tag
BUN
Established Contributor

Re: Garden Club Meeting - September 2014

@-NewGuy- wrote:

TO: Mods and fellow gardners

RE: Requesting opinions on GC idea

Dear mods and fellow gardners,

I wanted to float an idea about a change to the GC, and see what everyone else thinks about it. As we all know, the GC is a place where people can come and help each other refrain from apping. Lexie has been very diligent in reminding people not to talk about apping, with great effect. I for one appreciate this greatly, as I start itching like a poison icy reaction a month or two after my last one. It is nice to be able to come here every day and chat with people, as well as get extra help from others when the itch is creepin in. In short, I find the GC to be a great resource, and try and pay it forward to others.

My trouble is with the location of the GC. Located within the Credit Cards forum, this means that I have to scroll through a page about new credit cards, credit card apps, etc before I get to the thread about abstaining from credit. To me, this is almost like having an AA meeting in the back of a liquor store. It's a lot of temptation to get through before you get where you're going.

I would also point out that gardening isn't really a credit card based subject, as it applies to all applications; auto, credit card, etc. The Garden Club thread is the single most posted in thread on a monthly basis. No matter which forum you frequent, be it General Credit, Credit Cards, or Understanding FICO, FICOans know what gardening is, and it has helped many people on here achieve financial goals that they previously thought impossible. Gardening really is a subject all its own.

Due to the above, I am inquiring about the possibilty of having a Gardening (or Credit Free, or what have you) subforum under Types of Credit. Either the gardening thread would be in there by itself, or it could contain any threads, including the GC, related to not apping. I personally would find it much easier, as I could concentrate on being app free without the distractions of all the new cards that are released, new applications, etc.

Please let me know what you all think. I would love all honest opinions and suggestions.

-NewGuy-

P.S. I admittedly have horrible self control, so I may be in the minority, LOL. Just an idea.

This is a great idea, NewGuy! I agree it's difficult getting here having to pass by all the approvals and madness. I hope this happens!

Starting Score : 575 May, 2013
Current Scores: EQ 716 6 INQ TU 745 4 INQ EX 726 3 INQ Last INQ December 2015, In the GC until Jan 2017.
Message 1681 of 1,708
BUN
Established Contributor

@JoMellow wrote:

@-NewGuy- wrote:

I wanted to float an idea about a change to the GC, and see what everyone else thinks about it. As we all know, the GC is a place where people can come and help each other refrain from apping. Lexie has been very diligent in reminding people not to talk about apping, with great effect. I for one appreciate this greatly, as I start itching like a poison icy reaction a month or two after my last one. It is nice to be able to come here every day and chat with people, as well as get extra help from others when the itch is creepin in. In short, I find the GC to be a great resource, and try and pay it forward to others.

My trouble is with the location of the GC. Located within the Credit Cards forum, this means that I have to scroll through a page about new credit cards, credit card apps, etc before I get to the thread about abstaining from credit. To me, this is almost like having an AA meeting in the back of a liquor store. It's a lot of temptation to get through before you get where you're going.

I would also point out that gardening isn't really a credit card based subject, as it applies to all applications; auto, credit card, etc. The Garden Club thread is the single most posted in thread on a monthly basis. No matter which forum you frequent, be it General Credit, Credit Cards, or Understanding FICO, FICOans know what gardening is, and it has helped many people on here achieve financial goals that they previously thought impossible. Gardening really is a subject all its own.

Due to the above, I am inquiring about the possibilty of having a Gardening (or Credit Free, or what have you) subforum under Types of Credit. Either the gardening thread would be in there by itself, or it could contain any threads, including the GC, related to not apping. I personally would find it much easier, as I could concentrate on being app free without the distractions of all the new cards that are released, new applications, etc.

Please let me know what you all think. I would love all honest opinions and suggestions.

-NewGuy-

P.S. I admittedly have horrible self control, so I may be in the minority, LOL. Just an idea.

Agrees, also -  This is a great idea! 

And seeing as I've apparently broken the "no app discussion" rule - I will be taking an extended leave of absence as to not make any future blunders here.  My apologies.   Have a good rest of the day y'all.  

Don't go Jo! We need everyone and everyone is important!

Current Scores: EQ 716 6 INQ TU 745 4 INQ EX 726 3 INQ Last INQ December 2015, In the GC until Jan 2017.
Message 1682 of 1,708
RBFool
Contributor

I don't feel like quoting... But I like newguy's suggestion. I thknk it's a good idea and it may prevent impulse decisions for apping. Smiley Happy

BK 7 Dismissed: 5/2014 AAoA: 6 years Credit Scores (07-02-2015): My Privacy Matters: TU: 633 EX:658 EQ: 651
How to add pics to Signature

Message 1683 of 1,708
BUN
Established Contributor

@Ghoshida wrote:

Hello GC !

