Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frustrated with people who think credit cards are evil

tag
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

Re: Frustrated with people who think credit cards are evil

@Schwartzinator wrote:

These are the snowflakes who have little or no self control and don't want to accept their personal responsibility and cry foul about interest rates and "harrasment" from debt collectors. It is inredibly infuriating dealing with those people. There is little you can say to change their mind and get them off the Ramsey sham tram.

I'm cracking up at your "SNOWFLAKE" ❄ comment! 

Very true statement... When it comes to your credit, you have no one to blame but yourself!

Although, I'm not ready to call the Ramseyites "sham" followers.  Dave serves a very specific demographic, and he serves them well.  His doctrine fits some people to a "T," and others should simply say "thanks," and walk away.

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 31 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

@sarge12 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
I only buy what I afford to pay off right away. I see CC the same as cash meaning if I don't have it in cash, I can't buy it. It's just easier form of payment and that's why I use cards. Some people see cards as buy now, worry later. That's a dangerous mindset.

Trouble is, "what I can afford to pay off" isn't quite black and white.  As mentioned earlier by someone, there is some research (with som detractors to be sure) that strongly suggest that credit cards, and particularly reward cards, tend to increase spending  (partly because the reward is a discount, so I'll get two instead of 1 as it's cheap, or to get closer to threshold goals, like 150K UR for that trip)

So while someone may PIF each month like cash or a debit card, the spending level might be higher than otherwise, i.e. they are saving a little less.   Now I'm sure we'll see some posts saying that their spending is EXACTLY the same as when they used cash.   Maybe, or maybe not!

But at least for some, using credit cards like cash isn't totally harmless.

That may be the case for some people, but at least for me, I always know exactly to the penny where I stand. Using Quicken, with it being properly set up makes this easy enough to do. If at any time I ever get to where the outstanding balances on credit cards are even within 500 dollars of the balance in checking, I make no further charges. It is all a lot easier to keep up with when you pay bills the day the bills print, rather than waiting till the due date. If I pay any bill even close to the due date, it is because I slipped up because to me the due date is late. I know it is easier for me than many, because my income is not just a little over my expenses, my income is way over expenses. In fact, my actual necessities are less than a third of my income. So I can in fact say, I never ever pay for anything on a credit card that I do not have the funds sitting in my checking account to pay for...period! I have paid no interest on credit cards since 1996 at least, not 1 penny. I'll say again, if I can't drive it or live in it, I will not pay interest on a loan for it.

That's the best advice I've seen on here yet!!!

Message 32 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

@grillandwinemaster wrote:

@Schwartzinator wrote:

These are the snowflakes who have little or no self control and don't want to accept their personal responsibility and cry foul about interest rates and "harrasment" from debt collectors. It is inredibly infuriating dealing with those people. There is little you can say to change their mind and get them off the Ramsey sham tram.

Very true statement... When it comes to your credit, you have no one to blame but yourself!

Although, I'm not ready to call the Ramseyites "sham" followers.  Dave serves a very specific demographic, and he serves them well.  His doctrine fits some people to a "T," and others should simply say "thanks," and walk away.

I suffered through one of his videos on Youtube one time, this one was someone calling in specifically from someone who PIF and never pays interest. Ramsay proceeded to continue to slam CC's and basically call this guy an idiot for continuing to have CC's. I don't have a problem with someone who teaches people to be responsible with CC's, but Ramsey has made it a life goal to demonize the CC industry regardless of the personal responibility of his listeners. 

Ramsey might help some people, but I think his line of thought is terribly flawed when it comes to this...

Message 33 of 62
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Schwartzinator wrote:

This is not always true... sometimes things happen that are truly out of your control and your credit suffers as a result. 

Extended job loss, sick child/spouse/parent, etc. can destroy your credit with little notice.  It's hard to plan for everything, especially health matters, and most people will prioritize health matters above credit scores, anyway.

These things are seldom black-and-white. 

Message 34 of 62
sarge12
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Schwartzinator wrote:

I suffered through one of his videos on Youtube one time, this one was someone calling in specifically from someone who PIF and never pays interest. Ramsay proceeded to continue to slam CC's and basically call this guy an idiot for continuing to have CC's. I don't have a problem with someone who teaches people to be responsible with CC's, but Ramsey has made it a life goal to demonize the CC industry regardless of the personal responibility of his listeners. 

