Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Garden Club Meeting - November 2012

tag
germaine47
Frequent Contributor

Re: Garden Club Meeting - November 2012

Well, why is it so hard to stay in the Garden?  I am going to give it the old college try and stay in the Garden until May 2013 and if Chase haven't auto CLI me then I will ask.  I will carefully take care of my little sprouts with care and deligence. Good Luck EveryOne. 

Fico September 2012; TU 681, EX 674, EQ 652
Fako October 2012: TU 706, EX 641,
Message 131 of 287
cjd
Valued Member

Stil in the garden. Will get my silver spade in two weeks. Trying really hard not to app for the Walmart card because I want my baddies to go away so that I can get a really good CL, although i really just want it for the TU score. The itch had gone away until a few days ago when SW showed an increase.

Starting Score: April 2012 EQ 624
Current Score: Feb 2015 EQ 751
Goal Score: New Goal: 775!!

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge No Apps for the foreseeable future.

Message 132 of 287
CribDuchess
Established Contributor

I’m excited to finally be sporting a bronze spade.  I reached one month app-free on November 1st.  My last app was for the Amex Costco TE card on October 1st.  My internal score with Amex must be pretty good now as I received their best terms and did not receive my EX Fico score (boo!).  Really wish I lived in PA so I could join PSECU and get my EX Fico monthly.  I checked my two FICO scores here at MyFICO today and I am now officially in the “FICO high achievers” club (yayyyy!) as my EQ is 761 and my TU is 790.

I managed to get a SP CLI to $8,000 (an increase of $6,700) on my Cap One Plat Visa.  Yes, I know it’s Cap One, but it does have a decent interest rate of 12.14%, should I need it, that is.  I’ve had the card for almost 9 years and now that the credit limit is respectable, I’ll keep it around.

Looking forward to trying for a 3x CLI on my Amex Optima card later this month.  Trying to keep that in my mind while trying not to app for a Walmart card.  I don’t need a Walmart card, but it is so tempting to get that free TU Fico score every month.  Plus, I think they pull TU and I have no inquiries on TU and it’s virtually spotless except for 1 30-day late payment.

I must resist temptation!

FICOs: TU08 842 EQ08 850 EX08 850

My Wallet: Amex Gold NPSL; Amex Optima Platinum $25K; Amex BCE $12K; Apple Card $20K; BofA Travel Rewards Visa Sig $67.6K; Cap1 Quicksilver Visa Sig $10K; CSP $28.2K; Chase Freedom $13K; Chase Freedom Unlimited $21.4K; Citi Costco Visa $19.3K; Citi Double Cash $13.5K; Citi Simplicity Visa $23.3K; Discover IT $50K; Fidelity Visa $25K; NFCU Flagship Visa Sig $40K; NFCU More Rewards Amex $30K; PenFed Plat Rewards Visa Sig $50K; Sears MC $10.1K; US Bank Altitude Go Visa Sig $20K; US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig $26K; Wells Fargo Rewards Visa Sig $14K
Message 133 of 287
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@germaine47 wrote:

Well, why is it so hard to stay in the Garden?  I am going to give it the old college try and stay in the Garden until May 2013 and if Chase haven't auto CLI me then I will ask.  I will carefully take care of my little sprouts with care and deligence. Good Luck EveryOne. 

Generally people take an interest in making progress once they've decided to start fixing something, whether it be their credit report, or something like creating a credit card portfolio.  Gardening requires sitting on one's hands, which is tough for many people (myself included), and even worse, this forum is basically akin to someone trying to get sober while constantly sitting in bars.

It's not an easy road to walk being a member of this forum, and frequenting this board in particular, without seeing the glitter, glamour, and bright lights of the various approval threads and not be distracted; honestly I have complete respect for anyone who maintains an active membership on this forum and manages to stay "sober" in this metaphorical case. 

        
Message 134 of 287
BlueNightStar
Regular Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@germaine47 wrote:

Generally people take an interest in making progress once they've decided to start fixing something, whether it be their credit report, or something like creating a credit card portfolio.  Gardening requires sitting on one's hands, which is tough for many people (myself included), and even worse, this forum is basically akin to someone trying to get sober while constantly sitting in bars.

It's not an easy road to walk being a member of this forum, and frequenting this board in particular, without seeing the glitter, glamour, and bright lights of the various approval threads and not be distracted; honestly I have complete respect for anyone who maintains an active membership on this forum and manages to stay "sober" in this metaphorical case. 

This was true for me for about the first year or so of reading here. Now that I've been around and read all the other sobering posts in addition to the approval posts, I've come to feel differently. There are many informative posts about various card's T&Cs that have made me realize a once shiny want card is no longer appealing to me. It also helps that I have doubled my credit lines (not saying much since I started so low but. . .) and am now coming to the conclusion that I do not have an endless source of money and the amount that will go on these cards is finite. Nothing scares me more than going back to where I started my journey with crushing CC debt.

