Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ft. Knox CC and Ducks Unlimited

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ft. Knox CC and Ducks Unlimited

Just a question with these 2 cards....

Regarding Ducks Unlimited, how does the 3% foreign transaction fee work?  Is that automatically included when you swipe the card on foreign gas stations?  Would the fee count as 5% cashback?  Would the fee appear only on statement cut?

Regarding Ft. Knox CC, their website showed a list of countries where their card would not work.  Any experience when using the Platinum Visa at Canadian gas stations?

https://www.fortknoxfcu.org/atms.html#blocked

My bad if questions seems to be stupid.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Ft. Knox CC and Ducks Unlimited

Hey,

There's no such a thing as a stupid question, the stupidity lives when you don't ask the question Smiley Wink

I do not have either of those two cards but I can pretty much affirm that no, it will not count as 5% cashback. These cards will charge you a 3% fee for every transaction so let's say you make a purchase of $10 - 0.30cents will be paid in fees and so on. If your total purchase is $150, you will pay $4.5 in fees. It does not add to the cashback and I'm also not too sure on how they display the fee but, as far as I know from my past experience with cards that actually charge foreign transaction fees, the total amount of fees owed will show up in the end of the month/once your statement closes but I could be wrong. Normally, as far as I know, they wait to add up then bill you with your statement. Oh, and before I forget, most likely you won't get the cashback on international purchases. Amex, for instance, only only the multipliers to work in the U.S and Chase's multipliers work worldwide.

Regarding your second question, it seems like you can't use that specific card in Canada because of "fraud protection" so I would not rely on that card for an internation trip as there are a bunch of countries in that list, haha!

Just an FYI, there are A BUNCH of credit cards with no foreign transaction fee such as the Capital One's cards. If you plan on traveling abroad, I'd get a CC with no foreign transaction fee as those fees add up pretty quickly! 

Message 2 of 9
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Lol no dumb questions here.

Thilimaa, enjoy reading your responses but can you please try to break up your posts into paragraphs, can be hard to read for many when it just is one long post. Thanks. Keep up the great workSmiley Happy
Message 3 of 9
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

When outside the US, it is more important to have a card with no foreign transaction fees than a card with a rewards program.  Some cards have both:  Chase Sapphire, Capital One, PenFed, Navy, Bank of America Travel Rewards, Barclay's Arrival, etc.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 4 of 9
Green456
Established Contributor

I have Fort Knox. Nice looking card. I know their debit card can’t be used outside of United States (at least in most countries) not sure about CC. Like others said get a card with no foreign transaction fee.
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the input..... looks like PenFed Plat Rewards is a go.  And then I looked up that major gas stations in Canada take AMEX as well.  Looked up on AMEX CA website to verify.  Looks like I don't have to apply for a new CC at all.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey!

Just keep it in mind that you won’t be earning multipliers while using your Amex in Canada but besides that, go for it!
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

On USAA AMEX?  Hoping its just the regular AMEX.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh, I'm sorry. I thought you were talking about "regular" Amex cards. 

I'm not too sure about other issuers.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.