Ramsey might help some people, but I think his line of thought is terribly flawed when it comes to this...

Credit cards are only as helpful or harmful as the method in which they are used or abused. Like cars and guns, they do nothing on their own, and how dangerous they are is totally up to the user. Also like cars and guns, respect for the potential damage they can do is needed always. Unfortunately, when we as humans tend to not respect the potential dangers of these objects and we mess up, we tend to blame the object rather than take responsibility for misusing them. Guns are safe if respected and controlled, cars are safe if driven responsibly, and cards are safe if used the right way. You do not need to control a credit card, it will only do what you ask it to do, you need to control you with a credit card.in your hand or wallet.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 35 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

Life has taught me to insulate myself against foolishness. Not everyone that says they want help really wants it. Especially if it means they have to change anything about themselves (ie - the way they think/spend/lifestyle). 

Up until about a year ago, I was willing to help/discuss with anyone the benefits of credit or how to get out of/stay out of debt and still use credit cards successfully. Now, I restrict it to people in my circle and even then I'm limited. 

I totally understand your need to vent OP and you've come to the right place to do it. See you all around the forum!Smiley Happy

Message 36 of 62
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

@sarge12 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
I only buy what I afford to pay off right away. I see CC the same as cash meaning if I don't have it in cash, I can't buy it. It's just easier form of payment and that's why I use cards. Some people see cards as buy now, worry later. That's a dangerous mindset.

Trouble is, "what I can afford to pay off" isn't quite black and white.  As mentioned earlier by someone, there is some research (with som detractors to be sure) that strongly suggest that credit cards, and particularly reward cards, tend to increase spending  (partly because the reward is a discount, so I'll get two instead of 1 as it's cheap, or to get closer to threshold goals, like 150K UR for that trip)

So while someone may PIF each month like cash or a debit card, the spending level might be higher than otherwise, i.e. they are saving a little less.   Now I'm sure we'll see some posts saying that their spending is EXACTLY the same as when they used cash.   Maybe, or maybe not!

But at least for some, using credit cards like cash isn't totally harmless.

That may be the case for some people, but at least for me, I always know exactly to the penny where I stand. Using Quicken, with it being properly set up makes this easy enough to do. If at any time I ever get to where the outstanding balances on credit cards are even within 500 dollars of the balance in checking, I make no further charges. It is all a lot easier to keep up with when you pay bills the day the bills print, rather than waiting till the due date. If I pay any bill even close to the due date, it is because I slipped up because to me the due date is late. I know it is easier for me than many, because my income is not just a little over my expenses, my income is way over expenses. In fact, my actual necessities are less than a third of my income. So I can in fact say, I never ever pay for anything on a credit card that I do not have the funds sitting in my checking account to pay for...period! I have paid no interest on credit cards since 1996 at least, not 1 penny. I'll say again, if I can't drive it or live in it, I will not pay interest on a loan for it.

This is so true! I use YNAB and I always know where I stand. It only takes a little time to set up, and once it is, it takes no time really to manage.

If you know where you stand, it is hard to get in trouble.

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 37 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best not to worry about things you can't control. More than anything, that includes the opinions of others.

Message 38 of 62
red259
Super Contributor

While agree in principle not everyone who ends up in credit card debt did something wrong. People get laid off or have unexpected medical bills etc, and others are spending on credit cards just to survive until the next paycheck. Its best to not get too judgey about people because you don't necessarily know their circumstances.
;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 39 of 62
sparklerd34
Established Contributor

My thing is help people but people have to help themselves I've learned from my mistakes and pitfalls. I'm still learning I just refuse to let my kids make the same mistakes. If you keep making the same mistakes over and over you haven't learned. But Everyone has their own path. Some of it was emotional some of it is impulse and some of it learned bahvior. I think I've been all of the above and the. I've also be at a point where I had no debt for 13 years and lived on cash but then I couldn't get any credit. Have to find your balance

Message 40 of 62
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.