Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gas/Restaurant category cards??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Gas/Restaurant category cards??

I am wondering if there are any cards that give 3% (or more) in restaurant/gas on a single card.

Similar to the Chase AARP and Bank of the West cards.

If those are the only two, I'd probably be partial to the Bank of the West card but the restriction of quarterly reward payout bothers me for some reason

I've been thinking of trying to "thin the heard" to carry as few cards as possible just for ease of use. My two main category related spends are gas and "dining", but I don't really feel that I have enough gas spend to warrant having a card that is only used for gas. I could be wrong though.

My monthly spending is usually around

$450 dining (fast food around $200 and restaurants around $250)

$200 gas

$200-250 groceries (sometimes less, bcp will soon be pc'd and sd'd, as it'd probably take too long for me to reach the $25 threshold to care about keeping up with personally)

$100-300 miscellaneous depending on the month

$800 rent that goes on Citi DC or Blispay as I still come out $6 ahead even after the "convenience charge"

Just looking at suggestions for card selection. Citi D.C./Marvel? Citi D.C./Marvel/BoA Cash Rewards? Citi D.C./BotW? Other suggestions welcome, those are just the ones that come to mind initially.

Current EX/TU Ficos per Discover scorecard/statement are around 720-735. Cards and month/year I got them are in signature in regards to new accounts and inquiries in a given time frame.

Perhaps even just going down to Citi D.C. for all the spend as the 1% add may not even be enough with my marginal spending to warrant all this? Again. Opinions/advice is definitely welcome (and encouraged, as I'd like others opinions with my situation/scenario) 

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

Re: Gas/Restaurant category cards??

$200 on fast food a month? Darn, that's a lot. Sorry I couldn't help.

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 2 of 20
CribDuchess
Established Contributor

The Costco Visa issued by Citi has 4% gas, 3% dining & travel, 2% for Costco, and 1% everything else. But, the rewards are only issued once a year, in February when your Feb statement cuts. You get a certificate that can be redeemed at Costco (for cash if you prefer).

There is an annual fee, but it's really just the Costco membership. If you're already a Costco member, you might want to consider this one. Although, if you don't like waiting quarterly for your rewards, then I suppose waiting annually for them might not be your cup of tea. I have several co-workers who use this card and they love it. They don't mind the wait, as they see a very nice chunk of change once a year and can do more with it all at once.
FICOs: TU08 842 EQ08 850 EX08 850

My Wallet: Amex Gold NPSL; Amex Optima Platinum $25K; Amex BCE $12K; Apple Card $20K; BofA Travel Rewards Visa Sig $67.6K; Cap1 Quicksilver Visa Sig $10K; CSP $28.2K; Chase Freedom $13K; Chase Freedom Unlimited $21.4K; Citi Costco Visa $19.3K; Citi Double Cash $13.5K; Citi Simplicity Visa $23.3K; Discover IT $50K; Fidelity Visa $25K; NFCU Flagship Visa Sig $40K; NFCU More Rewards Amex $30K; PenFed Plat Rewards Visa Sig $50K; Sears MC $10.1K; US Bank Altitude Go Visa Sig $20K; US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig $26K; Wells Fargo Rewards Visa Sig $14K
Message 3 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

PNC just came out with a card last month that to my limited knowledge is the best single gas and food card I could find. 4% back on gas, 3% back on restuarants, and 2% back on groceries. Check it out here.

Message 4 of 20
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

PNC just came out with a card last month that to my limited knowledge is the best single gas and food card I could find. 4% back on gas, 3% back on restuarants, and 2% back on groceries. Check it out here.

Just to add: $8,000 in combined purchases in these categories annually.

Message 5 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

The $200 in fast food is largely due to lunches at work. Since we don't do a lot of groceries, there usually isn't much for leftovers. I work at a credit union (so M-F 9-5) and there are usually about 20-22 work days in a given month. My lunch spend is generally about $5-8/day, kinda crazy but we just aren't avid cookers unfortunately. We'd like to start cooking but we just aren't comfortable eating food that we may or may not be able to successfully cook. Maybe we just make it harder than it is haha.

