tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Future lineup

What I am thinking:

Bce to start, could pc to bcp of course if grocery spend warrants it

Qs, rather not take the hp for the dc if my qs1 gets a pc to qs

Discover it, use for the categories

So that takes care of groceries (bce), gas (bce or discover category), everything else (qs).  Don't find it necessary to get the chase aarp for dining or fort knox for gas.  Boa 3-2-1 also isnt worth it.  Some details got leaked for the citi costco card and its rather underwhelming.  So, bce, qs, discover will be my lineup likely.

Of course if something new comes out, I'll reevaluate.  Also, Freedom is still an option since getting in with chase would be nice and the categories will mostly differ from discover it.

Message 31 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

As of right now my credit is still new and I can accept the cards/limits I have.  Cap one secured $400, qs1 $300 to $750 last week, dcu visa $500, barclays rewards $1000.  Next year, likely july 1st, which will be one year since my first card (secured) and since I have 4 accounts opened in 24 months and I want a csp, no accounts before csp app.  Which means build nice limits with qs1 and barclays until july, get csp.  I want a bcp but don't know if a prg is necessary as well.  I don't travel at all, so definitely would cancel before the af but the bonus would be nice.  Is the freedom necessary as well?  I know it compliments the csp and having those two ur cards seems wise.  Prg is mr which doesnt compliment bcp at all.

I have no problem with closing all current accounts for these prime cards, maybe keeping qs1/qs (will attempt pc in april) opened and SDing it unless I want the no ftf at some point.

Basically, my research says freedom and csp go well and since I want a bcp, not sure what I should do in regards to prg.  If Im gonna close it anyway before af, then opening it wouldnt matter Id assume.

Please list your three fico 08s, AAOA, and monthly spend divided into categories (gas, dining, grocery, travel)

eq 629, tu 752, ex 716 - eq needs to delete 2 collections the other bureaus already did.  Disputes open and will be completed next week.

Aaoa is .4 and thats with my au account from july 2013.  After I remove that in jan, all my accounts are from july 2015-sept 2015.

$40 a week in gas

$100 a week in dining

$40 a week in groceries but that's without amazon gift cards I'd undoubtedly buy at store for the cash back bonus.  Likely $100 a month on amazon if that.

Don't travel ever.

$100 a week misc spend.  I quit drinking last week so that could change things a lot.

@Anonymous wrote:

What I am thinking:

Bce to start, could pc to bcp of course if grocery spend warrants it

Qs, rather not take the hp for the dc if my qs1 gets a pc to qs

Discover it, use for the categories

So that takes care of groceries (bce), gas (bce or discover category), everything else (qs).  Don't find it necessary to get the chase aarp for dining or fort knox for gas.  Boa 3-2-1 also isnt worth it.  Some details got leaked for the citi costco card and its rather underwhelming.  So, bce, qs, discover will be my lineup likely.

Of course if something new comes out, I'll reevaluate.  Also, Freedom is still an option since getting in with chase would be nice and the categories will mostly differ from discover it.

For comparison ease, I'm going to put your numbers into annual spends:

$2080 on gas

$5200 on dining

$2080 on groceries

$5200 on gift cards (through grocery category)

$5200 misc.

To break even on the BCP/BCE grocery deal, you need $2500 in grocery spend. You aren't there on your own, but you get there with the gift cards. BCP caps at $6k grocery spend per year. It also bumps gas from 2% to 3%.

If you aren't going to go the AARP route (3% dining, 3% gas, no caps), your dining will probably fall into miscellanous spend. I agree with using Discover or QS(1) for these expenses. If you get in with Discover soonish, you can activate the double cash promotion, which functionally makes it a 2% card with 10% categories and 22% back on Apple pay purchases before Jan. 1. Nobody knows how long the double cash promo will last, so it might be gone by the spring. Or, it might still be going, or it might come back at some point. Nobody knows.

If you can't get the QS1 PCed to a QS, try to get the AF waived. That makes it a de facto QS, just with the QS1 labelling.

If the leaked details of Costco are true, it is underwhelming. AARP + your existing QS1 outperform it.

Message 32 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Forgot to put it in my other post, but someone has already crunched a lot of the numbers to determine the best cash back cards for groceries and gas.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Cash-Back-credit-card-charts/td-p/4004725

All hail TheManWhoCan.

Message 33 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you.  Great stuff.  I will see how my general spend, gas/grocery spend, and overall spend is based on income over the next few months.  I will then decide between bce/bcp and qs/dc.  Cap one will likely give me a decent cl in the near future and AT LEAST, if not a pc, permanently waive af for qs1, so in that case, I'd skip the dc.

Dc vs qs would mean $200 vs $150 yearly if I spent 10k a year on general spend, 3% chase aarp vs qs + 5% discover would mean $90 vs $71.25 yearly if I spent 3k a year on dining, 5% fort knox vs 2% bce + 5% discover/3% bcp + 5% discover would mean $100 vs $55/$62 if I spent 2k on gas.  Wouldn't lose sleep over $110 or so a year.

Edit: I realize my spending differs from last post, slightly.

Message 34 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm thinking about getting a freedom card tomorrow.  Is .7 years aaoa adequate enough? Oldest account is 2.5 years but it's an au account.  If they only pull tu, that's also needed, because I need ex clear for a bce app in the summer.  A freedom would get me in with chase, which would be nice.

Message 35 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm thinking about getting a freedom card tomorrow.  Is .7 years aaoa adequate enough? Oldest account is 2.5 years but it's an au account.  If they only pull tu, that's also needed, because I need ex clear for a bce app in the summer.  A freedom would get me in with chase, which would be nice.

I don't know the answer to your questions, but have you tried their prequal? I've heard it's pretty good. If it says you're good, you're probably good. If it doesn't show you Freedom, you could still be good but you'd be doing it with (potentially) a bit more risk. 

I'm curious - why the real need to get in with Chase? No judgement, I know we all have our reasons for things. Freedom was our daily driver for years before I found this site, nothing against Freedom or Chase. Do you bank with them? Do they represent something/someone? (Example: I felt I was 'in good shape' when I got back in with AmEx after credit issues.) 

Message 36 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Honestly, no reason at all.  I bank with fifth third but might switch to chase.  I'm just so bored of gardening lol.

Also, I'm opted out, so pre qual won't work, I think. 

Message 37 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Honestly, no reason at all.  I bank with fifth third but might switch to chase.  I'm just so bored of gardening lol.

Also, I'm opted out, so pre qual won't work, I think. 

Got it. And I get bored of gardening too. Smiley Wink 

I've read Discover likes clean files. If they're still offering double cash back, that might be a better choice (without the Chase reasoning) since the first quarter category is the same and you'd also get 2% on everything for the next year. Just a thought. Discover is my first or second favorite at various times. 

Message 38 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

I definitely want to get a discover it but they pull eq and that's where my only collection is, unfortunately.  They have denied me twice, too haha.

Message 39 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I definitely want to get a discover it but they pull eq and that's where my only collection is, unfortunately.  They have denied me twice, too haha.

Aww, shucks. I thought EQ was cleared. 

Message 40 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.