Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GECRB card switch

tag
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Re: GECRB card switch

I don't use my Chevron card because my Wmt Discover gives me .15 off per gallon, which is better than that tiny .10 off a gallon.

Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 11 of 16
distantarray
Established Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:

I don't use my Chevron card because my Wmt Discover gives me .15 off per gallon, which is better than that tiny .10 off a gallon.

don't you have a better card for gas? you have a scrap ton Smiley Tongue

with over 100k in credit cards I would think you would have something in there

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 12 of 16
kimmiller112
Frequent Contributor

I have a GE Ashley Furniture store card.  I bought a living room set and financed it because they were offering 0% financing.  I paid it off in 3 months and called them to see if I could close this account and have the CL transfered to another card that I would use more often.  They told me they couldn't do that but I was more than welcome to apply for whatever card I wanted.  I left the account open just in case I need to buy furniture in the future.

Barclays USAir World MC $8300 - DCU $7500 - USAA World MC $7000 - PayPal Extras MC (GE) $5500 - Chase Saphire Preferred $5000 - Discover It $6000 - Barclays Sallie May $2700 - Chase Freedom $1000 - Capital One $8500 (business) - store cards ranging from $500-$9500
Message 13 of 16
bschmidt
Established Member

I started out with a GECRB card from Abt (Appliance and Electronics store in Chicago) about 18 months ago.  Used it to buy appliances and paid off the balance a while back.  I started with a $2k credit line and they bumped it up to $4k after a few months.  The account is still open.  Last night I applied for an Amazon store card, also GECRB, and was approved for $1500.  I'm not planning on using it right away, but I'm probably going to need to buy a new TV at some point in the not too distant future and wanted to have it on hand before then.  I figured they probably used my payment history from the other card as a factor, but I know they did a hard pull from TU as well.  My TU was 705 last time I checked.  I get what people say about just going for a regular CC, but the benefit of these store cards is the deferred interest.  I bought $1000 of appliances, paid it off over 6 months, and paid nothing in interest.  Can't do that with Chase unless you're on a promo.

Message 14 of 16
ernieadiaz

@kimmiller112 wrote:

I have a GE Ashley Furniture store card.  I bought a living room set and financed it because they were offering 0% financing.  I paid it off in 3 months and called them to see if I could close this account and have the CL transfered to another card that I would use more often.  They told me they couldn't do that but I was more than welcome to apply for whatever card I wanted.  I left the account open just in case I need to buy furniture in the future.

Yeah, I ended up calling them and they told me the same thing. I'd have to close the account and apply for another one. Smiley Sad

Message 15 of 16
ernieadiaz

@bschmidt wrote:

I started out with a GECRB card from Abt (Appliance and Electronics store in Chicago) about 18 months ago.  Used it to buy appliances and paid off the balance a while back.  I started with a $2k credit line and they bumped it up to $4k after a few months.  The account is still open.  Last night I applied for an Amazon store card, also GECRB, and was approved for $1500.  I'm not planning on using it right away, but I'm probably going to need to buy a new TV at some point in the not too distant future and wanted to have it on hand before then.  I figured they probably used my payment history from the other card as a factor, but I know they did a hard pull from TU as well.  My TU was 705 last time I checked.  I get what people say about just going for a regular CC, but the benefit of these store cards is the deferred interest.  I bought $1000 of appliances, paid it off over 6 months, and paid nothing in interest.  Can't do that with Chase unless you're on a promo.

Very true. The Brandsmart card I have with them has the benefit of deferred interest on large purchases. CC's don't have that past the first year or so. But yeah, I guess I'll have to leave mine open too and avoid the hard inquiry to open another account. Smiley Indifferent

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.