And the costco is a definite no-go. The only costco in Oklahoma to my knowledge is in Tulsa, which is about 2-3 hours from where I'm located (Northwestern OKC). I wanted that card and was fine with the annual payout as those rewards are nice. But the fee for me would be more of an annual card fee than a fee to shop, as I probably wouldn't drive 3 hours for groceries. Any potential savings would most likely be eaten in gas haha.

I mean. Bank of the West seems like my best bet. But I'd read that they don't have a payment option on their side of your card login, which results in requiring you to push the payment from your bank account via billpay. Idk that just seems odd to me, not to have a way to make a payment from your card login on their side? Unless those are very old dp's and this is now an option through their cards? The only reason I prefer doing it from the issuers side is so that in the event that there happens to be an error with payment delivery, they can see that I legitimately did schedule a payment for that date and am not just blowing smoke, ya know? But maybe they allow payments from their side now idk..... if anybody has updated info that'd be nice
Message 6 of 20
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
The $200 in fast food is largely due to lunches at work. Since we don't do a lot of groceries, there usually isn't much for leftovers. I work at a credit union (so M-F 9-5) and there are usually about 20-22 work days in a given month. My lunch spend is generally about $5-8/day, kinda crazy but we just aren't avid cookers unfortunately. We'd like to start cooking but we just aren't comfortable eating food that we may or may not be able to successfully cook. Maybe we just make it harder than it is haha.

Fair enough.. Didn't cook much when I was single but I was good at buying good bread and lunch meat at the grocery store. Came out cheaper for me than eating out.. And food poision at McDonald's kind if curtailed that expense. Nothing worse than seeing a fish sandwich over and over and over, yuk. Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 20
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

And the costco is a definite no-go. The only costco in Oklahoma to my knowledge is in Tulsa, which is about 2-3 hours from where I'm located (Northwestern OKC). I wanted that card and was fine with the annual payout as those rewards are nice. But the fee for me would be more of an annual card fee than a fee to shop, as I probably wouldn't drive 3 hours for groceries. Any potential savings would most likely be eaten in gas haha.

I mean. Bank of the West seems like my best bet. But I'd read that they don't have a payment option on their side of your card login, which results in requiring you to push the payment from your bank account via billpay. Idk that just seems odd to me, not to have a way to make a payment from your card login on their side? Unless those are very old dp's and this is now an option through their cards? The only reason I prefer doing it from the issuers side is so that in the event that there happens to be an error with payment delivery, they can see that I legitimately did schedule a payment for that date and am not just blowing smoke, ya know? But maybe they allow payments from their side now idk..... if anybody has updated info that'd be nice

You can pay the Bank of the West card online from their web site. However, it uses some wierd western union payment system and you can only pay once a month. I don't recall the exact details, there may have been a fee for paying more than once a month.

Infirst FCU VISA Rewards is 4% gas, 3% restaurant and travel. JCB Marukai is 3% on everything. UMB Simply rewards is 3X in those categories and is offered by a LOT of regional banks (at least 35). Golden 1 is 3% in those categories. Security Service Power Travel is 3.3% iin those categories.

US Bank Cash+ can give 5% on fast food, and 2% on restaurants. However, rumor is some people have been transitioned to other cards, so it may be going away.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 8 of 20
dwz55
Regular Contributor

If you live in California Golden 1 Credit Union has the Platinum Rewards card that offers 3% for Gas Groceries and Dining. They also have a APR as low as 7.79%

TU 780 April 2014
EQ 797 May 2014
EX 786 May 2014
Message 9 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

First off, buy more groceries and less fast food. Your body will thank you later on in life. I'm 30 and already suffering from the same exact mistake. Next just get a rewards card from Penfed for gas 4.25% and maybe one or two revolving 5% category cards. Boom easy.
Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.