Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GECRB is Weird...Denied but approved?

tag
goosedog
Regular Contributor

GECRB is Weird...Denied but approved?

A week ago, i applied for a GE Walmart card. The online application told me I was denied for the card (i only applied for the store card). I had also applied for Banana REP and denied instantly. I had also applied for TJMAX and The GAP cards but got the 7-10 days letters..blah blah (figured it was because of my fraud alert on my CR)

I called Walmart just now for the heck of it to see why i was denied (playing dumb)..the CSR said, I have to get you over to our fraud department (my heart sank). I heard from people on here GE is known to close all your accounts if you apply for too manry cards. Which is what I did about 2 weeks ago with the JC PENNY (Approved), Chevron (approved), Old Navy (approved). I figured they were gonna close my accounts..

then it happened.

Fraud department got on the phone and asked me some questions...Congrats, you are approved for 500 store credit card.

WHAT???? Online it told me I was denied.

I asked her to check my banana republic app...a couple min later, asked me if i was ok with the  charge card instead of the VISA one.. i said yes.

Approved again....im thinking, ok this is weird. I was almost tempted to ask her for the TJ MAX and GAP apps but i didn't wanna flag myself.

I called back, asked a CSR about my 2 apps with TJ and GAP hoping I would get transferred again, she said sorry sir, your apps were denied.

So....if you have been denied by WALMART, i would strongly advise to call them and just ask.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
boomhower
Valued Contributor

Re: GECRB is Weird...Denied but approved?

Congrats on the approvals!  It sounds like you had some ID verification issues on the original apps were the reasons for denial and they just needed to complete the ID steps.  Call them when you get the card and ask for double the CL, you'll get it. 

Message 2 of 11
Chrys12

If you don't mind me asking what does your score look like? Any collections?
Message 3 of 11
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

You will have to update us on your current TU score.  I would also try calling into credit solutions about your other 2 denied apps... TJmax is usually easier than Banana and if you got Banana who cares about Gap... you can use at both and Old Navy!!

Congrats!

Message 4 of 11
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@goosedog wrote:

A week ago, i applied for a GE Walmart card. The online application told me I was denied for the card (i only applied for the store card). I had also applied for Banana REP and denied instantly. I had also applied for TJMAX and The GAP cards but got the 7-10 days letters..blah blah (figured it was because of my fraud alert on my CR)

I called Walmart just now for the heck of it to see why i was denied (playing dumb)..the CSR said, I have to get you over to our fraud department (my heart sank). I heard from people on here GE is known to close all your accounts if you apply for too manry cards. Which is what I did about 2 weeks ago with the JC PENNY (Approved), Chevron (approved), Old Navy (approved). I figured they were gonna close my accounts..

then it happened.

Fraud department got on the phone and asked me some questions...Congrats, you are approved for 500 store credit card.

I asked her to check my banana republic app...a couple min later, asked me if i was ok with the  charge card instead of the VISA one.. i said yes.

Approved again....im thinking, ok this is weird. I was almost tempted to ask her for the TJ MAX and GAP apps but i didn't wanna flag myself.

I called back, asked a CSR about my 2 apps with TJ and GAP hoping I would get transferred again, she said sorry sir, your apps were denied.

So....if you have been denied by WALMART, i would strongly advise to call them and just ask.

CONGRATS!!! Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 5 of 11
myjourney
Super Contributor

@goosedog wrote:

then it happened.

Congrats 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 6 of 11
goosedog
Regular Contributor

credit karma said 579, i haven't pulled my actual scoeres but i did the EQ credit monitoring thing for 30 free days it said my FICO was 613. . i know my EX score is/was 597 a few days ago. i would say with the 16 apps i put in recently im somewhere between 575-590 at the moment.

i have a BK in 2005, 10 neg items which all should drop off by 5/2015 at the same time all my credit inquries will have dropped off. i have student loans in deferrment and a car loan I've made all payments on time for a year.

hope that helps
Message 7 of 11
dadO3

First......CONGRATS!!!

Now I have to vent.....

I just recently applied for a Walmart (3rd time trying) & a JCP card (2nd time trying) & was denied on both again!!! The first time I can understand because my scores were low (below 550), but this time when I applied my lowest score was 629 (FICO not FAKO)!!!!!! What gives GECRB?!?! I had a late payment 12 months ago but all 6 accounts has been on time since (2 CapOne-$750, $500)(CreditOne-$300)(Barclays-$500)(Kohl's-$300)(Student Loans-$9800). ALL utilization is below 20% & most of the time I pay in full when the bill comes!

Sorry just want some GECRB love like everyone else......

Jan13 SCORES - EX=529, EQ=564, TU=548      Mar13 FICO SCORES - EX=649, EQ=629, TU=636

Message 8 of 11
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@dadO3 wrote:

First......CONGRATS!!!

Now I have to vent.....

I just recently applied for a Walmart (3rd time trying) & a JCP card (2nd time trying) & was denied on both again!!! The first time I can understand because my scores were low (below 550), but this time when I applied my lowest score was 629 (FICO not FAKO)!!!!!! What gives GECRB?!?! I had a late payment 12 months ago but all 6 accounts has been on time since (2 CapOne-$750, $500)(CreditOne-$300)(Barclays-$500)(Kohl's-$300)(Student Loans-$9800). ALL utilization is below 20% & most of the time I pay in full when the bill comes!

Sorry just want some GECRB love like everyone else......

Jan13 SCORES - EX=529, EQ=564, TU=548      Mar13 FICO SCORES - EX=649, EQ=629, TU=636

I'd say work on clearing baddies and let those INQs age off.  GE cards all pull TU

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 9 of 11
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@goosedog wrote:

then it happened.

Congrats on the approvals!

Personally, I think applying for Old Navy, Gap, and BR was redundant, since you can use any one of their store cards at any of those stores and the rewards all accrue at all of the stores.   So I wouldn't even worry about your Gap denial.

I'd say wait at least 6 months, maybe even a year before going for any more GE apps.  You need to let those TU INQs age off and then you might have increased success.

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.