Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gardening advice

tag
Harrison0550
New Contributor

Gardening advice

I just finished a rather awesome app spree and got approved for 4 of the cards in my sig in the past week. I will now be managing 6 CC's vs just my 2 cap1 cards. I was hoping for a little gardening help. I have read that most if not all cards need to have activity monthly to maximize scores. However I dont want to carry 6 cards in my wallet. Below is my plan, please tell me what you think.

Setup auto bill payments for each card and setup auto pay in full for the cards each month. Will that keep me showing good activity while paying in full each month?

Barclays = Power Bill

Cap1 plat = Gym membership, cable bill

Cap1 QS = insurance

US Bank = storage bill

Slate = cell phone bill

Freedom = in my wallet

What do you guys think? Is that a solid gardening plan or should I change some things up to get the best out of each card?

$1500K$3500K$3000K$1000K$1200K$2500

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

Re: Gardening advice

@Harrison0550 wrote:

I just finished a rather awesome app spree and got approved for 4 of the cards in my sig in the past week. I will now be managing 6 CC's vs just my 2 cap1 cards. I was hoping for a little gardening help. I have read that most if not all cards need to have activity monthly to maximize scores. However I dont want to carry 6 cards in my wallet. Below is my plan, please tell me what you think.

Setup auto bill payments for each card and setup auto pay in full for the cards each month. Will that keep me showing good activity while paying in full each month?

Barclays = Power Bill

Cap1 QS = insurance

US Bank = storage bill

Slate = cell phone bill

Freedom = in my wallet

What do you guys think? Is that a solid gardening plan or should I change some things up to get the best out of each card?

^^^

Sounds like an awesome plan, very smart of you to actually have a strategy/plan!

Message 2 of 15
gh17
Frequent Contributor

@Harrison0550 wrote:

Barclays = Power Bill

Cap1 QS = insurance

US Bank = storage bill

Slate = cell phone bill

Freedom = in my wallet

To maximize scores, you only need to use one card each month and want to have all the other ones reporting a 0 balance.  If you prefer to use more cards, you can, but (to maximize scores), you would want to pay them all off before the statement comes, except for one card.

That said, this doesn't really matter unless you are planning on applying for credit, because your credit score has no "memory" with regard to this.  So next time you want to boost your score for something, you can just start letting only one card report, but you can do whatever you want the rest of the time.  You also want to keep that one card at <9% of the limit.

The only reasons to use more than one card are to either maximize your rewards (certain cards offering better rewards in different spending categories) or to keep the cards open.  Some credit card companies will want you to use each card at least once every six months to a year or else they might close your card.  This has nothing to do with your credit score though, and you definitely don't have to use each card every month - just once in a while.

Looking at your cards, it probably makes most sense to use the Freedom for whatever categories get 5% that quarter, Barclays for groceries, gas (when not a Freedom category), utilities, and drugstores, and Capital One Quicksilver for everything else.  I don't think the other cards have any rewards, right?  So I would not carry them in your wallet and would just use them once or twice a year.

But that's just a rewards strategy.  If you really feel like you won't remember to use the cards once or twice a year, then it's fine to set up some automatic payments.  But it has nothing to do with maximizing your score.  (Having more cards report balances is bad for your score.)  Also, I think Barclays gives 2% on cable bills, phone bills, and power, so it probably makes most sense to put those bills on Barclays and pick other bills for the other cards.

BofA Cash Rewards 25,000 (2009) | Citi Double Cash 25,000 (2011) | Cap1 Quicksilver 10,000 (2013) | Discover It 31,000 (2014) | Chase Freedom 9000 (2014) | Barclaycard Rewards 25,000 (2014)

FICO: 840 Discover/Barclays/BofA TU, 869 Citi Equifax
Message 3 of 15
Harrison0550
New Contributor

That is awesome feedback. Thank you! I will for sure change the cable, phone, and power all to Barclays for the rewards. Looks like I will keep the freedom and quicksilver in my wallet to maximize rewards and put the others up. It will be interesting to see what these new cards will do to my score over time. Ive never been able to break a 700 fico. So here's to hoping it gets there in time. Thanks again!

Message 4 of 15
PandiferBear
Frequent Contributor

@Harrison0550 wrote:
That is awesome feedback. Thank you! I will for sure change the cable, phone, and power all to Barclays for the rewards. Looks like I will keep the freedom and quicksilver in my wallet to maximize rewards and put the others up. It will be interesting to see what these new cards will do to my score over time. Ive never been able to break a 700 fico. So here's to hoping it gets there in time. Thanks again!
Super foSuper Super good luck to you on your journey!  You sound like you are well on your way!  You have gotten some great cards that I am hoping for in the future.  I am hoping to jump that 700 hurdle in the next year, maybe two (fingers crossed), so I know how much it would mean.
EX 793 (06/29/16) TU 787 (07/03/16) EQ 711 (06/30/16) Goal: 780 across the board
Amex Everyday: $25,000 | Venture: $15,000 | Chase Hyatt: $12,000 | Discover IT: $11,700 | Barclay Ring $7,500 | Quicksilver: $7,750 | CareCredit: $5,000 | Amazon Synch: $5,000
Message 5 of 15
bk510
Valued Contributor

