Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Future lineup

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Future lineup

@joshkm wrote:

With your spending it sounds like a Discover card and Freedom would be great to cover 5% categories and get you in with Chase. Amex Blue Cash Everyday for groceries and maybe a Citi Double Cash to cover the rest of it.

It doesn't sound like you're doing anything soon so you'll have plenty of time to do some thinking and evaluate things. That's the biggest hurdle in building credit and getting better cards is the time part.

If cap one will pc my qs1 to qs and I have a decent limit would the dc really be necessary? I read the threashold for the dc vs qs is 20k annually which I wouldnt spend.  If im not re apping for a qs seems like it would suffice to stick with cap one over a dc right?  That threashold is including the bonus for qs which I did read they would give for a pc.

Message 21 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

If cap one will pc my qs1 to qs and I have a decent limit would the dc really be necessary? I read the threashold for the dc vs qs is 20k annually which I wouldnt spend.  If im not re apping for a qs seems like it would suffice to stick with cap one over a dc right?  That threashold is including the bonus for qs which I did read they would give for a pc.

That's true for the first year, but every year after that DC wins handily because 2% back is always greater than 1.5% back.  I don't think I've seen very many (if any) people get a bonus for a PC, but if you do then more power to you!

That being said, whether the extra 0.5% is worth a hard pull to you is up to your own preference...people on this forum go both ways on that.

Message 22 of 41
joshkm
New Contributor

I'm sure a lot of people would say you're just fine with a QS. It depends on if you want to take the hard pull for Double Cash or not when the time comes.

In my opinion it all adds up even it there isn't much difference. I'd rather collect my 2% than 1.5%, but that's my view. Other reasons I went for Double Cash was because they sent me a mailer with a $100 spending bonus and I wanted to get in with Citi to diversify my lineup with different lenders. I can run my rent through it and it's accepted more places than my Fidelity Amex. Like I said, those are my reasons, you need to sit back and think about yours and look at your spending.

I would go for Freedom if you want to get in with Chase. There's no reason to pay an AF for CSP if all you want is the metal card and the rewards won't justify it. I know it's fun to dream about having a metal card, but in real life most cashiers don't care what you pull out of your wallet to pay for things. Better to get the most bang for your buck in rewards that suit you.

Message 23 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

I will mull over my options.  A lot could change.  Gonna move out, get a new car, etc. No idea how much spending or what kind of spending I'll do.  I'll definitely look at my options again in the spring and see where I'm at.

Message 24 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

As of right now my credit is still new and I can accept the cards/limits I have.  Cap one secured $400, qs1 $300 to $750 last week, dcu visa $500, barclays rewards $1000.  Next year, likely july 1st, which will be one year since my first card (secured) and since I have 4 accounts opened in 24 months and I want a csp, no accounts before csp app.  Which means build nice limits with qs1 and barclays until july, get csp.  I want a bcp but don't know if a prg is necessary as well.  I don't travel at all, so definitely would cancel before the af but the bonus would be nice.  Is the freedom necessary as well?  I know it compliments the csp and having those two ur cards seems wise.  Prg is mr which doesnt compliment bcp at all.

I have no problem with closing all current accounts for these prime cards, maybe keeping qs1/qs (will attempt pc in april) opened and SDing it unless I want the no ftf at some point.

Basically, my research says freedom and csp go well and since I want a bcp, not sure what I should do in regards to prg.  If Im gonna close it anyway before af, then opening it wouldnt matter Id assume.

Please list your three fico 08s, AAOA, and monthly spend divided into categories (gas, dining, grocery, travel)

eq 629, tu 752, ex 716 - eq needs to delete 2 collections the other bureaus already did.  Disputes open and will be completed next week.

Aaoa is .4 and thats with my au account from july 2013.  After I remove that in jan, all my accounts are from july 2015-sept 2015.

$40 a week in gas

$100 a week in dining

$40 a week in groceries but that's without amazon gift cards I'd undoubtedly buy at store for the cash back bonus.  Likely $100 a month on amazon if that.

Don't travel ever.

$100 a week misc spend.  I quit drinking last week so that could change things a lot.

Thanks for providing more information. I agree with the others it may be in your best interest to apply for a cash back credit card. Every thing I've read about CSP & Freedom is about redeeming points for travel. Yes, you can redeem the points for cash back but your rate of redemption would suck. 

I recommend the following cash back cards: BoA Cash Rewards (earn 3% gas, 2% groceries, 1% general spend) and Citibank Double Cash (earn 2% on all purchases). When I applied for these 2 cards my scores were 730+ so I don't know the range for acceptable scores and profile.

I would  wait until all of your disputes are resolved before applying for new credit. This will ensure you are maximizing your scores and your credit profile is clean.

Message 25 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@joshkm wrote:

I'm sure a lot of people would say you're just fine with a QS. It depends on if you want to take the hard pull for Double Cash or not when the time comes.

In my opinion it all adds up even it there isn't much difference. I'd rather collect my 2% than 1.5%, but that's my view. Other reasons I went for Double Cash was because they sent me a mailer with a $100 spending bonus and I wanted to get in with Citi to diversify my lineup with different lenders. I can run my rent through it and it's accepted more places than my Fidelity Amex. Like I said, those are my reasons, you need to sit back and think about yours and look at your spending.

I would go for Freedom if you want to get in with Chase. There's no reason to pay an AF for CSP if all you want is the metal card and the rewards won't justify it. I know it's fun to dream about having a metal card, but in real life most cashiers don't care what you pull out of your wallet to pay for things. Better to get the most bang for your buck in rewards that suit you.

+1000

Excellent advice!

Message 26 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I will mull over my options.  A lot could change.  Gonna move out, get a new car, etc. No idea how much spending or what kind of spending I'll do.  I'll definitely look at my options again in the spring and see where I'm at.

Don't wait until spring, make a tentative list now. Begin researching the card(s) so you give yourself plenty of time to be thorough. Then when spring comes, compare your list to your current spending habits and go from there.

If you need another vehicle, try to secure funding before going to the dealership. Save yourself the hassle and stress of them running your credit through a bunch of creditors. If you haven't already, shop your local credit unions. They tend to offer really good loan rates. Some even have annual used car sale events right on their lots.

It's always good to have a plan so you don't find yourself applying for cards you don't need. Goals are good when building a solid credit profile. Best of luck to you!Smiley Happy

Message 27 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, I learned today this job I was supposed to get fell through, so that puts a wrench in my plan.  Ultimately a bce would be nice, to get in with amex plus the grocery cash back would be nice.  If my life changes drastically down the road I can get in with chase, be it a csp or freedom.  I don't care for a freedom now.  Discover it would be cool, too.  A gas and dining card would be the only other thing(s).

Discover for categories

Bce for groceries

Qs

Gas/dining card?

Boa 3-2-1?

Citi costco? (Coming next year)  I don't personally go to costco but could definitely start.  My dad always goes there and gas is always cheap there.

Message 28 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are you planning on redeeming the $ over a long period of time? It's my understanding that only QS1 can you redeem the $ right away - the rest you have to accumulate $25 to redeem the $.

Message 29 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

I dont really mind honestly. A day after my 3rd statement next month for my qs1 I will hit luv button online and then after 5th or 6th (?) statement I will request pc to qs.
Message 30 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.