Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Future options regarding Altitude Reserve

tag
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

Future options regarding Altitude Reserve

I didnt really want to make two threads as its all tied into the same topic.

My annual fee is due on the USB Altitude Reserve. I called USB to have the Priority Pass switched over to my fiancee's name as shes the primary account holder ( Joint account ). PP renews tomorrow for another year, No one can seem to accomplish this. I even had the relationship and benefits manager call me and try to accomplish this. They cant get it figured out and explained to me that this is a known issue that they are trying to resolve with PP but had no idea when it would be done. I asked for the additonal card fee to be waived then as it's pointless to pay $75 for no benefit at all. She kicked it up the latter but Additional card fee waiver was refused and no points offered to offset the annual fee. Was told to reapply as a single account as the only option.

Honestly I haven't even been using the card all that much lately for Mobile pay. I value 2X MR > 3X Altitude.  I would have kept it for a net $75 but I dont think I should pay the additional $75 with no benefits. If PP could have been switched to her name. I would have paid it and moved on.

USB AR was my daily driver when overseas. Luckily for me most of the resturants overseas code as Hotels so I was able to use it for 3X on travel when really dining out. I spend a considerable amount of time overseas for work and a decent amount dining out while abroad.

My four options are
1. Reapply for the card under just my name
2. Upgrade CSP to CSR to replace the Altitude
3. App Citi Prestige ( When does that open again ? )
4. Keep account as is

If I dont end up keeping the Altitude Reserve I will need to cash out my points in a hurry as I only have 15 days until I'm past the AF refund period.

Thoughts about how to cash out 110K Altitude points ? I don't have any upcoming travel thats not already booked. We would be looking at late 2019 before I will be booking any more travel.
Open to AA giftcards etc. Anything that I can use for a later date.
Does RTR trigger when buying AA giftcards ?

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Premium Card Upgrade or New Card ? Cash Out USB points in a Hurry.

wouldn't option #1 gets you 2 altitude cards? your own, then your fiancee's? Seems 1 too many.

If you keep the card for 2 more months to cash out the points, I thought your AF will be proratedly refunded? If so, you can keep it for now and wait to see what prestige has to offer.

Upgrading CSP to CSR only make sense if you have large spending in the UR system, otherwise, lack of SUB seems unattractive.

Message 2 of 19
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

wouldn't option #1 gets you 2 altitude cards? your own, then your fiancee's? Seems 1 too many.

If you keep the card for 2 more months to cash out the points, I thought your AF will be proratedly refunded? If so, you can keep it for now and wait to see what prestige has to offer.

Upgrading CSP to CSR only make sense if you have large spending in the UR system, otherwise, lack of SUB seems unattractive.

If I went with option #1. I would reapply and once approved for a single account. I would then transfer the points over and close the joint account. 

I’m not sure where you got the idea that one is too many. I have no problem paying the $400 AF. It’s the $75 Additional card fee I don’t want to pay for no reason. 

I dont know if USB prorates AF’s if cancellation occurs after the grace period. Any input on that would be appreciated.

I have 85K UR points right now from CSP so any additional spending would go to growing that balance into a J/F redemption. 

Citi has already announced what changes they are making to the Prestige card. I would be interested in the card and could

make good use of it. Especially the 4th free night even with the cap. 

I leave the country again Jan 22nd. I would need the card before then and I’m not sure Citi will be taking applications before that date. 

Message 3 of 19
imaximous
Valued Contributor

@Shadowfactor wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

If I went with option #1. I would reapply and once approved for a single account. I would then transfer the points over and close the joint account. 

I’m not sure where you got the idea that one is too many. I have no problem paying the $400 AF. It’s the $75 Additional card fee I don’t want to pay for no reason. 

He was saying "one too many" as an expression. As in having 2 cards is kinda overkill -- not the way you took it.

But, I'd argue that having 2 AR cards is actually better than 1 card plus an AU. AUs pay $75 and get no benefit other than charging on the card. So, with a $400 AF minus $325 in travel credits, your net cost is $75 but you get all the benefits of being the primary. If you can justify the 2 AFs, then I'd say having 2 primary cards is the better option. If there's no need for the 2nd card, that's another story.

