Did you mean: 

Gardening Strategy

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Gardening Strategy

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I will let you know if my payment posts tomorrow but I’m not anticipating an issue. I did $1 test anyway though because having money tied up is not fun. They debited my account this morning. 

I also noticed that I can actually pay my Security Service credit card through this CU as well, something my bank cant do, but this CU can’t pay BBVA while my bank can (I do pull payments for it anyway though). 

Its always so much of a fuss trying to find that perfect FI!

Personally, I wouldn't particularly mind letting Discover or Chase do pull payments, but I'm leery about letting Synchrony. Too many horror stories around the net for them, and their portal is... hrm... We'll say I don't like it. Smiley Happy Gonna test push a payment myself and see how it goes.

Same thoughts about Synchrony! 

I pull for all my other cards but I push Sync payments. 

I may have to change to all push though if I move to DCU. Far easier to enter credit card numbers and billing zip codes than to go log in to every single account and update the checking and routing. 

Message 11 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I will let you know if my payment posts tomorrow but I’m not anticipating an issue. I did $1 test anyway though because having money tied up is not fun. They debited my account this morning. 

I also noticed that I can actually pay my Security Service credit card through this CU as well, something my bank cant do, but this CU can’t pay BBVA while my bank can (I do pull payments for it anyway though). 

Personally, I wouldn't particularly mind letting Discover or Chase do pull payments, but I'm leery about letting Synchrony. Too many horror stories around the net for them, and their portal is... hrm... We'll say I don't like it. Smiley Happy Gonna test push a payment myself and see how it goes.

I may have to change to all push though if I move to DCU. Far easier to enter credit card numbers and billing zip codes than to go log in to every single account and update the checking and routing. 

Synchrony kinda struck me as not quite organized when I added an AU to my Paypal Cashback MC... Tried to do it via online, couldn't get their system to send me an auth code via text, call was silent when I answered. Eventually it said "You can't verify with this PC call". Sigh. So I called in, changed my phone number to my actual cell (they had grabbed my google voice from my paypal account, which foiled me from auto-auth during signup, had to call in to activate after receiving card) dunno what their problem is with VoIP numbers. Anyway, also got an AU added to the card. After hanging up, checked my account aaaand... it lists I have 2 AUs... Clicked on it, and it lists the AU I had them add twice, called in again, when they pulled up my account, they said I only have one AU, I refresh the page, indeed it now showed one. After hanging up... two again, same name. Maybe their system will be fixed in the future, I'm just gonna keep tabs on it. Anyone else have AUs on PPCBMC?

Message 12 of 19
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous  Pay as many times as you feel comfortable, as long as you pay on time. 

Dont sweat reported  utilization too much if you're not applying. 

If you're really planning on AZEO with multiple monthly payments, make sure Freedom is not the EO card, as it will report $0 every time the balance is paid off. 

Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Remedios wrote:

@Anonymous  Pay as many times as you feel comfortable, as long as you pay on time. 

Dont sweat reported  utilization too much if you're not applying. 

If you're really planning on AZEO with multiple monthly payments, make sure Freedom is not the EO card, as it will report $0 every time the balance is paid off. 

The CFU will be SD'd until I can PC it to a CF, but my PPCBMC will be my EO It earns more in non-cats, so it gets the spotlight (especially while I can still use the 3% trick with the PPBDC)

Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Synchrony kinda struck me as not quite organized when I added an AU to my Paypal Cashback MC... Tried to do it via online, couldn't get their system to send me an auth code via text, call was silent when I answered. Eventually it said "You can't verify with this PC call". Sigh. So I called in, changed my phone number to my actual cell (they had grabbed my google voice from my paypal account, which foiled me from auto-auth during signup, had to call in to activate after receiving card) dunno what their problem is with VoIP numbers. Anyway, also got an AU added to the card. After hanging up, checked my account aaaand... it lists I have 2 AUs... Clicked on it, and it lists the AU I had them add twice, called in again, when they pulled up my account, they said I only have one AU, I refresh the page, indeed it now showed one. After hanging up... two again, same name. Maybe their system will be fixed in the future, I'm just gonna keep tabs on it. Anyone else have AUs on PPCBMC?

I ran into the stupid Google Voice issue too. They pulled an old cell number off my credit report and made that my verification number. Letter in the mail, couldn’t access my Amazon account unless on the mobile site the whole time. 🤦‍♂️ 

I love how the rep insisted nobody who isn’t committing fraud uses Google Voice when I’ve used it without anyone ever having an issue since I got my Grand Central number in 2007/2008. 

