Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fulfilling SUB question, Amex Gold Card

tag
spiritcraft1
Valued Contributor

Fulfilling SUB question, Amex Gold Card

DW was approved for a Gold Card and activated it about 45 days ago.  I had printed out the original page with the offer and the approval web page but can't locate them.  It was a prequal, $50k SUB, but can't recall the exact terms of the spend requirements.  Is this something you can inquire about?  We want to spend the required $$$ to get the SUB of course.  

Thoughts?

Biz |
Current F08 -
Current 2,4,5 -
Current F09 -
No PG Biz Credit in Order of Approval - Uline, Quill, Grainger, SupplyWorks, MSC, Amsterdam, Citi Tractor Supply Rev .8k, NewEgg Net 30 10k, Richelieu 2k, Wurth Supply 2k, Global Ind 2k, Sam's Club Store 11.k, Shell Fleet 19.5k, Citi Exxon 2.5k, Dell Biz Revolving $15k, B&H Photo, $5k

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Fulfilling SUB question, Amex Gold Card

@spiritcraft1 wrote:

DW was approved for a Gold Card and activated it about 45 days ago.  I had printed out the original page with the offer and the approval web page but can't locate them.  It was a prequal, $50k SUB, but can't recall the exact terms of the spend requirements.  Is this something you can inquire about?  We want to spend the required $$$ to get the SUB of course.  

Thoughts?

That's always one of my favorite typos.  (I'm laughing with you, not at you.  I do it all the time.)

Hop on chat or call the number on the back of the card and they will tell you what the spend requirement was.

Message 2 of 18
spiritcraft1
Valued Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@spiritcraft1 wrote:

DW was approved for a Gold Card and activated it about 45 days ago.  I had printed out the original page with the offer and the approval web page but can't locate them.  It was a prequal, $50k SUB, but can't recall the exact terms of the spend.

That's always one of my favorite typos.  (I'm laughing with you, not at you.  I do it all the time.)

Hop on chat or call the number on the back of the card and they will tell you what the spend requirement was.

I wish!  So used to typing that "$xxk".

Thank you...  chat it is!

Biz |
Current F08 -
Current 2,4,5 -
Current F09 -
No PG Biz Credit in Order of Approval - Uline, Quill, Grainger, SupplyWorks, MSC, Amsterdam, Citi Tractor Supply Rev .8k, NewEgg Net 30 10k, Richelieu 2k, Wurth Supply 2k, Global Ind 2k, Sam's Club Store 11.k, Shell Fleet 19.5k, Citi Exxon 2.5k, Dell Biz Revolving $15k, B&H Photo, $5k

Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP You more than likely will get the SUB, unless upon applying you got a pop up stating ineligibility. You might as well just put the required spend on it, because you either will or won't get the points and you already have the card. Unless maybe you won't want to if it turns out there's no SUB. Generally Amex is pretty good about awarding the points. When i applied for my Gold I recieved aeverything one could possibly imagine, except SUB info. So I asked in chat and they confirmed 50K for $3K spend.

Also, you are aware of tghe "print screen" button yes? That save the image in your computer "digitally" so that it's easier to send it to them as proof. Rather than a printed copy.

Message 4 of 18
NRB525
Super Contributor

OP how much have you spent on the Gold card already, excluding the $250 Annual Fee?
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 5 of 18
spiritcraft1
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

OP You more than likely will get the SUB, unless upon applying you got a pop up stating ineligibility. You might as well just put the required spend on it, because you either will or won't get the points and you already have the card. Unless maybe you won't want to if it turns out there's no SUB. Generally Amex is pretty good about awarding the points. When i applied for my Gold I recieved aeverything one could possibly imagine, except SUB info. So I asked in chat and they confirmed 50K for $3K spend.

Also, you are aware of tghe "print screen" button yes? That save the image in your computer "digitally" so that it's easier to send it to them as proof. Rather than a printed copy.

Yes, should have done that!  I could have sworn it was 50k on $4k spend.  The person on chat just said 35k on $2k spend.  It is what it is.  We have already run what must be close to $2k through the card.  We will likely spend the $4k anyway so no big deal.

They also have a wierd thing about limiting payments until a linked bank account is 30 days old.  It seems we can make partial payments.  2nd statement cuts on the 3rd so we should be good to go by then. 

This is the first "Charge Card" for either of us.  So far, so good!

Biz |
Current F08 -
Current 2,4,5 -
Current F09 -

Message 6 of 18
spiritcraft1
Valued Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:
OP how much have you spent on the Gold card already, excluding the $250 Annual Fee?

Right around $1,700,00 

Biz |
Current F08 -
Current 2,4,5 -
Current F09 -

Message 7 of 18
Croakmatic
Valued Member

@spiritcraft1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, should have done that!  I could have sworn it was 50k on $4k spend.  The person on chat just said 35k on $2k spend.  It is what it is.  We have already run what must be close to $2k through the card.  We will likely spend the $4k anyway so no big deal.

They also have a wierd thing about limiting payments until a linked bank account is 30 days old.  It seems we can make partial payments.  2nd statement cuts on the 3rd so we should be good to go by then. 

FYI, you can get around that 1 payment/ first 30 day thing by doing "push" ACH payments from your bank to Amex.  

And generally, Gold is indeed a $4k/90 day spend to get the SUB.

Message 8 of 18
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@spiritcraft1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Did you ask for a transcript of the chat. Better safe than something changing when/if you speak to another CSR. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 9 of 18
spiritcraft1
Valued Contributor

@CreditInspired wrote:

@spiritcraft1 wrote:

Did you ask for a transcript of the chat. Better safe than something changing when/if you speak to another CSR. 

I did not.  I suspect that during that chat I may have been given generic info.  I am fairly certain I went to another browser after seeing the prequal and apped with  50k point offer but could be wrong.

Biz |
Current F08 -
Current 2,4,5 -
Current F09 -

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.