@Harrison0550 wrote:

Barclays = Power Bill

Cap1 QS = insurance

US Bank = storage bill

Slate = cell phone bill

Freedom = in my wallet

I pay all my util, cable and cell phone(TMO) and get 2% cash back on my Barclay.

photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo Venture One_zpsigvttrlz.jpg photo Sony Visa_zpsxoradr1b.jpg photo USC Reward_zpslcvjfxmq.jpg photo Penfed Promise_zpsdg1y2dw2.png photo NasaFcu_zpswac3zwcu.jpg photo America_zpsuwx8rzdm.jpg photo LA-Kings-card_zpslbkyeqsz.png photo Barclay_zpslqv3i4tl.jpg photo BBVA_zpsqrhh7omh.jpg
 photo nfcu debit card_zpsprkh98jw.png photo nfcu visa siggy_zps0gjgyxje.png/ photo nfcu goReward card_zpsixhh1qcp.jpg photo sdfcu platinum card_zpspilihdiv.png  photo penfed reward cash_zpsyckxjc7y.png photo alliant visa_zpsaf4udfx0.jpg photo Citi Secured_zpsypzxi0jm.png photo fnbo platinum_zpsxfub6esb.png photo marvel-credit-card_zpsfkvc3ux5.png photo golden 1 CU_zpslhgxynjv.pngBurned AECitiChase
Message 6 of 15
bk510
Valued Contributor

@gh17 wrote:

@Harrison0550 wrote:

Barclays = Power Bill

Cap1 QS = insurance

US Bank = storage bill

Slate = cell phone bill

Freedom = in my wallet

To maximize scores, you only need to use one card each month and want to have all the other ones reporting a 0 balance.  If you prefer to use more cards, you can, but (to maximize scores), you would want to pay them all off before the statement comes, except for one card.

That said, this doesn't really matter unless you are planning on applying for credit, because your credit score has no "memory" with regard to this.  So next time you want to boost your score for something, you can just start letting only one card report, but you can do whatever you want the rest of the time.  You also want to keep that one card at <9% of the limit.

The only reasons to use more than one card are to either maximize your rewards (certain cards offering better rewards in different spending categories) or to keep the cards open.  Some credit card companies will want you to use each card at least once every six months to a year or else they might close your card.  This has nothing to do with your credit score though, and you definitely don't have to use each card every month - just once in a while.

Looking at your cards, it probably makes most sense to use the Freedom for whatever categories get 5% that quarter, Barclays for groceries, gas (when not a Freedom category), utilities, and drugstores, and Capital One Quicksilver for everything else.  I don't think the other cards have any rewards, right?  So I would not carry them in your wallet and would just use them once or twice a year.

But that's just a rewards strategy.  If you really feel like you won't remember to use the cards once or twice a year, then it's fine to set up some automatic payments.  But it has nothing to do with maximizing your score.  (Having more cards report balances is bad for your score.)  Also, I think Barclays gives 2% on cable bills, phone bills, and power, so it probably makes most sense to put those bills on Barclays and pick other bills for the other cards.

+1

photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo Venture One_zpsigvttrlz.jpg photo Sony Visa_zpsxoradr1b.jpg photo USC Reward_zpslcvjfxmq.jpg photo Penfed Promise_zpsdg1y2dw2.png photo NasaFcu_zpswac3zwcu.jpg photo America_zpsuwx8rzdm.jpg photo LA-Kings-card_zpslbkyeqsz.png photo Barclay_zpslqv3i4tl.jpg photo BBVA_zpsqrhh7omh.jpg
 photo nfcu debit card_zpsprkh98jw.png photo nfcu visa siggy_zps0gjgyxje.png/ photo nfcu goReward card_zpsixhh1qcp.jpg photo sdfcu platinum card_zpspilihdiv.png  photo penfed reward cash_zpsyckxjc7y.png photo alliant visa_zpsaf4udfx0.jpg photo Citi Secured_zpsypzxi0jm.png photo fnbo platinum_zpsxfub6esb.png photo marvel-credit-card_zpsfkvc3ux5.png photo golden 1 CU_zpslhgxynjv.pngBurned AECitiChase
Message 7 of 15
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@bk510 wrote:

@gh17 wrote:

@Harrison0550 wrote:

Barclays = Power Bill

Cap1 QS = insurance

US Bank = storage bill

Slate = cell phone bill

Freedom = in my wallet

+1

+2

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 8 of 15
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

@SunriseEarth wrote:

@bk510 wrote:

@gh17 wrote:

@Harrison0550 wrote:

Barclays = Power Bill

Cap1 QS = insurance

US Bank = storage bill

Slate = cell phone bill

Freedom = in my wallet

+1

+2

+3 and with more usage chances of a auto CLI is good every 6 months.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 9 of 15
Harrison0550
New Contributor

Wow this Barclay card is sounding better and better everyday. I just woke up to 2 alerts on my phone and they have already started reporting my $2500 CL. That's awesome considering the card is still in the mail! I don't remember my cap1's reporting until after the first billing statement. Instant 12 point score increase this morning. Woooohooo!

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.