cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GNC Manager demanded to see my ID in order to make a purchase today with my VISA.

tag
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

Re: GNC Manager demanded to see my ID in order to make a purchase today with my VISA.

Damn OP I would def call GNC and Visa about this. Hopefully you hear some appologies after the call. Keep us updated

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 21 of 65
yfan
Valued Contributor

Re: GNC Manager demanded to see my ID in order to make a purchase today with my VISA.

@Jansroom726 wrote:

I use to not really care when a cashier would ask to see my ID, because I originally thought it was harmless. If anything, I thought it was adding protection to the purchase.

However, I then thought about it and now I refuse showing ID because not only am I giving my credit card details to someone, but they are also getting all of my billing info. (Address, name, birthday, etc). Not to say that someone is able to write it all down, but technically they are being given access to it.

The privacy aspect of it is interesting. To explore that issue, what would someone concerned about privacy in this way do when ordering an alcoholic beverage at a restaurant or bar, or buying alcohol or tobacco at a merchant? Clearly, merchants in those cases would not only be justified in asking for ID but are for the most part required to do so, regardless of method of payment. Same could apply to picking up a prescription at a pharmacy. These are all private businesses wanting to see our IDs in order to conduct business. Sure, these are purchases of controlled substances, but that doesn't lessen the privacy implications. So I'm curious, other than the fact that Visa and MC agreements prohibit requiring ID (though they do not prohibit asking for one), in privacy terms, what's the difference here?

Message 22 of 65
mxp114
Valued Contributor

@yfan wrote:

@longtime_lurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Lots of places ask for ID now. Staples, for example, asks every time I shop there. It isn't a big deal. And I'm a 59 year old white guy.

Doesn't make it right. Why does Staples need to see my ID? The whole idea behind signature verification is for them to compare the signature on the back of the card with the signature on the receipt. This is exactly why "SEE ID" is not a valid signature on the back of the card.

Except that not every network prohibits it. Both Amex and Discover allow requiring ID, and Visa and Mastercard allow for asking for ID although they prohibit requiring one for purchase (link). In the end, the OP's transaction was processed without an ID, indicating that he was in fact NOT required to present ID. Technically, GNC didn't break any rules here.

True, American Express and Discover allow ID as a condition of the sale but only if this rule is equally applied to other payment networks. Since Visa and MasterCard preclude ID as a prerequisite for a transaction, effectively any merchant that accepts Visa and/or MasterCard cannot condition American Express or Discover transaction to submitting ID.

Message 23 of 65
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've only been asked for an ID once before, at a restaurunt which did this for every patron. I know that they are not supposed to do this, but I don't really want to start anything when I'm not being targeted personally. Definitely sounds like there could have been some targeting, which isn't okay.

Also wanted to add that the your cards really should be signed and technically aren't valid without a signature. Visa specifically says in their merchant policies that customers whose cards have "see ID" should have their IDs checked and be asked to sign the card before the transaction is processed. But obviously, merchants don't know about these rules so I doubt they will follow that if they don't follow other rules.

Message 24 of 65
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

@yfan wrote:

@Jansroom726 wrote:

I use to not really care when a cashier would ask to see my ID, because I originally thought it was harmless. If anything, I thought it was adding protection to the purchase.

However, I then thought about it and now I refuse showing ID because not only am I giving my credit card details to someone, but they are also getting all of my billing info. (Address, name, birthday, etc). Not to say that someone is able to write it all down, but technically they are being given access to it.

The privacy aspect of it is interesting. To explore that issue, what would someone concerned about privacy in this way do when ordering an alcoholic beverage at a restaurant or bar, or buying alcohol or tobacco at a merchant? Clearly, merchants in those cases would not only be justified in asking for ID but are for the most part required to do so, regardless of method of payment. Same could apply to picking up a prescription at a pharmacy. These are all private businesses wanting to see our IDs in order to conduct business. Sure, these are purchases of controlled substances, but that doesn't lessen the privacy implications. So I'm curious, other than the fact that Visa and MC agreements prohibit requiring ID (though they do not prohibit asking for one), in privacy terms, what's the difference here?

Alcohol and tabocco are age restricted items and it's govern by our lovely government. 

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 25 of 65
Jansroom726
Regular Contributor

@yfan wrote:

@Jansroom726 wrote:

In these instances where asking for an ID is required by the business for such purchases, I will provide it. But yes, the issue of privacy is certainly questionable.

25 years old. Scores around 740. Income = 45K. Chase Car Loan @ 2.4%, AAOA = 2 years. Total Personal CL = 120k.
Message 26 of 65
icyhot
Valued Contributor

The ONLY time I ever get asked for ID is when I'm at the beauty supply store, no matter what area. I guess they have had just extremely high amounts of credit card fraud. I worked in retail for a year and never asked for ID. It could be an old man using a card and the name would pop up as "Samantha Lewis" and I wouldn't bat an eye. I didn't care. Lol. But yes OP I would call as well. And its good to know that Visa and MC prohibit requiring asking for ID as a condition for purchase, but I really don't like giving my ID at beauty supply stores to begin with. I know its not a racial thing......but its like....for what.

Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 27 of 65
Anonymous
Not applicable

Most people are probably pretty ignorant to actual policies regarding Ids and credit cards and when someone refuses to show them an id they either a) go on a power trip and deny the sale b) suspect you of fraud because who cares if they check your id if it's actually you or c) say f it I get paid 7.50/hr and couldn't really care less who's card it is

I get carded randomly and really don't care, it is a bit odd because I've put $5k with no Id request and have put $10 with id request...100% not worth my time to argue or call someone just to have them apologize to me, I really don't care

Fraud protection is a huge benefit to credit cards and I have had to use it probably 4-5 times with zero hassle on my part

Message 28 of 65
stengiz
Regular Contributor

I would have felt the same way if i were singled out like you did. my question is you mentioned that visa and mastercard prohibits the merchant from asking an id. i run a small restaurant in the last 5 plus years we were hit by chargebacks twice. in each  instance money is taken out of my account instantly even before i got a charge back notice. i dug out the signed slip and sent it to payment processor. we don't ask for id anyways but if i were to ask for an id i am prohibited from doing so? to me it is unfair that the burden is on the merchant . how hard it is to forge a signature? sometimes it is only cursive first and last name. the only way to verify is to ask an id. and if there is a chargeback i am supoosed to eat it.

big companies can absorb this cost . it is a trade off for speed. I wish they implemented chip and pin instead of chip and signature.

last app July 13 2016
Message 29 of 65
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Companies have to skate a thin line. If nobody ever cards anyone, fraud is much less likely to be detected, and you'd be annoyed if they didn't catch someone else using your card, right?

So if for whatever reason the merchant wants to ID you to verify that it is indeed your card, what's the big deal? It takes all of 2 seconds to show your ID and move on with your day. I'm not saying whether it was right or wrong to card you in this case, it may not have been justified, but I don't know what filing a complaint will do...they're just going to say "sorry" and that's about it.

Sadly fraudsters and scammers ruin things for everyone and force retailers to be hypersensitive. I can understand privacy concerns but the sad fact is no one has privacy anymore. Do you not think the gov can see all your phone calls? Emails? Texts? Your smartphone knows where you are all the time, and is sending data to google or apple or whoever. The point is that privacy is pretty much gone no matter what thanks to the Internet and all things connected to it.

Message 30 of 65
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.