notice
Message 8 of 62
Schwartzinator
Frequent Contributor

These are the snowflakes who have little or no self control and don't want to accept their personal responsibility and cry foul about interest rates and "harrasment" from debt collectors. It is inredibly infuriating dealing with those people. There is little you can say to change their mind and get them off the Ramsey sham tram.

Message 9 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jason0618 wrote:
Sad thing about it is that my wife does this same thing. She swipes until it's maxed out and then makes minimum payments. Then she wonders why I won't add her as an AU on mine.

It's a difficult tightrope to walk. I've been toying with the idea of adding her as an AU on one of my cards, but I haven't yet. 

She has an insane amount of debt, and granted, a lot of it is medical debt, but there are a fair number of card chargeoffs too. 

I manage the family finances, and I do so like a hawk, but it would still be very easy for her to swipe, swipe, swipe ... But I also don't like her being without an emergency card or something. Maybe our bank debit card was compromised or something, and she had no means to pay for anything. It's an inner struggle for me right now. 

Message 10 of 62
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.