If I remember correctly from previous posts, your current card is a joint account, right? And you weren't able to remove one party from it?

If I were you, I'd apply for my own individual card, but only if you think you'll benefit from it and use it. No reason to get hit for a HP and new account if you don't even think you'll use the card as much anymore.

Message 4 of 19
imaximous
Valued Contributor

It seems like you're not going to be using AR as much anymore, so adding another account wouldn't be the best way to go.
If you're unhappy, cash out and cancel the card. You can always make travel purchases, use the points with RTR, and "travel plans could change." I think you get the point.
Message 5 of 19
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

@imaximous wrote:

@Shadowfactor wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

He was saying "one too many" as an expression. As in having 2 cards is kinda overkill -- not the way you took it.

But, I'd argue that having 2 AR cards is actually better than 1 card plus an AU. AUs pay $75 and get no benefit other than charging on the card. So, with a $400 AF minus $325 in travel credits, your net cost is $75 but you get all the benefits of being the primary. If you can justify the 2 AFs, then I'd say having 2 primary cards is the better option. If there's no need for the 2nd card, that's another story.

If I remember correctly from previous posts, your current card is a joint account, right? And you weren't able to remove one party from it?

If I were you, I'd apply for my own individual card, but only if you think you'll benefit from it and use it. No reason to get hit for a HP and new account if you don't even think you'll use the card as much anymore.

Having two primary cards is no different then having 1 primary and 1 AU. You don’t get double the benefits like PP etc. Basically one person gets the card benefits and the other pays $75 for charging privileges just like an AU. If I was actually getting something for that $75 I would just pay it and move on.

right now the net AF is $150 for a joint account. For that $150 you only get ONE set of benefits including PP. 

I have 3 PP memberships right now. If I could switch the USB membership to my fiancées name this wouldn’t even be a concern as I would then justify the $75 card fee with the PP access for her. That’s not the case though. 

Asked about removing her. No go. That’s where the reapply as a single account came into play. 

I would use the card enough to justify the AF. But a different card may be better suited at this point which is why I made this topic to hear others opinions on the topic. 

Message 6 of 19
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

Do you have to use the $325 travel credit before you can redeem RTR ? 

I wasnt going to burn USB on the travel credit if I ended up cancelling the card but I do need to be able to redeem my points. 

Message 7 of 19
imaximous
Valued Contributor

@Shadowfactor wrote:

@imaximous wrote:

@Shadowfactor wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Having two primary cards is no different then having 1 primary and 1 AU. You don’t get double the benefits like PP etc. Basically one person gets the card benefits and the other pays $75 for charging privileges just like an AU. If I was actually getting something for that $75 I would just pay it and move on.

right now the net AF is $150 for a joint account. For that $150 you only get ONE set of benefits including PP. 

I have 3 PP memberships right now. If I could switch the USB membership to my fiancées name this wouldn’t even be a concern as I would then justify the $75 card fee with the PP access for her. That’s not the case though. 

Asked about removing her. No go. That’s where the reapply as a single account came into play. 

I would use the card enough to justify the AF. But a different card may be better suited at this point which is why I made this topic to hear others opinions on the topic. 

Now I realize that. You're stuck in a more unique situation with a joint account. I meant that 2 separate primary accounts is better than 1 plus an AU. If my DW got her own AR, she'd get her own set of benefits for the same $75 net fee as being an AU attached to my card but she'd get nothing for it. You're obviously in a different situation. 

I'd seriously just cancel that account. You're paying an additional $75 for no reason.

Message 8 of 19
imaximous
Valued Contributor

@Shadowfactor wrote:

I wasnt going to burn USB on the travel credit if I ended up cancelling the card but I do need to be able to redeem my points. 

That I don't know. I've only got the card for a year, so when my $325 credit kicked in, I had no points to redeem plus RTR didn't exist. I used my credit the week after I got the card.

Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Shadowfactor wrote:

If you book through their portal with points, I can't imagine they will give you that 325 credit. Did you try it last year?

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.