tag
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Garden Club Meeting - September 2014

@-NewGuy- wrote:

TO: Mods and fellow gardners

RE: Requesting opinions on GC idea

Dear mods and fellow gardners,

I wanted to float an idea about a change to the GC, and see what everyone else thinks about it. As we all know, the GC is a place where people can come and help each other refrain from apping. Lexie has been very diligent in reminding people not to talk about apping, with great effect. I for one appreciate this greatly, as I start itching like a poison icy reaction a month or two after my last one. It is nice to be able to come here every day and chat with people, as well as get extra help from others when the itch is creepin in. In short, I find the GC to be a great resource, and try and pay it forward to others.

My trouble is with the location of the GC. Located within the Credit Cards forum, this means that I have to scroll through a page about new credit cards, credit card apps, etc before I get to the thread about abstaining from credit. To me, this is almost like having an AA meeting in the back of a liquor store. It's a lot of temptation to get through before you get where you're going.

I would also point out that gardening isn't really a credit card based subject, as it applies to all applications; auto, credit card, etc. The Garden Club thread is the single most posted in thread on a monthly basis. No matter which forum you frequent, be it General Credit, Credit Cards, or Understanding FICO, FICOans know what gardening is, and it has helped many people on here achieve financial goals that they previously thought impossible. Gardening really is a subject all its own.

Due to the above, I am inquiring about the possibilty of having a Gardening (or Credit Free, or what have you) subforum under Types of Credit. Either the gardening thread would be in there by itself, or it could contain any threads, including the GC, related to not apping. I personally would find it much easier, as I could concentrate on being app free without the distractions of all the new cards that are released, new applications, etc.

Please let me know what you all think. I would love all honest opinions and suggestions.

-NewGuy-

P.S. I admittedly have horrible self control, so I may be in the minority, LOL. Just an idea.

I say keep it where it is, smack dab in the center of the Credit Card forum.   One of the great things about the Garden being here is the visibility.  If you sticky it, it could easily be skipped.   Same if you put it in a broader category.   Another good reason to leave it right here is because its presence here helps dissuade from the biggest gardening temptation: credit cards.    You don't see people coming in here saying how much business credit or student loans tried to woo them out of the Garden.

The Garden is very much like Central Park to New York City, an oasis in the midst of urban life.   Moving the Garden out of the CC forum would be like moving Central Park to upstate NY, just because you wanted to stay out of the city.  I think it needs to be right here to thrive, to serve it's purpose, and to balance out all of the CC info.  I'll go whereever the Garden is, but I like it here.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 1701 of 1,708
BUN
Established Contributor

Very astute observation! Smart!
Starting Score : 575 May, 2013
Current Scores: EQ 716 6 INQ TU 745 4 INQ EX 726 3 INQ Last INQ December 2015, In the GC until Jan 2017.
Message 1702 of 1,708
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Good points on both sides.  I'm good either way.

All I'm really sure of is that today is the end of September.

After September comes January, right?  Smiley Tongue

02/01/24 Fico 8: EX 757, EQ 803, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 760 12/16/23, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 1703 of 1,708
Anonymous
Not applicable

Resetting my gardening date to today.  Jumped the fence after only 4 days Smiley Frustrated

It's ok though.  My goal date is still the same as 4 days I don't think will make super huge impact (hopefully won't anyway).

I am done at this point - I need to grow what I have so that when my baddies drop I will be in hopefully a very good position.

Message 1704 of 1,708
myjourney
Super Contributor

@coldnmn wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@coldnmn wrote:

Smiley Happy Did someone call for for a headache!  I'm here to please! Smiley Very Happy

Hey headache oh my bad I mean Cold Lol

Hi ya buddy

Smiley Happy Hi MJ! I wish I could read more threads about NASIA today! I like avoiding the credit card forum! Smiley Indifferent

Lol

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 1705 of 1,708
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

I completely meant stickying. It isn't fun or easy typing on an iPhone on the forum. My sisters wifi isn't on until later in the week. (They can't come and turn it on until then. She just moved back to the lower 48 from Alaska.) lol sorry anyone for the confusion.
Message 1706 of 1,708
destine2grow
Frequent Contributor

I have to agree with New Guy! This month I have been a bad girl! I have really let the temptation get me. As of today I am starting over. Hopefully I can make it longer than a month without appin.

Message 1707 of 1,708
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Resetting my gardening date to today.  Jumped the fence after only 4 days Smiley Frustrated

It's ok though.  My goal date is still the same as 4 days I don't think will make super huge impact (hopefully won't anyway).

I am done at this point - I need to grow what I have so that when my baddies drop I will be in hopefully a very good position.

Welcome back!   

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 1708 of 1,708
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.