I realized I don't like gift cards, travel or shopping as rewards and prefer straight cash back at a a 1:1 ratio. That narrows my choices considerably and keeps the app itch at bay. I guess my point is that the more I learn the better I become at making rational decisions and keeping my CC desires at a reasonable level for my lifestyle.

Message 135 of 287
Lzzybeth
New Contributor

Hello all,

Since I applied and was approved for a $5,000 MasterCard with my local credit union, I've felt the app itch and nearly acted on it a few times. Today included!

The 2 months since that approval have been eventful, with new collections coming out of the woodwork. Grrr!! So I've been focusing on knocking out the new and old baddies with DVs and CRA disputes. Today, I recieved word from both Equifax and TransUnion that said baddies have been removed from my credit reports. Wooo hooo, score one for the home team!!

So, I've decided it's in my best interest to offically join the Gardening Club. I need to let my MasterCard age and avoid scratching the app itch. Looking forward to spending time in here and I wish you all the best in your gardens!

Garden Club Challenge: App Free Since 5/01/2021 and
No Apps Until 6/15/2022
Message 136 of 287
TNTransplant
Established Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@germaine47 wrote:

This is so true.  I work with patients who are alcohol/drug addicted, and one of the things we educate them on is the fact that they can no longer hang around people/places that will trigger them to resume drinking/using.

I've got my own app issues that I'm trying to overcome, and I look at the garden as a place where I can still discuss credit with others, but in a positive manner (tinuviel's point for the gardening thread).   I am now trying to minimize my time spent on the approval threads, and it does help.  There's always a new/cool card that comes up, and it is easy to be tempted, especially when getting a new card is like snorting a line of crack.

I've got to start saying, "Get thee behind me, card app..."  Smiley Tongue

Starting Score: Jan 2012: EQ - 659, TU08 - 670, EX - ???
Current Score:April 2014: EQ - 772, TU08 - 782, EX - 754
Last App:3/21/14

Message 137 of 287
LesWH
Established Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@germaine47 wrote:

I agree 100%!!! It is very hard to garden when you read the successes of others.  I left the garden to apply for Lowes', which was approved.  I am  back in as of today.  I am NOT leaving.  There really aren't any cards that I need, or want, so I am staying this time, even if it means taking a break from this wonderful forum!

NFCU Signature Visa Cash Rewards, NavChek, Citi AA AMEX, Cap1 Cash Rewards, Discover IT, Home Depot, Sears, Walmart, Chase Freedom, AMEX Green, Lowe's, AMEX BCE, Chase Sapphire Preferred, AMEX Hilton Honors Surpass, PayPal Extras MC, PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards, AMEX Platinum

GC Challenge: App Free since 1/8/13. No more apps til 2014

Message 138 of 287
thankfulheart
Established Contributor

Walked right past the Disney Chase booth this weekend and although the itch was there, I scratched it with Ghiradelli hot chocolate instead. Smiley Wink  I know the rewards aren't so hot, but I've LONGED for a card with Mickey on the front for YEARS and have been denied, denied, denied.  It may be the first one I go for when I step out of the garden in 2013.

I STILL don't have a TU score on USAA CMS and I tried to log into WalMart Discover for my score from them, but got an error message, so looks like I have to call TU tomorrow and find out what is going on.  My EQ score is still tanked, but I'm hoping that once all the cards and mortgage start to report that it will recover.

Composting and watering...

Starting Score: 10/1/2011 EQ 568 TU 593
Current Score: EQ 664 TU 700 EX 701 (FAKO)

Message 139 of 287
RyVision
Valued Contributor

Well, less than 2 weeks from it and I didn't make it to the Gold Spade this month.....

The NFL $400  came up again and "got me" LOL  

I was still in debate mode since the last time I saw the offer and it closed.  When it was made available again I just couldn't resist.  I felt the $400 was worth leaving the garden and taking an INQ on my TU (which is where it hit), so TU is now at 6 (though it was at 5 at first when it reported).   At least 2 of said INQ's fall off in April of 2013 and 2 others I think are over a year old (I'd say I'm not doing TOO bad on INQ's... I hope).

Was at first denied (no email sent) when I applied,  then called and spoke with a CA and approved for 5K Signature\Flex after a couple questions.  I also think that was worth leaving the garden and taking the INQ for.

Being it's Barclays, I know I'll be getting my Gold Spade before applying for anything else (or risk losing the NFL card).  I'm just glad I was able to turn the INQ from "just an INQ" to an actual success of obtaining the card with the bonus.

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 140 of 287
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.