cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Future options regarding Altitude Reserve

tag
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Premium Card Upgrade or New Card ? Cash Out USB points in a Hurry.

Just to add, I wouldn't bank on Prestige to materialize in the next couple days, given that at the moment, the rumor mill predicts it'll be launched at the end of the month. One never knows, though.

So, scratch that option out (unless it officially launches within 48 hours).
Message 11 of 19
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Shadowfactor wrote:

Do you have to use the $325 travel credit before you can redeem RTR ? 

I wasnt going to burn USB on the travel credit if I ended up cancelling the card but I do need to be able to redeem my points. 

If you book through their portal with points, I can't imagine they will give you that 325 credit. Did you try it last year?

I don’t have any further travel that needs booked until  at least July. 

I need something that I can cancel so RTR is a must as they don’t reverse the RTR credit if you cancel it. 

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 12 of 19
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

Havent decided if I'm going to reopen the Altitude under just my name yet. Will probably cancel and wait for Prestige anouncement before deciding what to do.

Some DP's regarding RTR since I just cashed out all my points.

You will get the RTR message even if you haven't used the travel credit.

Bought a single AA giftcard for $1500. This triggered RTR and I redeemed the points

then proceeded to buy a $137 AA giftcard for the rest of my points.

Will be leaving the travel credit alone as I dont really want to burn USB for the $325 I bank with them in case I ever want to apply for future products.

Message 13 of 19
NRB525
Super Contributor

My experience is that both the Travel Credit and RTR can be covering the same transaction.

The method of applying them, however, is to have charges on the account since these redemptions work as a payment reducer.
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Shadowfactor wrote:

Havent decided if I'm going to reopen the Altitude under just my name yet. Will probably cancel and wait for Prestige anouncement before deciding what to do.

Bought a single AA giftcard for $1500. This triggered RTR and I redeemed the points

Will be leaving the travel credit alone as I dont really want to burn USB for the $325 I bank with them in case I ever want to apply for future products.

Thanks for the data points. Good to know you can liquidate for a gift card to get the full value of the points. I hope they do not have any issues with the gift card purchase

Message 15 of 19
jdbkiang
Established Contributor

@Shadowfactor wrote:

Dang, $1500 blind? Takes some balls.

[2/2019]
Message 16 of 19
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

I did some reading but yes it was a leap of faith.

Even if it didn’t work out. I still would have used the GC in the semi-near future.

Update:
Ended up deciding on the CSR after crunching the numbers and reevaluating my points statergy. Had my fiancée take a HP from Chase for a $6500 CLI. Bumped the CSP over the 10K limit and did the PC.

Message 17 of 19
imaximous
Valued Contributor

@Shadowfactor wrote:

Now you'll have another ~5,000 points coming up from the gift card purchases Smiley Very Happy 

Message 18 of 19
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

I was thinking about that actually.

If I close the account before the statement ends (which I have to due to 30 day AF policy ) any idea what happens to those points ?

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.