Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 31 of 80
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Garden Club of August!

@ptrutkowski wrote:

Sorry, I'm new.. What is "gardening"?

+1 to PP

Gardening means that you're done hunting new credit, and now you're going to sit back and tend your current accounts, making them work better for you. This might include any of the following: Paying down/ off any balances, negotiating an APR decrease (although you should never carry a balance, so this should be irrelevant), negotiating a CLI, getting an annual fee waived, closing out any dud cards (please read fused's "Closing Credit Cards" linked in my siggy first), and so forth.

In other words, you are now going to take a break from accumulating new credit, and you're going to evaluate what you have, and try to make it work better for you.

See siggy below. Smiley Wink

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 32 of 80
Anonymous
Not applicable

@drkaje wrote:

@ptrutkowski wrote:

Not getting caught-up in the App race.

You know, letting your current cards grow/mature over time. Smiley Happy

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

@ptrutkowski wrote:

+1 to PP

Gardening means that you're done hunting new credit, and now you're going to sit back and tend your current accounts, making them work better for you. This might include any of the following: Paying down/ off any balances, negotiating an APR decrease (although you should never carry a balance, so this should be irrelevant), negotiating a CLI, getting an annual fee waived, closing out any dud cards (please read fused's "Closing Credit Cards" linked in my siggy first), and so forth.

In other words, you are now going to take a break from accumulating new credit, and you're going to evaluate what you have, and try to make it work better for you.

See siggy below. Smiley Wink

Thanks to you both!  I'm definitely going to be gardening for a while.  I've got 4 cards, 3 in the past 5 months, and am satisfied with my AMEX Clear for rewards.  Going to do all of the above to help my score!

Message 33 of 80
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not applying for the Walmart card for free FICO is really tough...

Message 34 of 80
android01
Valued Contributor

@ptrutkowski wrote:

+1.  I just can't apply for a credit card I'll never use, I don't want the inq and new account FICO hits,  but the TU score may get the better of me.  

EQ Fico 8 - 850
TU Fico 8 - 850
EX Fico 8 - 850
Message 35 of 80
Anonymous
Not applicable

@android01 wrote:

@ptrutkowski wrote:

+1.  I just can't apply for a credit card I'll never use, I don't want the inq and new account FICO hits,  but the TU score may get the better of me.  

Same, especially because I've had 3 inquiries in the past 5 months for new cards.

Message 36 of 80
Anonymous
Not applicable

@android01 wrote:

@ptrutkowski wrote:

Well, I thought about that, app'd for it anyway back in late July / early august.  I will visit walmart maybe once a year to take advantage of it, or maybe hit their gas station.  But I am hanging tight, half way through August and haven't given into the App monster!  Now in terms of the Chase Freedom card I have, how soon was it before anyone here was granted an automatic CLI?  I do not want to get the hard pull for asking for one.  I charge between 800-1000 a month on it and have pif so far in the last two months I've had the card...

Message 37 of 80
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@android01 wrote:

@ptrutkowski wrote:

Well, I thought about that, app'd for it anyway back in late July / early august.  I will visit walmart maybe once a year to take advantage of it, or maybe hit their gas station.  But I am hanging tight, half way through August and haven't given into the App monster!  Now in terms of the Chase Freedom card I have, how soon was it before anyone here was granted an automatic CLI?  I do not want to get the hard pull for asking for one.  I charge between 800-1000 a month on it and have pif so far in the last two months I've had the card...

Admittedly, it's very tempting due to the TU scores. I don't know that it's an option for me, though, as I had an unpaid CO with Walmart from 2004 (from my big credit meltdown in the wake of Hurricane Charley). It's getting ready to fall off my CRs next month. GEMB has approved me for other cards recently, but I don't know if they blacklist for certain cards. Does anyone know?

On another note, I am having app itch for a different card. I was really, really hoping that Wells Fargo was going to buy out HSBC, as I bank with them and I would really like to have one of their cards to link to my checking account for overdraft protection. I already link my savings for that purpose, but I'd really like to do this with a card. Ever since the sale went to Cap1, the "Apply now!" link that shows up on my Wells Fargo online banking screen has been sitting there taunting me. So far I've been successful at convincing myself to wait, but the itch is there. For now, I'm focusing on the feeling of enjoyment that I've been getting from watching my scores rise, and reminding myself that I'll take an inq for applying at all, and a new credit ding if approved. I'll content myself with watching scores for the next couple of months, at least.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 38 of 80
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Nothing is really talking to me at the moment. I'm getting more joy from aggressively paying down the smaller balance more than a new card could give.

Maybe next year something will look cool or make good numerical sense for a BT but I really don't have any use for another card right now. CLIs would help with utilization but I wouldn't take a hard pull for one.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 39 of 80
Anonymous
Not applicable

Right now I've got a 47.5% UTL on my Citi card and 30% on my AMEX but I'm going to have them both down to 10% come October 1!

Tuition and new tires really got me this month.

Message 40 of 80
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.