cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GNC Manager demanded to see my ID in order to make a purchase today with my VISA.

tag
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

Re: GNC Manager demanded to see my ID in order to make a purchase today with my VISA.

@Anonymous wrote:

@ChistineNJ wrote:

maybe im sensitive as well but id call, ive bought items from them before and i have not been Id. and especially if the person before you had not been id

Yeah im going to think about it may call GNC corporate and Visa tomorrow. 

I used to be a cashier in retail, and i never carded anyone, nor was there ever a reason to. 

In my mind i can only see it as a form of discrimination. Maybe i didnt look like someone who would use a credit card. Smiley Mad

@Creditfan1234 wrote:

This happened to me at a merchant once and it took me for suprise. I like you haven't been asked for ID and it was a very small amount. The cashier told me it was because i hadnt signed my card on the back. Odd.

At first i quickly assumed it was this also when i walked away, but i the terminal requires you to swipe yourself, so the manager never really saw or touched my card. 

There is a difference in liability in fraud (or was, maybe that's gone Oct 1) that depends on whether the card was swiped by a representative or if it was through a terminal. I used to work at U-Haul and that was why they had the customer swipe their card.

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 11 of 65
yfan
Valued Contributor

Re: GNC Manager demanded to see my ID in order to make a purchase today with my VISA.

@longtime_lurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Lots of places ask for ID now. Staples, for example, asks every time I shop there. It isn't a big deal. And I'm a 59 year old white guy.

Doesn't make it right. Why does Staples need to see my ID? The whole idea behind signature verification is for them to compare the signature on the back of the card with the signature on the receipt. This is exactly why "SEE ID" is not a valid signature on the back of the card.

Except that not every network prohibits it. Both Amex and Discover allow requiring ID, and Visa and Mastercard allow for asking for ID although they prohibit requiring one for purchase (link). In the end, the OP's transaction was processed without an ID, indicating that he was in fact NOT required to present ID. Technically, GNC didn't break any rules here.

Message 12 of 65
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@ChistineNJ wrote:

maybe im sensitive as well but id call, ive bought items from them before and i have not been Id. and especially if the person before you had not been id

Yeah im going to think about it may call GNC corporate and Visa tomorrow. 

I used to be a cashier in retail, and i never carded anyone, nor was there ever a reason to. 

In my mind i can only see it as a form of discrimination. Maybe i didnt look like someone who would use a credit card. Smiley Mad

@Creditfan1234 wrote:

This happened to me at a merchant once and it took me for suprise. I like you haven't been asked for ID and it was a very small amount. The cashier told me it was because i hadnt signed my card on the back. Odd.

At first i quickly assumed it was this also when i walked away, but i the terminal requires you to swipe yourself, so the manager never really saw or touched my card. 

There is only one place I (occasionally) shop where this happens on a regular basis... and it's Wal-Mart.  Every single time you go through the line with a cashier, even for a $5 sale, they make you pull out your ID, and they actually take the time to 'study' it to make sure the name is an exact match (my name is lengthy and a bit unusual, so this always takes at least a few seconds). 

It's not the end of the world, but what really annoys me is that if I go through the self-checkout, just a few feet away, no ID is required of anybody!  For the life of me I cannot figure out the logic in this, since of course anybody actually using a stolen card would simply go through the self-checkout and avoid the problem altogether.  As annoying as it is I try to remember it's not the cashier's fault; they're simply doing what the store management tells them to do.  I guess if it allows the management to sleep better at night a few seconds out of my day isn't that big of a deal. 

For what it's worth, I'm a 40-ish white guy, so I don't think it's a racial thing, at least in my case.  Honestly, I would bristle a bit myself if I had shopped somewhere multiple times and suddenly I was being told of this new 'policy'.  Even at Wal-Mart where I've gotten used to it, it makes me feel as if they think I'm a criminal, and nobody likes that feeling, especially when you just want to pay for your paper towels.

Message 13 of 65
Gmood1
Super Contributor

I've been asked more times than I could possibly remember for ID. Lol
So much so I really don't think much about it anymore. Doesn't bother me though.
I'm sure some folks mean no harm by it. I can normally tell when they're probing for something.
Message 14 of 65
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

@yfan wrote:

@longtime_lurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Lots of places ask for ID now. Staples, for example, asks every time I shop there. It isn't a big deal. And I'm a 59 year old white guy.

Doesn't make it right. Why does Staples need to see my ID? The whole idea behind signature verification is for them to compare the signature on the back of the card with the signature on the receipt. This is exactly why "SEE ID" is not a valid signature on the back of the card.

Except that not every network prohibits it. Both Amex and Discover allow requiring ID, and Visa and Mastercard allow for asking for ID although they prohibit requiring one for purchase (link). In the end, the OP's transaction was processed without an ID, indicating that he was in fact NOT required to present ID. Technically, GNC didn't break any rules here.

Thanks for the link.

Still, why would OP be asked for an ID 1) Now after several other purchases there and 2) not uniformly apply this policy to all customers. 

I would still call GNC.

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 15 of 65
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtime_lurker wrote:

@yfan wrote:

@longtime_lurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the link.

Still, why would OP be asked for an ID 1) Now after several other purchases there and 2) not uniformly apply this policy to all customers. 

I would still call GNC.

Yeah, the outlined scenario does smell. Particularly the part about the manager jumping in and taking over the transaction.

Message 16 of 65
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Gmood1 wrote:
I've been asked more times than I could possibly remember for ID. Lol
So much so I really don't think much about it anymore. Doesn't bother me though.
I'm sure some folks mean no harm by it. I can normally tell when they're probing for something.

It seems to related to geography.

The places I go where I have been asked for ID it seems like most stores in that area will be asking for it, while where I live now it's only one or two places I've shopped in the whole city.  Where my parents live in a suburban area of another state, unless you're making a major purchase (appliance, etc) asking for ID is nearly unheard of (even then you're probably still not asked)... they literally swipe-and-go everywhere they shop.

I've learned to just 'roll with it'.  Smiley Wink

Message 17 of 65
Jansroom726
Regular Contributor

I use to not really care when a cashier would ask to see my ID, because I originally thought it was harmless. If anything, I thought it was adding protection to the purchase.

However, I then thought about it and now I refuse showing ID because not only am I giving my credit card details to someone, but they are also getting all of my billing info. (Address, name, birthday, etc). Not to say that someone is able to write it all down, but technically they are being given access to it.

Simply put, I don't present my ID, simply because it's opening the door to possible future fraud. I usually say something like "Oh, I signed the back" - and if that still won't do the trick, I will say "It's not required as per your merchant agreement, you can gladly call if you disagree."

I've only really had to debate it about 2 times.

25 years old. Scores around 740. Income = 45K. Chase Car Loan @ 2.4%, AAOA = 2 years. Total Personal CL = 120k.
Message 18 of 65
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm an older white guy as well and the OP should definitely call.  If his facts given are accurate (no reason to believe they aren't) then it's pretty obvious to me that he was singled out . GNC Corporate should be called  more so than Visa.

Message 19 of 65
Anomalous
Senior Contributor

Yeah, I would've felt some type of way also if I was required to show ID and previous customers were omitted.

Other than big ticket transactions, the only time I seem to get asked for my ID is at the mall or shopping outlets. Oh, and the occasional visit to a red dot location if I'm paying by credit.

Keep both your credit and your body in top shape!

Message 20 of 65
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.