This month is ending on a mostly happy, a little bit sad, note on credit.

Got my debt down to <1% of my overall limit. Yay !

Got several FICO score boosts (about 15-20 points). Even Credit Karma showed a 40 points boost today, Aug-end (651) to Sep-end (691). Chase consolidated my limits on Freedom and Slate, closed out slate, and did a mid-cycle reporting on Freedom for 0-balance. Discover gave me an SP CLI (1.3k), AMEX gave me an auto-CLI (1k). 

Sadly, US Bank didn't. They still declined my CLI request, the mail came in yesterday, and they showed an abysmal Bankcard TU 04 score of 622. That was from Aug-end. Probably I pulled the trigger too soon. I'll ask for the next CLI in December; hopefully all this payoff will report and 2 more inquiries will hit 1-year mark.

Otherwise, happy happy. 15 more days to go before I get my gold spade. 

Congratulations! That's some good gardening!

Message 1684 of 1,708
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

Hey Gho,

Sorry about USB, but congrats on the rest! That's some pretty awesome stuff for one month!

Message 1685 of 1,708
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@-NewGuy- wrote:

-NewGuy-

Personally, at this stage, I have been patient for 5 years, just started rebuilding in 2013.  I enjoy reading the CC Threads, gives me an idea of what I want in the future.  I don't feel the need to app, and will probably never be a Baller (I THINK I know what that means).

That being said, I love your reference to behind the liquor store.  When the frenzy started with NASA, I wanted to apply.  I see those siggies with tons of cards, but I don't want that many, however, can't help but feel envious.  There may come a point I feel the need to keep up with the Joneses, so I empathize with your feelings.

Maybe the thread is here to drag people from the apping?  Dunno.  When I get above 720, they may be sending the ERTs' and rifle kitties after me often.  Then, I would wonder about the placement.  Good subject to ponder.

Signature needs updating
Message 1686 of 1,708
Bluebonnet
New Contributor

Ok.  Somebody pass me a ball and chain, so I can really plant (no pun intended) myself in the garden!  I had a slight setback.  I actually apped for 3 cards and was approved for two of them.  I was declined for the third, but wasn't really expecting to get approved (just hopeful).  I will say it took them a little longer to say no this time (Chase) - How's that for optimistic?  

Anyway!

I really shouldn't have apped for the Chase anyway because the other card I was approved for serves the same purpose.  I'm grateful for the two approvals, and now I am keeping myself in this garden for the next two years until ALL of these inquiries fall off my report.  No request for CLI or anything.  I have more than what I need.  I will be making daily trips to this thread to keep me focused.  

Last app: 10/4/14
In the garden until Winter of 2016
Message 1687 of 1,708
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quoting is a pain when using my phone but NewGuys suggestion is spot on! 100% behind this and hope it happens soon. Smiley Happy Brilliant idea
Message 1688 of 1,708
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@BUN wrote:

@Ghoshida wrote:

Hello GC !

This month is ending on a mostly happy, a little bit sad, note on credit.

Got my debt down to <1% of my overall limit. Yay !

Got several FICO score boosts (about 15-20 points). Even Credit Karma showed a 40 points boost today, Aug-end (651) to Sep-end (691). Chase consolidated my limits on Freedom and Slate, closed out slate, and did a mid-cycle reporting on Freedom for 0-balance. Discover gave me an SP CLI (1.3k), AMEX gave me an auto-CLI (1k). 

Sadly, US Bank didn't. They still declined my CLI request, the mail came in yesterday, and they showed an abysmal Bankcard TU 04 score of 622. That was from Aug-end. Probably I pulled the trigger too soon. I'll ask for the next CLI in December; hopefully all this payoff will report and 2 more inquiries will hit 1-year mark.

Otherwise, happy happy. 15 more days to go before I get my gold spade. 

Congratulations! That's some good gardening!

Thanks BUN ! 

Now need to get some work done. Major deadlines and headaches Smiley Happy

Message 1689 of 1,708
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@-NewGuy- wrote:

Hey Gho,

Sorry about USB, but congrats on the rest! That's some pretty awesome stuff for one month!

Thanks NewGuy !

The biggest relief was the disappearance of my debt. Felt SO good Smiley Happy

One day I'll get the US Bank CLI too. Heck, I'll get it to 5k and ask them for a signature Smiley Very Happy

Message 1690 of 1,708
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.