tag
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Gamestop is offering a "Credit card" lol

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@B335is wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@B335is wrote:
Why do you think only teens would be interested in this? I know a lot of people well into their30's that shop atGamestop.

Well Think which demographic shops there the most? The 30 year olds or the Tweens and Teens.

I think you're generalizing but I've found most 18-22 year olds to be very cautious with credit - more so than I was at that age. My TJX card has the same APR. 

Oh I am generalizing and a lot of 18-22 year olds are cautious. I am 23 and know what I am doing for the most part.   But my brother who is 21 has no clue how it works and I am helping him understand credit cards. I just feel they are trying to prey on those 18 year olds that have no clue how it works and $15 sounds like a decent deal for them.

Maybe it is just my hatred of Gamestop already that is clouding my judgement 

Yeah I can see where you're coming from. Unfortunately most people don't do their due diligence beforehand. I just lumped it into another store card with crazy APR. 

Message 11 of 45
Callandra
Valued Contributor

Are you all referring to this: https://www.gamestop.com/PowerUpRewards/Home/Benefits

If so, it looks like the $15 a year fee does come with some other benefits that might interest big Gamestop shoppers -- 10% bonus on purchases, 10% off on used games, etc. I don't think these rewards are any worse than some store cards I've seen (like the ones that have none, ie- Abercrombie & Fitch). I think this card is a good idea for 18-22 year olds who shop at Gamestop a lot and it could help build their credit. 

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 12 of 45
taxi818
Super Contributor

A teen cannot get credit card. Must be 18 or older. Only can be au at that age. You are talking about the 40 year olds that act like teens. 

Message 13 of 45
taxi818
Super Contributor

Why do you think only teens would be interested in this? I know a lot of people well into their 30's that shop at Gamestop.

bingo. 

Message 14 of 45
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@Callandra wrote:

Are you all referring to this: https://www.gamestop.com/PowerUpRewards/Home/Benefits

If so, it looks like the $15 a year fee does come with some other benefits that might interest big Gamestop shoppers -- 10% bonus on purchases, 10% off on used games, etc. I don't think these rewards are any worse than some store cards I've seen (like the ones that have none, ie- Abercrombie & Fitch). I think this card is a good idea for 18-22 year olds who shop at Gamestop a lot and it could help build their credit. 

Naa that is just the loyalty card they have comes with the Free magazine ( Or you get the magazine and this free loyalty card).   This card isn't announced yet and is rumored to be out soon.

Personally I don't see any good that could come out of this card and see it as a trap for the misinformed.

http://youtu.be/TMd0hIH3oo4?list=UUKy1dAqELo0zrOtPkf0eTMw

this video sums it up

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 15 of 45
Phizzle
New Contributor

While I don't disagree with you, I feel this is a silly thread. How many MILLIONS of teens just hitting credit age rub through Kohls and Macy's or Old Navy and fall victim to the "15% off your purchase".

While the terms are not the greatest, there are cards that are much worse.

BTW I am 28 and own and Xbox One with headsets and customer controllers and all. My kids also have a Wii U. Working professional in IT with great credit. You're missing the mark here. The 18-22 group Are the minority in gaming. I guarantee there are more gamers in my age range or in the age range of having their games bought for them.

Just sayin.
Message 16 of 45
DarkMoonLily
Frequent Contributor

@Phizzle wrote:
While I don't disagree with you, I feel this is a silly thread. How many MILLIONS of teens just hitting credit age rub through Kohls and Macy's or Old Navy and fall victim to the "15% off your purchase".

While the terms are not the greatest, there are cards that are much worse.

BTW I am 28 and own and Xbox One with headsets and customer controllers and all. My kids also have a Wii U. Working professional in IT with great credit. You're missing the mark here. The 18-22 group Are the minority in gaming. I guarantee there are more gamers in my age range or in the age range of having their games bought for them.

Just sayin.

Yep. ^

2019 Goals: Garden and Clean up Credit Reports!!!
2020 Goals: Get a Secured Card and Auto Loan.
Message 17 of 45
PandiferBear
Frequent Contributor

I would say that I am sorry for what I am about to say, but I am not.  ***woman preparing to reveal her age** 

I am a happy 33-yr-old woman that loves to play some games (oh, Final Fantasy, how I heart you).  AND I kicked the tail out of a half marathon recently,  You can love some games in your 30s, and still have fun otherwise.  Sorry, close to my heart - had to weigh in on this. 

On the other side, NO -- I would not get this card, and I really hope it does not lead teens the wrong way. I think that it potentially could, depending on what the requirements are, given that we could be largely dealing with teens who have not fully come to understand their potential abilities and also potential liabilities.  i know better, but I am in a subset.

EX 793 (06/29/16) TU 787 (07/03/16) EQ 711 (06/30/16) Goal: 780 across the board
Amex Everyday: $25,000 | Venture: $15,000 | Chase Hyatt: $12,000 | Discover IT: $11,700 | Barclay Ring $7,500 | Quicksilver: $7,750 | CareCredit: $5,000 | Amazon Synch: $5,000
Message 18 of 45
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@PandiferBear wrote:

I would say that I am sorry for what I am about to say, but I am not.  ***woman preparing to reveal her age** 

I am a happy 33-yr-old woman that loves to play some games (oh, Final Fantasy, how I heart you).  AND I kicked the tail out of a half marathon recently,  You can love some games in your 30s, and still have fun otherwise.  Sorry, close to my heart - had to weigh in on this. 

On the other side, NO -- I would not get this card, and I really hope it does not lead teens the wrong way. I think that it potentially could, depending on what the requirements are, given that we could be largely dealing with teens who have not fully come to understand their potential abilities and also potential liabilities.  i know better, but I am in a subset.

I love Final Fantasy ... Been playing FF 14 on my PS4 Smiley Very Happy

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 19 of 45
PandiferBear
Frequent Contributor

So have not gone there yet, but soon.....very soon.  Right now I am reliving the FFX/FFX2 remaster.  YUM!

EX 793 (06/29/16) TU 787 (07/03/16) EQ 711 (06/30/16) Goal: 780 across the board
Amex Everyday: $25,000 | Venture: $15,000 | Chase Hyatt: $12,000 | Discover IT: $11,700 | Barclay Ring $7,500 | Quicksilver: $7,750 | CareCredit: $5,000 | Amazon Synch: $5,000
Message 20 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.