Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Furniture store credit

tag
mamahearts
Frequent Contributor

Furniture store credit

Any recommendations on which furniture stores credit cards are the best.  I read that it's not a good idea to apply for credit cards right before applying for a home loan so we'd wait until after we close.   I haven't found any recent threads on this topic.  

We need living room, dining room and master bedroom furniture.  We really need new living room furniture asap.  We can keep using the same bedroom and dining room furniture until the rest is paid off.   Has anyone gotten the Overstock.com credit card?  That's the one I have in mind because furniture prices are inexpensive but the quality (based on reviews) seems very good.  

Thanks!

myFICO starting TU 683 8/26/11
myFICO starting EQ 645 8/26/11
myFICO EQ 652 9/26
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
MrShush
Valued Contributor

Re: Furniture store credit

First as you already know, NO credit until you have the keys in hand and closing docs are signed and notarized! Now that is out of the way, American Signature Furniture/Value City Furniture had been known to pre approve when registering on their website. I was on there one night and the offer popped up. I am not sure if the limits are different than a store app but it is a good place to start. It is a real revolving card rather than a line if credit which may or may not appear negatively on your reports.
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you have American TV & Appliance in your area, their card is issued by WFNNB and they report as a revolving account.

Message 3 of 8
mamahearts
Frequent Contributor

Thank you both! We don't have either of those stores in our area.  But I will keep looking.  Smiley Happy

myFICO EQ 652 9/26
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

What state do you live in?

As far as Overstock.com, WhoGaveMeCredit has a few entries, but not many. The other database I check has only 1 and it's from 2006. It appears to be a partnership with FNB of Omaha, and it also appears you'll want to have a 700+ score to qualify. If you can qualify, the nice thing is it's not just a store card. More info here:

http://credit.about.com/od/Retail-Credit-Card-Reviews/fr/Overstock-Mastercard-Review.htm

Message 5 of 8
mamahearts
Frequent Contributor

Thanks alot for checking that for me!  I'm in SD.  I will have to wait until we buy a house before I can apply for anything because we're applying soon for the mortgage loan. Smiley Happy  

stanggt03 wrote:

What state do you live in?

As far as Overstock.com, WhoGaveMeCredit has a few entries, but not many. The other database I check has only 1 and it's from 2006. It appears to be a partnership with FNB of Omaha, and it also appears you'll want to have a 700+ score to qualify. If you can qualify, the nice thing is it's not just a store card. More info here:

http://credit.about.com/od/Retail-Credit-Card-Reviews/fr/Overstock-Mastercard-Review.htm

myFICO EQ 652 9/26
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

There are 5 Ashley Furniture Homestores in SD. Their financing is through GEMB, who's pretty easy to get in with having scores similar to yours.

Message 7 of 8
mamahearts
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

There are 5 Ashley Furniture Homestores in SD. Their financing is through GEMB, who's pretty easy to get in with having scores similar to yours.

Thank you!  We have one in town.  I love their furniture, btw! Smiley Happy

myFICO EQ 652 9/26
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.