cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Funniest Story of CC's First Impression??

tag
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Funniest Story of CC's First Impression??

LA isn't THAT BAD!!!

Now, If you visit and do tourist things, you are going to meet the people that deal with tourist all the time and probably are snotty LA people or if you are in that "entertainment" side of the business you will meet tons of the plastic LA or what not but I really think I met way more fake/snobby what not people where I'm from and they have 0% reason, let alone knowledge to be that way... at elast some of the ones here can be a snob and throw a black card down!

everywhere has it's pluses and minuses to living I guess!

Message 31 of 53
GatorGuy
Valued Contributor

I concur thank you everyone for your tax dollars when coming to Orlando Smiley Happy
Message 32 of 53
Countingpennies
Established Contributor

Sometime in the '80's, I was vacationing with the SO and shopping in a small, busy boutique. I was looking at a beautiful victorian lace blouse (very IN at the time). Even on sale it was waaay over my comfort zone, but I kept going back to it. The store manager came over and offered some more off the price. Still too much for me, but the SO offered to buy it for me. I went to the register and handed the same manager SO's gold Amex (they weren't quite as commonplace as they are now IIRC), she mumbled "I should have charged you full price."

This may not be a 'funny' story, but I've never forgotten it.
Message 33 of 53
CEOriginal
Contributor

@countingpennies Bad choice of words on my part! I don't think most credit card transactions can be 'funny' in the sense of the word, more like.. Memorable!

But that's crazy though! I've heard many people who have credit cards that merchants deem "prestigious" won't pull it out until the price is secure. Hmmmm... Maybe next time I'm bartering I'll pull out the good ole debit card to kinda lead them on lol

Scores as of 7/28/13: EX.683   TU.688   EQ.???
Message 34 of 53
bribro
Valued Contributor

I've had several interesting reactions to my Palladium card, but one in particular stands out. After handing my card to a cashier at a local salad joint, the guy completely freaked out on me. "THIS IS THE COOLEST CARD EVER!!!" He starts jumping up and down and then starts showing all his coworkers my card. He ends with, "Tell you what boss, I'm going to comp your salad because you're the man." I've never seen someone get so excited over a form of payment.

I've also received several not-so-subtle passes from waitresses and nightclub staff when using that card, not that I would want to associate with any girl that would give it up to a stranger because his credit card is heavy. I guess there's a reason my friend calls it the "get-laidium" card.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 35 of 53
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@bribro wrote:

I've had several interesting reactions to my Palladium card, but one in particular stands out. After handing my card to a cashier at a local salad joint, the guy completely freaked out on me. "THIS IS THE COOLEST CARD EVER!!!" He starts jumping up and down and then starts showing all his coworkers my card. He ends with, "Tell you what boss, I'm going to comp your salad because you're the man." I've never seen someone get so excited over a form of payment.

I've also received several not-so-subtle passes from waitresses and nightclub staff when using that card, not that I would want to associate with any girl that would give it up to a stranger because his credit card is heavy. I guess there's a reason my friend calls it the "get-laidium" card.

LMAO!!!!!!!!!! 

Message 36 of 53
eddie84
Valued Contributor

Haha, good story bribo. I wish I had one of them cards when I was single. Smiley Tongue

Message 37 of 53
john398
Senior Contributor

@scenery_guy wrote:

@bluesnowman wrote:

Scenery_guy- Where in Florida do you live? I was just down there about a week ago for my cousin's wedding and it was a pretty nice place overall (except it rained every day I was there +it's kinda muggy too..lol.) 

Creditscholar- I live In Los Angeles, and I agree that it is a really expensive place to live. Great to visit, but you don't want to live here unless you enjoy dealing with traffic, smog, ill mannered people and the general fast paced lifestlye here. Where in LA did you live in? Also, I don't understand the fascination either that people have with the city of LA. 

Lakeland. Our claim to fame is we were the third city in Florida to have electrical power in 1891 and we have the largest collection of Frank Lloyd Wright buildings on a single site. It's right smack between Tampa and Orlando so we are not too far from the amusement parks (yawn). It's no LA but it's not Mayberry either. 

Yes it rains every day if we are lucky. I actually love the rain and don't mind the humidity. That's one thing I miss when in LA - rain. I actually get out there often for work but I prefer San Francisco if I have time to kill. LA seems a bit off, but not in a bad way. A week or two is a blast especially hanging with showbiz people. They tend to be an odd lot and find some pretty cool off the path places. 

I always think of Publix supermarkets when I think of Lakeland LOL anyway  thanks for the story

Message 38 of 53
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

@john398 wrote:

@scenery_guy wrote:

@bluesnowman wrote:

Scenery_guy- Where in Florida do you live? I was just down there about a week ago for my cousin's wedding and it was a pretty nice place overall (except it rained every day I was there +it's kinda muggy too..lol.) 

Creditscholar- I live In Los Angeles, and I agree that it is a really expensive place to live. Great to visit, but you don't want to live here unless you enjoy dealing with traffic, smog, ill mannered people and the general fast paced lifestlye here. Where in LA did you live in? Also, I don't understand the fascination either that people have with the city of LA. 

Lakeland. Our claim to fame is we were the third city in Florida to have electrical power in 1891 and we have the largest collection of Frank Lloyd Wright buildings on a single site. It's right smack between Tampa and Orlando so we are not too far from the amusement parks (yawn). It's no LA but it's not Mayberry either. 

Yes it rains every day if we are lucky. I actually love the rain and don't mind the humidity. That's one thing I miss when in LA - rain. I actually get out there often for work but I prefer San Francisco if I have time to kill. LA seems a bit off, but not in a bad way. A week or two is a blast especially hanging with showbiz people. They tend to be an odd lot and find some pretty cool off the path places. 

I always think of Publix supermarkets when I think of Lakeland LOL anyway  thanks for the story

I love Publix. I do a project or two for them each year. Barney Barnett - the Vice Chairman of Publix (his wife Carol is the CEO) comes by my shop to check in on things. Drives an older Ford SUV and always wants a cup of coffee. All I have is foam cups and he pours a cup, checks things out and thanks me for the coffee then leaves. The dude is a billionaire several times over yet salt of the earth. You can tell he loves the company and the founder's daughter/his wife. Sorry for the sidetrack but thought you might like that story. 

Message 39 of 53
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@scenery_guy wrote:

Thanks to all of you who visit Florida and Disney. We can use the money... sorry about the southern obese scooter riders. 

Will be headed there in September, I think.  It'll be my first visit to a Disneyworld of any kind.  Do you think it's better to stay in or out of the Park?

CC impressions - I was at the Beverly Center looking around for a new watch.  This older gentleman next to me with two young and extremely comely female companions was buying a $30,000 watch with an Amex Platinum.  

After seeing that, I've always associated Amex with luxury spending.

First visit? Stay in the park area at one of the themed resorts. You will be so occupied you won't need to leave property for much of anything (unless you want to hit Universal ride some rides or visit Sea World). 

Check out the Dolphin or the Swan. Very close to all four parks and you get some nice perks for staying there. Also it's a SPG property Smiley Wink and I know you have some points to either burn or earn. If you have other properties in mind drop me a PM as I have done shows in every property in Orlando, staying on site for most of them. I'll give you honest feedback if you are in doubt. 

Message 40 of 53
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.