Message 15 of 19
MakingProgress
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I am an AU on DWs sync/lowes card.   Somehow I am listed twice and when they recently sent new cards we got 2 in my name. 

FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores

Garden Goal is All Reports Clean – Achieved 11/26/20
Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't see any huge problems with this strategy, but it's overkill to pay every Monday. You could literally pick any day of the month and pay on that date every month and not have to worry about due dates. Also, no real reason to only use one card for AEZO. Utlization has no memory from one month to the next so it's pointless to go through the trouble to get a few extra points. Just use the card for the best categories, pay them once a month, and enjoy. 

The main reason for this is to keep from lump sum payments so I can track my finances better without micro-managing... Sorta macro-managing instead. Especially if say, something happens and I miss some work, I couldn't plan that drop in cash for the next week. Right now all of my cards (minus my crap local bank one) are 0% between 12-18 months so it's not a huge problem, nor am I irresponsible (it took me until age 27 to even get my first credit card and almost 3 years to get another).

Although I just realized all my my card due dates are within a week, 2 days apart. Smiley Surprised

Paypal/Sync: 2nd

Chase: 4th

Bank: 6th

Discover: 8th

That'd be a wild week on my checking account... Smiley Wink

To each his own. But I don't see the benefit from paying the balance off every single week as opposed to once a month. If I'm paying $100 a week or $400 a month at the end it's still the same. I'm going to buy stuff that I know I have money for in my bank account. If I don't have the money, I don't buy it. 

Message 17 of 19
Remedios
Credit Mentor

As OP stated, this is new(ish) to them. They will find in time what works and what does not.

In the end, as long as everything is paid on time, number of payments is philosophy more than anything else. 

Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Had a thought on a strategy to garden my new cards awhile and figured I'd run it by the fine folks here. Get some comments and further ideas. If it's a good one, feel free to use it.

Starting to use my credit as a daily spend for the first time, always been more of a debit kinda guy, if I don't have it, I don't spend it. So in effort to keep in line with this, I figure I'll PIF every monday and ignore statement dates. That way it's less stress to keep up with, and wherever the statements fall, they can be reported as what they are until the following monday (or autopay, haven't decided).

In effect this should:
1: Keep all cards PIF
2: Keep my spending responsible to a weekly schedule.
3: Have low UTI on any reported amounts (should be between 1-5%)
4: Make sure I don't stress about payment dates.
5: Ensure I keep a better knowledge of my money. PIF Monday, get paid on Wednesday so I know what I can spend on the next week.
6: Outside of 5% cats, daily spend should be on a single card to keep AZEO.
7: Only have to monitor statement dates for major purchases to ensure higher uti isn't reported.
8: Garden them little seedling accounts into flourishing credit lines.

Thoughts on the process, effect, or otherwise? Also, hopefully I shouldn't have any problem making up to 4 payments a month, correct?

Cards to be used:
Chase Freedom Unlimited (until SUB met, then SD'd until I can PC to CF)
Discover it (for 5% cats only)
Paypal Cashback MC (Daily driver)

The Discover and Chase I plan to do push payments via my bank, however, it doesn't seem I can do push for Paypal/Synch, which is the one I really want push for. My bank only comes up with Paypal Credit and Synchrony Bank, trying to setup as Synchrony bank, it asks for zipcode, then after hitting save, requires additional information and asks for full address and makes it paper checks.

I sent out the payment to my PayPal card choosing PayPal Buyer Credit. DCU shows it as “E-bay dual card” where it was sent so I think it should show up tomorrow along with my Amazon Store Card payment. 

Its all Synchrony whether it’s sent to Synchrony Bank, PayPal Buyer Credit, or Amazon so technically all three of them should go where they are meant to via your account number. 

As for your payment plan, it’s not the way I would do it but as long as you’re pushing payments and not pulling them, it shouldn’t be an issue. 

*Facepalm* It comes up as Paypal Buyer Credit for me as well, I figured that was just for the paypal only credit by comenity. Then I remembered it got moved to synch too, just added it, required additional info, but took it after inputting the CS number, so I guess they have several under that name. Thanks. No pull payments for me!

My $1 posted to both Amazon and PayPal just FYI. Lightning fast too since DCU pulled it from my account this morning and I just checked Amazon and PayPal and they both are reflecting it. 

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.